Deserting Units

Black Op

As far as I know, this has not been implemented in a RTS yet :) . While I was thinking about how morale will be used in 0A.D./TLA, I suddenly thought about units deserting and running away from a battle. I think this is a good idea so I’ll explain my idea.

Let’s say there are 5 levels of morale that each unit has. Each unit that is made first starts out on a morale level determined by the civ/race to which it belongs. Units from civs like the Romans of 0A.D. or the Noldor of TLA start out with a higher morale level around 4 or 5 while more barbarian like civs like say the Gauls or the Forces of Darkness start out with a level around 3. The morale level can be determined by various things including how big a civs army is, how many are being killed in that civ, the presence of a leader, the amount of things like gold and food, and so on.

Here’s the fun part. Units with a higher morale level tend to do more damage than those with a lower one. When a unit has reached either Level 1 or 2 (depending on the civ once again) and is in the middle of a battle, or when a leader has been slain, it will desert the battle. Unless you bring another leader to those units, you lose control of them. If the enemy decides to pursue them, they will continue to run until they come to either friendly defenses or they are surrounded. Depending on the civ, they can surrender, fight to the death, or commit mass suicide (that may be determined by a percent rate).

Well, that’s it. If you want to praise me, make suggestions, or tell me you already figured out something like this, then feel free to do so. ;)

That's a cool idea in theory, but I can see that becoming very frustrating in actual gameplay. I think it would work pretty well if morale only affected the amount of damage each unit does. It would be cool if we could also display the loss in morale graphically, like darkening the units or the area.

I think they got morale just spot on in Medieval: Total War. When your units get too low a morale, for example if a commander or such dies, or they have lost many men, or the enemy holds the high ground, they might run. How quickly their morale drops is also influenced by their valour. A battle worn unit with lots of experience is less likely to rout than a bunch of raw recruits. When units run, they can be rallied (if the situation is somewhat rosy; they won't rally if they're being chased off the map by men trying to slice them into little bits!). This works very well for the Total War games, but I don't think it would work for 0ad. 0ad is an economics and battlefield reproduction, whereas M:TW is, in real time, only a battlefield game, which allows for more details into this particular aspect of the game. (I believe American Conquest also had morale, btw).

Well, I'd figure someone would have used that idea by now in a RTS.

@kor: Just because 0AD (and TLA) is an economics and battlefield reproduction dosen't mean it can't be able to use a system like in M:TW. The morale system can likely be influenced by economic conditions as well, like lack of food, gold, ect.

Sounds like something from Civil War Generals II, not RTS, but similar idea. I like it alot, it would make the overal game go faster, and I am sure it could be done.

There's a bug, though, it must be decided when the units will stop. Say, when the there are no more enemy units in sight. Also, a unit that deserts, would have a tougher time gaining back his morale.

Those are my opinions.

I only played the demo (unable to find full version), but it was a very expansive demo... Okay, the game was the most historically based game that I have ever played; for each unit (represents a brigade or such) there were different commanders, so, each unit had different attributes - there weren't very many units, though. So, formations also played a major role, ground truly had advantages, and you could build bidges, defenses, and a few other things. BUT the most important thing was the morale: If too many units died, or if they weren't supplied, they ran until you called the bugle (sometimes worked) or untill the simply reformed - many miles away! Does that answer your question?

Black Op, I meant to say: in M:TW on the battlefield all you had to care about were your troops (and those of the enemy :)). In a game like 0ad and TLA you have to manage both troops and economy, and having to watch over your troops morale as well as keeping a close eye on economy will require a lot of micromanagement. Besides, since 0ad is Real Time non stop, and M:TW's RT battles were broken up by Turn Based strategy maps in between each battle, morale wasn't constantly affected (with a new battle, if your units had fled in the previous one, they were likely to have regained a bit of morale). In 0ad the game goes on, so "resetting" morale for the demoralised troops would be more difficult to do. Also, you could get the American Conquest effect: your troops are effected by losses, so once you've started losing, you'll need a lot of effort to get back on the road to victory.