How feasible is it to make a map pool mod?

badosu

Hi,

I'd like to have in 0ad something like this:

- Host creates a map pool
- When game starts, one random map from map pool is chosen
- All players must be able to see map pool (assuming they have mod)
- (optional) Host can set bans
- (optional) Vanilla compatible (assuming it's possible to register a new game stanza at the last moment with chosen map)
- (optional) Avoid displaying selected map until generation is finished (this is most certainly not vanilla compatible)
- (optional) Biome bans (everyone hates tropical)

Currently, players who like Unknown Land play it only because it adds this variability, but in truthness it has quite a few bad generations. This customizability also increases enjoyment for players, especially competitive 1v1.

How feasible would this be?

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

The map browser could be handly for this: select maps clikcing on them -> they get highlighted in special color -> other players could see selected ones -> use them, maybe make option to save list  -> ??? 

Ofc none of this is supported by vanilla but can be done anyways and be compatible with non mod players.

svn 24 did some gui code structure changes that could make it more viable altrough you need some time to get used to the new code.

You  can start trying the basic and see where it goes by making a mod, ignore edge cases and  custom config options for the time being.

Personally for a23 I use custom default filter to choose only from the maps that i judge good enough for multiplayer, then I select random from those maps. Worked well in the teamgames I hosted, but a solution directly in the game could be nicer for sure.
That said that my solution don't require other players to have any mod so maybe it can be good enough temporarily for you.

44 minutes ago, nani said:

The map browser could be handly for this: select maps clikcing on them -> they get highlighted in special color -> other players could see selected ones -> use them, maybe make option to save list  -> ??? 

Yeah, for selecting map pool that might be an option although I feel the map browser is kinda clunky (e.g. scroll zooms instead of scrolling). Maybe I would just make a simple selector just with the map names for setting and display as that makes it more straightforward on the gamesetup screen.

33 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

Personally for a23 I use custom default filter to choose only from the maps that i judge good enough for multiplayer, then I select random from those maps.

I did not know about that! Unfortunately the player can't see what the host has set, the idea here is to make it as straightforward as possible to use on competitive gameplay.