Hero and champion for the Zapotecs in Terra Magna

Lopess

With this topic I would like to open a discussion on how to add at least two heroes and a champion unit for the Zapotecs in Terra Magna, in addition to future improvements always looking for the most historically accurate but without forgetting the gameplay, which I currently believe very affected the lack of certain units in the Zapotecs.

Even with the current data we do not have from the old Zapotec kings (even with some studies still under development of the Zapotec script in which it is believed to have identified some names from the 4th, 5th century etc.)

Even with the lack of translated names, we are aware of the existence of a strong and centralized state in the Oaxaca valley since at least 500 B.C.
Zapotec ceramics can help us with representations of both kings and great warriors.

I researched for a long time about the zapotecs and I believe that they can be improved and that they have an incredible potential to be a good civ in Terra Magna using the same period as the other factions of the 0 a.d. I am willing within my limitations to create what is necessary to implement the changes. I believe that we can create a mini test mod with changes depending on terra magna before applying any changes. I invite everyone involved in Terra Magna to comment on your ideas as well as all fellow modifiers / researchers. Of course if you want. Sorry for any wrong translation, I'm not an English speaker.

http://www.famsi.org/zapotecwriting/        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapotec_civilization

zapotec-king.jpg

zapotec_king.jpg

zapotec_2.jpg

65-3.jpg

science-meets-art-zapotec-king-001-closeup.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The "Battle Priest" could be upgraded to hero status, and then we can add a "Warrior King" hero unit.

That would really be an interesting idea, but maybe an upgrade to a champion Sarcedoth warrior would be better? Since the "monarchy" Zapoteca would be hereditary, diverse inscriptions of monuments in Monte Alban exist that make reference to the hereditary right of the King.

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The "Battle Priest" could be upgraded to hero status, and then we can add a "Warrior King" hero unit.

Many of the ideas I speak of are in this study available on the Famsi website. On page 25 there is a probable line of Zapotec kings. In addition there are several interesting images of elite warriors (Warriors Noble Champions ???).

http://www.famsi.org/zapotecwriting/zapotec_figures.pdf

Edited by Lopess
  • Thanks 1

Something interesting that in the pre-classical / classical period, the zapotec monarchs are almost always represented with helmets and jaguar clothes, sometimes even as half-jaguar beings, half-men.

Captura de tela de 2020-07-17 12-37-13.png

Captura de tela de 2020-07-17 12-21-12.png

Edited by Lopess
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, asterix said:

Is not that bit cartoony?  Maybe it is because it is low poly. 

Unfortunately my knowledge in blender is greater than in textures, I accept help in that part. But the helmet itself has more than 2000 triangles, more than many Hellenistic helmets in the game.

Captura de tela de 2020-07-17 14-39-27.png

Edited by Lopess

2 hours ago, Lopess said:

I am trying a different approach, a little more similar to reconstruction.

Captura de tela de 2020-07-17 12-06-11.png

That's pretty amazing man...! Really.... 

2300 tris ain't nothing for a King :P 

Why not just call them "Jaguar Lords"? Sounds super cool and apparently what they are referred to by one of your sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

If you don't mind, in Delenda Est I will go with my original idea for the heroes and make the "Battle Priest" a hero and the "Jaguar King" a hero, just so they can have a choice just like the other civs have a choice.

If I do this, do you have any suggestions for the auras?

Each hero in Delenda Est has these attributes:

• Primary Aura (ranged, 20-50 meters) or Bonus
    • The bigger the range, the lower the effect; the shorter the range, the greater the effect
    • "Bonus" could be like Agis, where he has 3x more health than other heroes, or be like Leonidas who has greater attack than other heroes, or Iphicrates who is much faster than other heroes, etc.
  • Secondary Aura (global) or Bonus
    • "Global" means it covers the whole map for as long as the hero is alive. Global auras tend to be weaker in effect because they cover more units/structures.
  • Special Technology
    • Unlocked in Town or City phase.
  • Mount or other personal Upgrade in City Phase.
    • Most heroes can upgrade to a war horse (all of the Roman heroes) or chariot (Cambyses and Xerxes). Leonidas upgrades to a frenzy mode. Socrates upgrades to campaign armor. Since Zapotecs don't have horses, they can maybe upgrade in some other way as Leonidas and Socrates do.
Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 2