Error message on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

@Stan` thanks for the detailed build instructions. I was able to build it on Ubuntu 20.04 (AMD Ryzen 5 4600 + NVIDIA 1650Ti setup). However, on starting the game it is showing me
```WARNING: You are using 'llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0, 128 bits)' graphics driver, expect very poor performance!
WARNING: If possible install a proper graphics driver for your hardware.```

The gameplay is like 6 FPS against AI on a 2 player medium map. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

thank you first for the awesome game that you have created. I have enjoyed it a lot!

A few days ago I got my new PC with AMD Ryzen 7 pro 4750g (I have no additional graphics card, just the build-in one), installed Ubuntu 20.04 and after that 0AD from snap: sudo snap install 0ad. As you can guess the game didn't run. It didn't open at all. Error messages seemed very similar to the ones posted at the beginning of this thread. Then I uninstalled 0AD and installed it from the Ubuntu Software Center but with the same result.

After some googling I arrived at this thread and followed the steps listed by Stan' in his last comment on June 29. Up to sh update-workspaces.sh -j3 everything went fine, but when I executed sh update-workspaces.sh -j3 I got the following error message:

Building SpiderMonkey...

Package nspr was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `nspr.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'nspr' found
ERROR: SpiderMonkey build failed

then I got back the prompt of the terminal. Does anyone have an idea how to deal with that error?

Thanks for the reply, Stan!

How can I install nspr and where can one find the updated instructions?
BTW, I thought that those instructions include the "patching of the game" (Step 4). Is there another patch that has to be made?

P.S. Today I realized that my default Python version is Python 2.7.18 and not Python 3.8.5. Since the default version for Ubuntu 20.04 is Python3, I assume that the change happened when I executed the command 'sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev python subversion zlib1g-dev libenet-dev'. I plan to change the default version back to Python3 because of other projects. Will that affect the game?

Edited by just_a_fan

2 hours ago, just_a_fan said:

and where can one find the updated instructions?

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions

2 hours ago, just_a_fan said:

BTW, I thought that those instructions include the "patching of the game" (Step 4). Is there another patch that has to be made?

(Step 4) is fixing the crash which occurs when you start the game. The other bug doesn't occur on Linux that often. It's known as a slow-down, and speed-up bug. If you like, you can use this (https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3066) to fix it.

Have a look on the main topic.

Edited by OptimusShepard

Hi,
thanks for all the advice. I made some progress, I think (or at least now I get a different error message).

Here is what I did:
- In addition to Step 4 from Stan's comment I also modified the timer.cpp file as explained in the second link provided by OptimusShepard (https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3066).
- I installed the package libmozjs-68-dev as suggested by the updated instructions linked by OptimusShepard.
 ($ sudo apt install libmozjs-68-dev)
- Then I installed the nspr package as suggested by Stan:
   ($ sudo apt install libnspr4-dev)
- Next, I navigated to the workspaces directory ($ cd ~/0ad/build/workspaces/) and, following the updated instructions, executed
   ($ ./update-workspaces.sh --with-system-mozjs)

The execution went further this time (I think), but eventually I got the following error:

Linking Premake5
make: Leaving directory '/home/my_user_name/0ad/build/premake/premake5/build/gmake.unix'

Premake args:  --with-system-mozjs --atlas
Error: invalid option 'with-system-mozjs'
ERROR: Premake failed

Any ideas what the reasons for this error are and how to solve it?

8 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

It should be Spidermonkey 78. Seems to, that the general instructions are up to date, but not the Ubuntu specific ones.

I thought he was building A23B ? So that would be 38. And installing the rest is pointless because it's no longer in repos.

OK, I indeed didn't specify it explicitly. I just want to install the version that is currently in the Software Center of Ubuntu 20.04. Here it says "Version:  0.0.23b-alpha", "Channel: latest/stable".
So, what should I do with this Spidermonkey? Do I have to install 38, 68 or 78 (respectively libmozjs-38-dev, libmozjs-68-dev or libmozjs-68-dev) and do I need it at all? If a different version than 68 is needed, should I uninstall 68 first?
I executed "./update-workspaces.sh --with-system-mozjs" simply because that was given in the Ubuntu section of the updated instructions. I can remove the last part (--with-system-mozjs) but should I put something instead of it?

I assume I am just a couple of correct commands away from my goal, but am reluctant to just start experimenting because I don't want to accidentally break something and make things worse and hard to fix.

37 minutes ago, just_a_fan said:

So, what should I do with this Spidermonkey? Do I have to install 38, 68 or 78 (respectively libmozjs-38-dev, libmozjs-68-dev or libmozjs-68-dev) and do I need it at all? If a different version than 68 is needed, should I uninstall 68 first?
I executed "./update-workspaces.sh --with-system-mozjs" simply because that was given in the Ubuntu section of the updated instructions. I can remove the last part (--with-system-mozjs) but should I put something instead of it?

You don't need to install any version of SpiderMonkey, the 0 A.D. repository includes the required version by default. The --with-system-mozjs is optional, just omit it.

41 minutes ago, just_a_fan said:

OK, I indeed didn't specify it explicitly. I just want to install the version that is currently in the Software Center of Ubuntu 20.04. Here it says "Version:  0.0.23b-alpha", "Channel: latest/stable".

Looking at your first post, I understand you want to install the latest stable, but patch it to work with your AMD Ryzen processor. A23b was released two years ago, so you don't want the latest svn development version. What I would recommend you to do is:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Nescio!

I downloaded the corresponding version and followed the steps. (Strangely enough I didn't have to patch any files. The two files cache.cpp and timer.cpp were already corrected. BTW, I also had to install rustc via '$ sudo apt install rustc'.)
This time I made it to the last step (i.e. the compilation), but it failed:

~/0ad/build/workspaces/gcc$ make -j3
==== Building mocks_real (release) ====
Creating obj/mocks_real_Release
mocks_real.cpp
Linking mocks_real
==== Building network (release) ====
Creating obj/network_Release
precompiled.h
In file included from ../../../source/lib/precompiled.h:111,
                 from ../../../source/pch/network/precompiled.h:19:
../../../source/ps/CLogger.h:28:10: fatal error: fmt/printf.h: No such file or directory
   28 | #include <fmt/printf.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [network.make:138: obj/network_Release/precompiled.h.gch] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:77: network] Error 2

Any ideas how to fix that? Where do I get printf.h? Was it not supposed to be in the folder that I downloaded from GitHub or was it supposed to be created at one of the previous steps?

Thanks hyperion! I installed it. ($ sudo apt install libfmt-dev).
Now the game compiled successfully it seems. After executing '$ make -j3' it just returned to the prompt. However, how can I run the game? There is no folder 'system' in '0ad'. Here is what I have in the '0ad' directory (i.e., the output of $ ls):

binaries  docs       license_dbghelp.txt  license_lgpl-2.1.txt  LICENSE.txt  source
build     libraries  license_gpl-2.0.txt  license_mit.txt       README.txt

Did something go wrong or should I just search for the executable in another directory?

Thanks! That worked! The game runs fine, no problems detected so far, but it's different than the one I had.
Apparently, I now have Alpha XXIV instead of Alpha 23B, don't know why though. I followed the link provided by Nescio. When clicking in the upper right corner on the green button 'Code', GitHub provided me with the following link: https://github.com/0ad/0ad.git
By the list of files and the timestamp (Dec 9 2018) I assumed that it should be Alpha 23B. Anyway, the only question now is if I would be able to play together with someone who has Alpha XXIII.

Well you compiled A24 the dev version, so no you won't be able to play with A23B people.

Did you download the zip, or did you clone the repo?

If you cloned the repo, you can run

$ git log -q --grep 21946

which will give you

commit 535f7881d52ff25cabec5730c051f7552873b324 (tag: A23)
Author: Itms <Itms@3db68df2-c116-0410-a063-a993310a9797>
Date:   Sat Dec 8 22:04:04 2018 +0000

[i18n] Last manual update of the translations and associated credits.

git-svn-id: https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk@21946 3db68df2-c116-0410-a063-a993310a9797

Where the first line is the hash you need to revert to using

git reset 535f7881d52ff25cabec5730c051f7552873b324 --hard

Then you need to patch the game for it to work with your Ryzen CPU then recompile.

I cloned the repo using git.
After the reset that Stan' suggested I patched the two files and repeated Step 5. However, this time the compilation ($ make -j3) failed. Here is the last part with the error message:

Linking atlas
==== Building gui (release) ====
make[1]: *** No rule to make target '../../../source/gui/ObjectTypes/CButton.cpp', needed by 'obj/gui_Release/CButton.o'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
precompiled.h
make: *** [Makefile:129: gui] Error 2

Is there a way to fix that error?

The other way would be for the person that I am playing with to also switch to A24, I guess. However, he is playing on a Mac OS. Is there a repository on GitHub with A24 for Mac OS that he can clone?

How can I now (after the error compiling A23) switch back to A24? There should be a hash for that commit too. (Erasing everything and downloading it again should do the trick but it will take longer.)

Did you run

cd 0ad/build/workspaces/gcc/
make clean
cd ..
sh clean-workspaces.sh

before rebuilding?

13 minutes ago, just_a_fan said:

The other way would be for the person that I am playing with to also switch to A24, I guess. However, he is playing on a Mac OS. Is there a repository on GitHub with A24 for Mac OS that he can clone?

It's the same repository, 0 A.D. is cross-platform, he should just follow https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildInstructions#OSX

If you intend to play the development version (A24) with other players, it's very important to double-check everyone is at exactly the same revision/commit, to avoid going out of sync; the git mirrors are some hours behind the svn.

Thanks, Nescio! That helped me compile successfully. However, when I start the game now, I get the same error as at the very beginning of this thread. I don't understand why, since (after the cleaning of the workspace and before updating it and compiling) I fixed cache.cpp just like Stan' explains and also changed the few lines in timer.cpp.

BTW, what GitHub-link should I use when cloning the repository with git in order to get A23B?
I am thinking using https://github.com/0ad/0ad/tree/535f7881d52ff25cabec5730c051f7552873b324, since that seems to be the commit with A23B. However, clicking on the green button 'Code' gives me again https://github.com/0ad/0ad.git, hence executing $ git clone https://github.com/0ad/0ad.git I will download A24 as before, I assume.

(BTW, I tried downloading the zip-file twice, but the download failed both times at around 1.1 GB.)