Need to find the path to the background texture used while loading the game

Hi,
I'm looking for the path to the background texture, the one that is used while the game is loading. In the following screenshot, you can see that I've managed to change some things (the parchment, and the quote), but I can't find the path for the background. Is it in some subdirectory in /0ad/mods/public/art/textures? Or is it somewhere else?

Screenshot from 2020-07-06 01-32-07.png

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

art\textures\ui\global\modern\background.png

Thanks, but I should have said that I'm using Alpha 23, I don't have the \modern\ directory...

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Nope, not that one :) The one next to the public.zip :) 

Sorry, I don't have a public.zip... I do have a public folder, and a mod folder next to it... which is empty. Oh well, never mind. I can make my mod without that texture... although I'm starting to wonder if it really is a texture, or black/transparent JavaScript background...

4 hours ago, Nescio said:

You can find it at https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/mod/art/textures/ui/global/modern

The mod mod is loaded before any other mods, so if you place your new texture in your mod under art/textures/ui/global/modern/ as background.png, it should work.

It did. So, I see that Alpha 23 doesn't have a directory called modern, but nevertheless you can override the background by creating a /modern/ directory and the background.png... Interesting.

Screenshot from 2020-07-07 10-59-29.png

29 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Time to upgrade to SVN version, mang. 

Nah... I treat my software like I treat my clothes: I don't get new ones until the old ones are almost entirely destroyed.

• Thanks 1

You could download alpha 1 :D 

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

It did. So, I see that Alpha 23 doesn't have a directory called modern, but nevertheless you can override the background by creating a /modern/ directory and the background.png... Interesting.

Screenshot from 2020-07-07 10-59-29.png

It does, in the mod mod :)  The game bundles two mods by default mod and public in the installation folder, the rest goes into share.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Actually it does, but the modern folder is located inside the mod mod, not the public mod. The mod mod was introduced in 15678 (six years ago). Every release since has it, A17 is the first.
The order in which mods are loaded is specified in the configuration file, e.g.:

enabledmods.mod = "mod public"

For each, the game will first look at the 0 A.D. data located under Computer/usr/share/0ad/mods/ and subsequently for local modifications located under Home/./local/share/0ad/mods/ , which are empty by default. Finally the local user mod is applied. Files that are loaded later override those that were loaded earlier.

58 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Time to upgrade to SVN version, mang. 

Actually I would recommend against: in the development version basically anything can break overnight. Maintaining a mod for that is a lot more extra working than sticking with the latest stable. Besides, the A23 game data is about 2.1 GB, but the svn version 18.5 GB in total.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Nescio said:

For each, the game will first look at the 0 A.D. data located under Computer/usr/share/0ad/mods/

I don't have that path... but I just found which one it is (I also found what @Stan` was talking about, including the public.zip). I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver). The path on my computer is usr/share/games/0ad/mods/mod.

417298980_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0712-51-40.thumb.png.7d520869fc67180d99e2a7b772fa2fbe.png

21 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Besides, the A23 game data is about 2.1 GB, but the svn version 18.5 GB in total.

: O
That's a huge difference...

Edited by m7600
stuff
52 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Actually I would recommend against: in the development version basically anything can break overnight. Maintaining a mod for that is a lot more extra working than sticking with the latest stable. Besides, the A23 game data is about 2.1 GB, but the svn version 18.5 GB in total.

I guess it's about what one is developing for; what kind of release. I use the SVN version because I am developing the mod for the next version that drops. I can release the mod immediately.

The problem with developing to the older release is that once A24 drops, no one is going to care about your old mod. And now if you want to update your mod to the new alpha you have 2000 changes to adjust to at once instead of adjusting one change at a time developing to SVN.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I guess it's about what one is developing for; what kind of release. I use the SVN version because I am developing the mod for the next version that drops. I can release the mod immediately.

The problem with developing to the older release is that once A24 drops, no one is going to care about your old mod. And now if you want to update your mod to the new alpha you have 2000 changes to adjust to at once instead of adjusting one change at a time developing to SVN.

It also depends on how many files your mod has, I think. My mod just introduces 4 new factions. Assuming that I will have to make changes to all of the actor files for example, that's not much, since there's only around 80-100 of them.

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

The path on my computer is usr/share/games/0ad/mods/mod.

Same here; “Computer” indicates the step below, which is displayed with this symbol on your end: symbol.png.aee8ad877a6ab12cd51cb78c938e0479.png (Just click on it to see what I mean.)

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

: O
That's a huge difference...

Yes, it is, though A24, once released, will probably be only somewhat larger than A23 is. First of all, the A23 game data is compressed; extracted it's about double the size. For comparison, the (uncompressed) data folder of the development version is 4.2 GB. The development version also contains binaries, executables, libraries, and other files needed to compile the game on various platforms; the Spidermonkey folder alone is already 3.3 GB. Finally it contains the entire svn revision history since the start of the project, which can only grow, and is currently 4.8 GB.

Long story short, if you want to participate in the development of the game, you need the development version, for everyone else, the latest stable (i.e. A23) is all you need.

57 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

True, updating a mod to the next version only after it is released is a lot of work at once, but still a lot less work than the total of keeping your mod in step with the development version during the months (now years) prior to the stable release. Correcting for only the final differences is fundamentally more efficient than taking care of all the intermediate steps in between. However, you are not me, so it's perfectly fine to make a different choice.

Edited by Nescio
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Nescio said:

True, updating a mod to the next version only after it is released is a lot of work at once, but still a lot less work than the total of keeping your mod in step with the development version during the months (now years) prior to the stable release. Correcting for only the final differences is fundamentally more efficient than taking care of all the intermediate steps in between. However, you are not me, so it's perfectly fine to make a different choice.

I couldn't imagine waiting a year and a half before updating my mod. If the alphas were released like they were originally, at 4 month increments, then I could maybe see waiting, but this 18 month release cycle? Nah.

But now I realize that if WFG is going to continue to have year-long cycles it's probably best that I start just releasing updates for the last release. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
Realization

What I would like to start seeing is a 12-month development cycle with 2 releases. 9 months for the "major" release, then 3 months later for a "fix" release, or something like that (I am not a professional developer, so feel free to tear this idea apart). So, imagine a development cycle starts in January. The Major release occurs 9 months later sometime in September, and then the Fix release happens in December. Then on Jan 1 the next cycle starts over. Part of WFG's problem is that there are no longer any deadlines. Back in the day it seemed like WFG imposed deadlines on themselves strived to meet them. usually those deadlines were blown right past, but they were there, and if it took another month to get the Alpha release out then that was okay, but there was that pressure to get it out. Am I correct in that that isn't how things are anymore? 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Same here; “Computer” indicates the step below, which is displayed with this symbol on your end: symbol.png.aee8ad877a6ab12cd51cb78c938e0479.png (Just click on it to see what I mean.)

Yes, I know. The difference between our paths is that mine has a /games/ directory in the middle, between /share/ and /0ad/, while yours seems to not have that... are we using the same distro and version?

15 hours ago, m7600 said:

Yes, I know. The difference between our paths is that mine has a /games/ directory in the middle, between /share/ and /0ad/, while yours seems to not have that... are we using the same distro and version?

No, Fedora 32 here, and indeed I don't have a /games/ folder inserted. Anyway, you've found what you're looking for, that's what matters.

Whenever I want to look up an individual file to modify, I tend to use the A23 github mirror instead: https://github.com/0ad/0ad/tree/eb2fc5c53d0c55de308be6dc5bb7f952cfbc210d/binaries/data/mods

• Thanks 1