Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Conozco argentinos, venezolanos, peruanos, y brasileros que coinciden en que los mexicanos tienen la mejor comida. No hay maíz tan bueno como el de México.

No todos los argentinos. Nunca probe el mauz de mexico.

@Trinketos es como el de centroamerica?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In addition to these, there were warriors with great tacapes: wooden maces with variations in size for the use of one or two hands. In addition to more rarely stone axes for combat.

Great images. They mainly represent the Tupi tribes that inhabited the coast, mainly the Tupinambas and their "eternal rivals" Tupiniquins, all of whom are Tupis. I think it would be interesting

So, while I'm finishing up my first mod, "African Empires", I'm thinking what other project I could work on next. I've been searching the web for a dedicated 4x FLOSS engine, but the ones I found

6 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

No todos los argentinos. Nunca probe el mauz de mexico.

@Trinketos es como el de centroamerica?

Tienen un sabor distinto ademas de que en México hay una gran variedad de maiz, yo lo siento en las tortillas que hacen en México y Guatemala, no se como sea en Honduras.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Tienen un sabor distinto ademas de que en México hay una gran variedad de maiz, yo lo siento en las tortillas que hacen en México y Guatemala, no se como sea en Honduras.

Deben ser iguales a las de Guatemala.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sturm said:

Well, let me feather my own nest... what could I say in favor of a specific mod for Brazilian indigenous populations? There are many peculiarities that would make a 0 ad mod like this a unique case...

That's true, although there's evidence for somewhat developed civilizations in the amazon, that are (unfortunately) being discovered recently due to deforestation we can't know much about it, how to make units etc... Most died of smallpox before the colonizers ever reached them.

What we have are knowledge of the indigenous after colonization and most are very spread out tribes with far less development, could still make for a fun game imo, mostly relying on capture as replacement for siege though. Archers, spearmen, maybe dart throwers as replacement for skirmishers...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, badosu said:

That's true, although there's evidence for somewhat developed civilizations in the amazon, that are (unfortunately) being discovered recently due to deforestation we can't know much about it, how to make units etc... Most died of smallpox before the colonizers ever reached them.

What we have are knowledge of the indigenous after colonization and most are very spread out tribes with far less development, could still make for a fun game imo, mostly relying on capture as replacement for siege though. Archers, spearmen, maybe dart throwers as replacement for skirmishers...

In addition to these, there were warriors with great tacapes: wooden maces with variations in size for the use of one or two hands. In addition to more rarely stone axes for combat.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The indigenous peoples of the Amazon, I read that their scientific development is more oriented to living in harmony with the forest than to deforesting it.

One of their technology  is terra preta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/226285356_Amerindian_Anthrosols_Amazonian_Dark_Earth_Formation_in_the_Upper_Xingu

https://edepot.wur.nl/356400

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The indigenous peoples of the Amazon, I read that their scientific development is more oriented to living in harmony with the forest than to deforesting it.

One of their technology  is terra preta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_preta

 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/226285356_Amerindian_Anthrosols_Amazonian_Dark_Earth_Formation_in_the_Upper_Xingu

https://edepot.wur.nl/356400

To a certain romanticism when describing the native peoples, for example, a common technique was coivara (burned in a restricted area to create a new garden). I believe that the biggest difference and that the individual wealth was more linked to items of prestige, bravery in battles, prestige in his village and number of relatives under "command" than accumulation of material goods more "objective".

A um certo romantismo ao descrever os povos nativos, por exemplo uma técnica comum era a coivara (queimada em uma área restrita para criação de uma nova roça).  Acredito que a maior diferença e que a riqueza individual estava mais ligada a itens de prestigio, bravura em batalhas, prestigio em sua aldeia e quantidade de parentes sobre "comando" do que acumulação de bens matérias mais "objetivo".

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lopess said:

In addition to these, there were warriors with great tacapes: wooden maces with variations in size for the use of one or two hands. In addition to more rarely stone axes for combat.

They could have some of the best archers among American civs, since they used longbows.

There are a couple mention of shields like in this picture:

05-Jean-de-Lery_histoire-Brasilien-Ameri

Some examples of decorative  feather clothing:kn28hm37avd01.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

 

_99564875_manto-tupinamba.jpg

A man from a uncontacted tribe wearing a feather skirt:

%C3%8Dndios_Isolados_4.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great images. They mainly represent the Tupi tribes that inhabited the coast, mainly the Tupinambas and their "eternal rivals" Tupiniquins, all of whom are Tupis.

I think it would be interesting to create a separate topic for a future South American Low lands mod.

Edited by Lopess
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lopess said:

Great images. They mainly represent the Tupi tribes that inhabited the coast, mainly the Tupinambas and their "eternal rivals" Tupiniquins, all of whom are Tupis.

I think it would be interesting to create a separate topic for a future South American Low lands mod.

A question for a Americas mod,  is if the civ should be called Tupis or Amazonians.

Depends on timeline imho.

For a colonial mod coastal Tupis would be more relevant; but for a pre-colonial one it would be interesting to portray the more complex cultures of the Amazon (With a geoglyph wonder and earth mounds as a unique building).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The indigenous peoples of the Amazon, I read that their scientific development is more oriented to living in harmony with the forest than to deforesting it.

I mean recent deforestation

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

They could have some of the best archers among American civs, since they used longbows.

There are a couple mention of shields like in this picture:

05-Jean-de-Lery_histoire-Brasilien-Ameri

Some examples of decorative  feather clothing:kn28hm37avd01.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

 

_99564875_manto-tupinamba.jpg

A man from a uncontacted tribe wearing a feather skirt:

%C3%8Dndios_Isolados_4.jpg

 

Are very impressive.

pRBMdZE.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lopess said:

I think it would be interesting to create a separate topic for a future South American Low lands mod.

Create one then :thumbup:

 

52 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

A question for a Americas mod,  is if the civ should be called Tupis or Amazonians.

I don't really have a strong opinion on this point. I guess I could say that the term "Amazon" is European. The Amazons were legendary warrior maidens from Greek mythology.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, m7600 said:

Create one then :thumbup:

 

I don't really have a strong opinion on this point. I guess I could say that the term "Amazon" is European. The Amazons were legendary warrior maidens from Greek mythology.

 

I think it depends, since I think that they were not all tupis, there were also the guaranies (these are the ones that I am going to add at first) and others that I do not remember

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Create one then :thumbup:

 

I don't really have a strong opinion on this point. I guess I could say that the term "Amazon" is European. The Amazons were legendary warrior maidens from Greek mythology.

Quote

The name Amazon is said to arise from a war Francisco de Orellana fought with the Tapuyas and other tribes. The women of the tribe fought alongside the men, as was their custom.[4] Orellana derived the name Amazonas from the Amazons of Greek mythology, described by Herodotus and Diodorus.[4]

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, getting this discussion back to the original point, what do you all think of using Pyrogenesis for a 4x mod? Do you think it's a good idea, or are there other FLOSS engines that would be better for this purpose?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GunChleoc said:

What's a 4x mod?

Using Wikipedia to help us... A 4X FLOSS game would be a... 

4X (abbreviation of Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) are a sub-genre of strategy-based computer and board games, and include both turn-based and real-time strategy (RTS) titles, just like 0 a.d.

- Free and open-source software (FOSS) or free/libre and open-source software (FLOSS) is software that can be classified as both free software and open-source software.

- Game... well, its a game! An electronic one, in this case. ;)

Edited by Sturm
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GunChleoc said:

What's a 4x mod?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4X

"4X (abbreviation of Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) are a subgenre of strategy-based computer and board games, and include both turn-based and real-time strategy titles. The gameplay involves building an empire. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of non-military routes to supremacy. (...) 4X games are known for their complex gameplay and strategic depth. Gameplay usually takes priority over elaborate graphics. Whereas other strategy games focus on combat, 4X games also offer more detailed control over diplomacy, economics, and research; creating opportunities for diverse strategies. This also challenges the player to manage several strategies simultaneously, and plan for long-term objectives. (...)"

I would say that the apex of the genre is Dwarf Fortress, although it is not generally classified as such. To give you an idea of how complex Dwarf Fortress is, one of the players built a Turing complete machine inside the game, using resources such as metal, stone and wood.

 

Edited by m7600
Fixed the quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"(...) Dwarven Computer: A complete 8-bit programmable computer built inside Dwarf Fortress. It has 672 pumps, 2,000 logs, 8,500 mechanisms and thousands of other assorted bits and knobs like doors and stone blocks. The Dwarven computer is Turing complete, which means it meets the definition of a universal computer. (...)"

Here is another note on the subject.

Edited by m7600
Another link
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...