Strange disconnection issue. [PLEASE UPLOAD REPLAYS]

user1

There have been issues wherein the host of a match disconnects from the main lobby and all or most of the players disconnect from his match. The host's game does not crash and continues to run but nobody can connect to the match.

Please upload any replays of matches that seem to be affected by this.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

There's a lot of games that mostly 'disconnect' these days. Dunno if its a host problem or general game server issue. Just today 2 or more games 'disconnected' simultaneously , other players believe its coincidence. what can I say? "Prevention is better than cure" so im uploading two replays so you can use it as investigation lift.

Replay is attached below! Reporter: Defc0n

These are 2 different games that 'disconnected' today per what I witnessed. Happy investigation! @user1

commands.txt metadata.json commands.txt metadata.json

• Thanks 1

• user1 changed the title to RECENT GAME CONNECTION ISSUES (REPLAYS)
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, thankforpieOfficial said:

could be ddos but its hard to believe someone does this stuff regularly to different 0ad players each day

It's hard to believe some logic in 0ad code is flooding gigabytes in the span of a few minutes, that said it's not impossible. There could be also unrelated causes that get exacerbated with the additional traffic.

Another one, stuck units, one dc (Ivaylo Uzunov) cc @user1

commands.txt

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • user1 changed the title to Strange disconnection issue. [PLEASE UPLOAD REPLAYS]
  • user1 pinned this topic

These days we can barely finish any game without these 'disconnects'. In some of these cases my inet stops completely for a few min. Then it works again. After rejoining same thing happens. Also because of this i stopped hosting altogether, even though i liked hosting games and went fine before this was occurring.

commands.txt

metadata.json

Edited by Grapjas
  • Thanks 1

This is what my routers traffic monitor looks like when theese dropouts take place. Really looks like a DDOS as there is no where near as much traffic actually going through the router. Innbound packets from internet going through the roof and neither LAN or wifi behind router are having noticeable traffic at all.

Edit: I can confirm that this behaviour is occurring each time theese droputs happen. This time I did not even get to start the game before it dropped.

Screenshot_2020-10-23 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC85P - Trafikkovervåking Sanntid(6).png

Screenshot_2020-10-23 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC85P - Trafikkovervåking Sanntid(5).png

Screenshot_2020-10-23 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC85P - Trafikkovervåking Sanntid(4).png

Edited by woodpecker

As user1 banned my other user I had to go back to woodpecker. And I thought I might aswell try to host again. This ofc was affected by the issue we have. Before my other user bas banned I specced another game that also was disconnected. One image says service denied in lobby. Also i was not able get in contact with my router at first:

Skjermbilde (4).png

Skjermbilde (6).png

Skjermbilde (7).png

2020-11-04_0001.zip logs.zip

• Thanks 1

I have done some network analysis with Wireshark and found some strange STUN requests on the network. STUN request has a username and all the requests has the same user. If this is conected to the disconnection issue we have I dont know. But I would like that someone with knowledge and know how to investigate this further if possible.

On 31/10/2020 at 4:14 PM, go2die said:

I'm asking myself again while DDOS attack on UDP level to person who is hosting can be revealed by just publishing game replays

Can't even do that. Replays have nothing but commands. There is pretty much zero uses for these replays. Unless of course, 0AD itself is bugged and DoSing clients.

• Stan` unpinned this topic