===[COMPLETED]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 25)

45 minutes ago, smiley said:

Just nuke around 75% of the RMS folder. There are a few well made ones and the rest were made with a quantity over quality approach. Even with new graphics, they would still look pretty bad.

Can't say I disagree. Maybe not 75%, but we could certainly use a 'Maps in need of work' category where we put the garbage.

I think 'random' is more easily understood than 'procedural', so I'd rather keep it, but I'm probably OK with splitting the maps in more category for the time being, particularly removing some of the more special maps (arena, the one with no wood, ...) from the general random pool.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wraitii said:

I think 'random' is more easily understood than 'procedural', so I'd rather keep it,

Yes true. I just find it a bit much that there is the random option in the random maps category and also the map unknown, which is also kind of a random choice. That is confusingly random.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smiley said:

Just nuke around 75% of the RMS folder. There are a few well made ones and the rest were made with a quantity over quality approach. Even with new graphics, they would still look pretty bad.

While the quality varies there aren't that many dupes in terms of gameplay. The least desirable is to just have a dozen good looking mainlands. Or in other words an awful looking but unique map shouldn't be dropped but marked as in need of work.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It doesn't work. It always defaults back to fauna_chicken. It doesn't matter what animal I put there, it's always overridden to fauna_chicken when the map is generated. Any ideas? 

I'm no RM expert, but it seems that the "placePlayerBases" doesn't account for biome. (Specifically "placePlayerBaseChicken" in the player.js in rmgen-common.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

@Angen @wraitii

When I try to make this happen for the India biome:

"chicken": "gaia/fauna_peacock"

It doesn't work. It always defaults back to fauna_chicken. It doesn't matter what animal I put there, it's always overridden to fauna_chicken when the map is generated. Any ideas? 

I did it in the pre-colonial biome to show turkeys in place of chickens and it worked.

highland.jsonhighland.js

• Like 1

Regarding "Steppe" biome for random mainland. Because of the nature of the Steppe biome (no/ only a few trees), there will probably be big problems with the resource availability (especially wood). So if this biome comes up in the random biome choice for Mainland and the players are not prepared for it, then this may cause some frustration and aborted games.

So is there a way to add automatically more wood as starting resource for this biome? Or an autoresearch tech, which reduces all wood costs?

Further question: Does the resourceCounts in the biome .json work only for trees or also for stone/metal/hunt ect. ? Judging from the randombiome.js it is only trees, which would be sad.

• wowgetoffyourcellphone changed the title to ===[COMPLETED]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 25)