===[COMPLETED]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 25)

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A reimagined Lorraine Plain map using new Temperate terrains

Replacing rivers with streets makes this sort of a different map. More like yet another variation of mainland.

The farmland in front of red seems to be a mound. Usually the darker colours are at the lower parts signifying wet while the higher parts already dried after some rain.

I really like the trees in all your screenshots.

3 hours ago, hyperion said:

Replacing rivers with streets makes this sort of a different map. More like yet another variation of mainland.

Indeed. Maybe kinda like Hillcountry from AOE1. 

3 hours ago, hyperion said:

I really like the trees in all your screenshots.

I only use the good tree models for my maps. If I have my way, all the maps for A25 will do the same until all the trees look good. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Terrain Overhaul has begun for A25 (terrains successfully ported over from Delenda Est to A25 dev version, locally):

yf7Qloy.jpg

The current idea is to release the new terrains with A25, and have all the old terrains exist alongside the new terrains for 1 development cycle (A25 released-A26 release), so that map makers and modders (and WFG) can have a whole dev cycle to retrofit their existing maps. Then the old terrains would be eliminated at the A26 release. A26 would include a script to help anyone port over any other maps they may have to the new set of terrains (the switching will be rough approximations).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• wowgetoffyourcellphone changed the title to ===[TASK]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 25)
5 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Is this graphics going to be implemented in A25? Do you think we could make an OP graphics mod for people with especially good GPU?

I plan to integrate those maps and terrains yes. Other maps won't probably get an overhaul soon. (Unless we get more help that is)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Compared to modern games, these really aren't all that "OP" graphics. I'm just using the capabilities already in the engine. The old terrain textures never used the engine's capabilities in any consistent way.

EDIT: Combined with some good lighting settings and only using the best assets in the game (the best tree actors, etc.), you start to get a game that looks somewhat modern. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alre said:

Those rock textures are pretty awesome. What's the plan with random maps? There I could help a bit.

The plan is we need help to substitute the textures with the new ones. Might not happen before A26 though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

The plan is we need help to substitute the textures with the new ones. Might not happen before A26 though.

Can the community help? Is there a table of texture x / substitutes for / texture y? I believe that on random maps it would be a very easy thing to do (a modified biome changes several maps at once). I think it would be nice to have some easy requests, but tedious to make so that the rest of the community can help, many want to help this I am sure (I don't want to appear in the credits or anything, just help in whatever way possible for me).

• Like 1

There are few steps

1. Identify all the maps that are unfinished / broken and make a list
    1. Delete or update those maps.
  2. Identify textures that need to be replaced with the new ones from delenda est.
    1. Write a script to update the pmp files with the new texture references
    2. Write a script to update the js files with those new textures.
    3. Commit the new texture files
      1. Make sure their resolution are consistent eg no more than 2k for diffuse and norm, spec could be smaller like 1k
      2. Make sure they are named properly and adjust the scripts accordingly
    4. Update the maps
  3. Identify sub par props and make a list
    1. Delete or update those props. Consider support for Lods.
  4. (Optional) browse the map packs   around (eg balanced maps), and propose some new maps updated with the new textures.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

Identify all the maps that are unfinished / broken and make a list

Please, clean up the list! :D Less is more! Although the collaborative effort must be respected and exalted in this project, this does not mean that all visual resources must remain in the game forever. Each thing has its time and space inside 0 A.D. history. There will be times when pieces of code, visuals, music, must be replaced. For now, I think only high quality maps should survive. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Please, clean up the list! :D Less is more! Although the collaborative effort must be respected and exalted in this project, this does not mean that all visual resources must remain in the game forever. Each thing has its time and space inside 0 A.D. history. There will be times when pieces of code, visuals, music, must be replaced. For now, I think only high quality maps should survive. 

Perhaps an official mod on github (also on mod.io?) With the old works that were part of 0ad one day, in addition to a tribute would be available to future mods or the general public.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lopess said:

Perhaps an official mod on github (also on mod.io?) With the old works that were part of 0ad one day, in addition to a tribute would be available to future mods or the general public.

Perhaps. :) Luckily though, every past alpha release is still available for anyone and everyone to download and try out if they wish. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Perhaps. :) Luckily though, every past alpha release is still available for anyone and everyone to download and try out if they wish. :)

It was just an idea, I know that there are previous versions, since downloading an entire version is very different from a single mod with some art resources, nothing more than a few megabytes. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FWfr6vW.jpg

q51v3c7.jpg

Hercynian Forest

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Hercynian_Forest

The Hercynian Forest was an ancient and dense forest that stretched across Western Central Europe, from Northeastern France to the Carpathian Mountains, including most of Southern Germany, however its boundaries are a matter of debate. It formed the northern boundary of that part of Europe known to writers of Antiquity. The ancient sources[1] are equivocal about how far east it extended. Many agree that the Black Forest, which extended east from the Rhine valley, formed the western side of the Hercynian, except, for example, Lucius of Tongeren. According to him, it included many massifs west of the Rhine.[2]

• Like 5

On 29/04/2021 at 4:25 PM, Stan` said:

There are few steps

1. Identify all the maps that are unfinished / broken and make a list
  2. Identify textures that need to be replaced with the new ones from delenda est.
    1. Write a script to update the pmp files with the new texture references
    2. Write a script to update the js files with those new textures.
    3. Commit the new texture files
      1. Make sure their resolution are consistent eg no more than 2k for diffuse and norm, spec could be smaller like 1k
      2. Make sure they are named properly and adjust the scripts accordingly
    4. Update the maps
  3. Identify sub par props and make a list
    1. Delete or update those props. Consider support for Lods.
  4. (Optional) browse the map packs   around (eg balanced maps), and propose some new maps updated with the new textures.

Here a first attempt at ordering the maps: * (the maps that are not mentioned should stay in their category)

Map filter in each category:
    All
    Land (can you reach the opponent by land)
    Naval (need ships to reach the opponent)

Category: Skirmish
    Move Skirmish Demo to Demo/Test maps
    Move Gallic Fields to Trigger Maps

Category: Procedural (former "Random")
    Move RMS Test to Demo/Test maps
    Move Wall Demo to Demo/Test maps
    Move Jebel Barkal to Trigger Maps
    Move Extinct Volcano to Trigger Maps
    Move Danubius to Trigger Maps
    Move Polar Sea to Trigger Maps
    Move Survival of the Fittest to Trigger Maps
    Move Canyon to Arena
    Move Fortress to Arena
    Move Gear to Arena
    Move Harbor to Arena
    Move Hell's Pass to Arena
    Move Lion's Den to Arena
    Move Snowflake Searocks to Arena

Category: Arena:
    Canyon
    Fortress
    Gear
    Harbor
    Hell's Pass
    Lion's Den
    Snowflake Searocks

Category: Scenario
    Move all Trigger maps to Trigger maps
    Move all Demo, Test and Sandbox maps to Demo/Test maps

Category: Trigger Maps
    Jebel Barkal
    Extinct Volcano
    Danubius
    Polar Sea
    Survival of the Fittest
    Gallic Fields    

Category: Demo/Test maps
    All the demo/Test maps

What to look out for to identify the unfinished/broken maps? All of the ones I tried work as I would expect.

Edited by maroder

• wowgetoffyourcellphone changed the title to ===[COMPLETED]=== Terrain and Map Overhaul (Milestone: Alpha 25)