Larger panel or smaller icons?

D2806 vs D2875  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How to accommodate more entities in the right selection panel?

• expand panel (D2806)
    • shrink icons (D2875)

This poll is closed to new votes

On 7/18/2020 at 11:35 AM, Nescio said:

Everyone, I'd like your attention for the following.

Currently the right selection panel panel only supports up to 8 × 3 = 24 icons, which limits things for future additions (and mods). There are two competing proposals to address that:

It would be great if you could indicate which one you prefer.

Everyone, feel free to vote on how to accommodate more entities in the right selection panel. The more people participate, the better!

[EDIT] How the selection panels would look in a game session:

with D2806:

D2806.thumb.png.4f6780b62f500bad0f25584631f91a1e.png

with D2875:

D2875.thumb.png.ed76f22c3e5f579e3d025ba3ef49e2e1.png

Edited by Nescio
screenshots
  • Like 1

Why don't have a third option? In my opinion, the more icons at once, the worse the clarity.

So I would suggest to splitt them into sub panels like in Spellforce 3.

Spellforce.png.2538562569026f4eba698c6f99944262.png

I can think of three different variations. First possibility, splitting them into phases like Spellforce. Second possibility, splitting them into buildings and units. Or splitting them into civil and military.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OptimusShepard said:

Why don't have a third option? In my opinion, the more icons at once, the worse the clarity.

So I would suggest to splitt them into sub panels like in Spellforce 3.

I can think of three different variations. First possibility, splitting them into phases like Spellforce. Second possibility, splitting them into buildings and units. Or splitting them into civil and military.

Whilst that may be worth exploring, it probably would require partially overhauling the gui session code, which is rather complicated, realistically it's something for the distant future, thus not an option right now.

The choice is between D2806 and D2875 because these are the patches available and ready to be reviewed and committed, i.e. a simple and ready solution for right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Whilst that may be worth exploring, it probably would require partially overhauling the gui session code, which is rather complicated, realistically it's something for the distant future, thus not an option right now.

The choice is between D2806 and D2875 because these are the patches available and ready to be reviewed and committed, i.e. a simple and ready solution for right now.

I see, thx (y)

8 hours ago, badosu said:

Is it possible to identify the resolution and make the panel larger? Otherwise add a row for lower resolutions

On low resolution screens (e.g. 1024×768) the smaller icon size shouldn't be a problem. On high resolution screens (e.g. 1920×1080) you can insert e.g.

gui.scale = "1.5"

in your local user.cfg file (see https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths ) to compensate.

It's missing for D2806 (and also for other people who want to try redesigning the gui session panels in mods). I've included it over there, but when fetching the patch, the png is loaded inproperly. Adding it into the public mod anyway would be an improvement, having only 7 out of 8 possibilities does not really make sense. Besides, it's just 132 bytes. :)

10 hours ago, badosu said:

Is it possible to identify the resolution and make the panel larger? Otherwise add a row for lower resolutions

Yes it's possible. Have a look on the link

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1253

Attend, that you won't get the real monitor resolution. You get the resolution that 0 A.D. uses. On Windows it's the monitor resolution divided by the scaling factor of Windows.

But I think an extra option is too much work for to less people. I guess, nearly no one uses an monitor with an resolution lower than 1366 x 768 (old notebooks). If something is redone, it should be done for high resolution, in a view to the future.  In a few years the named notebook resolutions will be obsolet too. So working on low resolution will be a waste of time. Meanwhile "gui.scale", like @Nescio said, should do the job.

Edited by OptimusShepard

11 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It's basically because of the image stretching. It does some average with pixels to scale to your monitor size, causing such things. I was however surprised it didn't happen with yours, but I guess it's because of it's shape.

If it's just image stretching then it could be solved by simply scaling up those images. Here you go: borders.zip

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

It has the same bug with downsizing because it does the converse, but thanks ^^"

Actually I don't think that's true. I did the following:

• scale up some images:
    • art/textures/ui/global/border/line_corner_*: 4×4 → 16×16
    • line_horiz.png: 256×4 → 4096×16
    • line_vert.png: 4×256 → 16×4096
    • ../session/minimap_circle_modern.png: 256×256 → 1024×1024
  • bundled the png images as a mod (should work with any 0 A.D. version): gui_borders.zip
  • tried it out with gui.scale = {1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4 (not recommended)}:
Spoiler

1581398811_100.thumb.png.4e14053395dacbef28142b4c32eb6a39.png

892734989_150.thumb.png.f78fcb98a443c71c8247e53fc280ba4f.png

1841301444_200.thumb.png.f638f08374d5fbb6f03d3a4742f1ed9f.png

1473966886_300.thumb.png.cc3b33870b9e358ce58339317d4d62d7.png

703058809_400.thumb.png.9a9caf19464962f00ec1e8fcd2b54dc3.png

Downsizing looks fine. Please try it out and see for yourself.

24 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Indeed. Well I guess that why super sampling is so popular. Unfortunately, I can't really use such high resolution textures for that purpose or @vladislavbelov will yell at me :D

Is 16×16 really a high resolution texture? Those pngs were created ten (!) years ago, but nowadays some people have 3840×2160 screens, therefore scaling them up is not inappropiate, hence the mod.

• Like 1