civ: Zimbabweans

Revered monument. Another unique building for this civ. In terms of functionality, it does the same thing as the Revered Monument of the Iberians: buildings around it do not decay, and units fight harder.

zimb_revered_monument.png

• Like 3
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven't forgotten about this mod, I'm still working on it. But I think I will wait until the release of Alpha 24 before I publish it. Anyways, in the meantime, here's a concept I did for fun with Ma

@Ultimate Aurelian Duly noted, thanks. Here's how they start the game, with walls like the Iberians. I'll have to fix the textures though, and the models I made are a bit crude, gotta keep working

Work in progress for the Wonder (Ruins of the Hill Complex).

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Work in progress for the Wonder (Ruins of the Hill Complex).

zimb_wonder_01.png

zimb_wonder_02.png

Not sure about the giant bird, it is a bit fantastical.

For a possible replacement; the complex had a doorless ceremonial tower near the entrance (Like the one in Great Zimbabwe)-.

My suggestion would be placing the tower near the entrance replacing the smaller boulder; and moving the left wall to the corner where the little rocks are to make way.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Not sure about the giant bird, it is a bit fantastical.

True, but there is a boulder in the Hill Complex that looks like a bird (personally I can't recognize it). I'll try to make it look more like a boulder and less like a bird.

143753384_Screenshotfrom2020-06-1721-27-44.thumb.png.a4a376c03d76649e57306c8e5774744e.png

55 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

For a possible replacement; the complex had a doorless ceremonial tower near the entrance (Like the one in Great Zimbabwe)-.

My suggestion would be placing the tower near the entrance replacing the smaller boulder; and moving the left wall to the corner where the little rocks are to make way.

Good ideas, thanks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

True, but there is a boulder in the Hill Complex that looks like a bird (personally I can't recognize it). I'll try to make it look more like a boulder and less like a bird.

It looks vaguely like it, but i don't think it was carved by human hands.

May just be pareidolia.

hill-complex-bird1.jpg

• Like 2

So here is the roster with general and specific names:

Zimbabwean woman - Mukadzi

Shona spearman - Murume Wepfumo
Shona javelineer - Muridzi Wepfumo
Shona archer - Museve Murume
Shona clubman - Kirabhu Murume

Bushman hunter - Gwenzi Murume
Bushman archer - Murume wegwenzi
Sotho Mercenary spearman - monna oa lerumo
Sotho Mercenary axeman - lesole la tšepe

Champion Spearman - Murwi Mukuru
Champion Archer - Museve Mukuru

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, m7600 said:

So here is the roster with general and specific names:

Zimbabwean woman - Mukadzi

Shona spearman - Murume Wepfumo
Shona javelineer - Muridzi Wepfumo
Shona archer - Museve Murume
Shona clubman - Kirabhu Murume

Bushman hunter - Gwenzi Murume
Bushman archer - Murume wegwenzi
Sotho Mercenary spearman - monna oa lerumo
Sotho Mercenary axeman - lesole la tšepe

Champion Spearman - Murwi Mukuru
Champion Archer - Museve Mukuru

I think it would be good to include a champion swordsman.

Also Gwenzi is not a very accurate name (It is a word for shrub or bush, but the ''Bushman'' moniker is  a name given by Europeans); names used in Zimbabwe to describe those peoples are Batwa or Amasili.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

I think it would be good to include a champion swordsman.

Also Gwenzi is not a very accurate name (It is a word for shrub or bush, but the ''Bushman'' moniker is  a name given by Europeans); names used in Zimbabwe to describe those peoples are Batwa or Amasili.

Champion swordsmen are in then. They will be called (for now at least) Iwo Munondo Mukuru.

I'm using Google translate for this. Sadly I don't know those languages, but I noticed that Google translate could use an update, it' vocabularies for Shona and Sotho languages seem limited. "Murwi Mukuru" for example, the name of the champion spearman, simply means "The great warrior".

• Like 1
Just now, m7600 said:

Champion swordsmen are in then. They will be called (for now at least) Iwo Munondo Mukuru.

I'm using Google translate for this. Sadly I don't know those languages, but I noticed that Google translate could use an update, it' vocabularies for Shona and Sotho languages seem limited. "Murwi Mukuru" for example, the name of the champion spearman, simply means "The great warrior".

Maybe this site can be useful: https://vashona.com/en/dictionary

I found the Zimbabwe Bushman names on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_people#Names

Source is this article (Batwa is a Bantu term for foraging tribes also applied to Pygmies, i am not sure what Amasili means): http://www.khoisanpeoples.org/indepth/ind-identity.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ultimate Aurelian Good references.

The healer will be a Nganga.

800px-N'anga.jpg

I have no idea if the medieval Zimbabwean army had specific names for their troops (I'm sure they did), like the Malians had "Kele koun", "Farimba", Ton-tigi", etc.
My next task will be to find traditional clothes and cloth patterns used by this civ during the era of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

@Ultimate Aurelian
I have no idea if the medieval Zimbabwean army had specific names for their troops (I'm sure they did), like the Malians had "Kele koun", "Farimba", Ton-tigi", etc.
My next task will be to find traditional clothes and cloth patterns used by this civ during the era of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe.

Drawing of Zimbabwean warriors (A bit old):

showing-a-war-dance-being-performed-by-w

This link has some images of Shona swords and clothing:

https://historum.com/threads/refuting-the-myth-no-african-swords-the-diversity-of-weapons-in-africa.174937/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Ultimate Aurelian Wow, that's really cool. I was about to post a work in progress for the general outfit. It will have variations, but it's basically stitched leather and animal hides. Although now that I look at that reference that you posted, I will probably have to change my initial plan.

zimb_clubman.png

Edited by m7600
Formating
  • Like 3
44 minutes ago, m7600 said:

@Ultimate Aurelian Wow, that's really cool. I was about to post a work in progress for the general outfit. It will have variations, but it's basically stitched leather and animal hides. Although now that I look at that reference that you posted, I will probably have to change my initial plan.

zimb_clubman.png

While not appropriate for Zimbabwe, i think a leather outfit could work for some of the Mali units.

It is worn by the Dogon and one of the cavalry figurines @Sundiata posted in another thread seems to have some kind of jerkin.

1200px-Dogon_Hunter.JPG

1589930700900.jpeg

e06b7c97c49008babead6dcd612b775e.jpg&f=1

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, m7600 said:

So, based on Angus McBride's illustration, here is what the basic clubman could start to look like. The advanced and elite clubmen would have capes.

zimb_clubman_02.png

Maybe make basic version have no hat and jewelry, while advanced does (And elite gets animal pelt).

An idea i had earlier was for the basic to have only clubs, advanced a mix of clubs and axes, and elite only axe (Got it from Millenium A.D Norse, who have a axe unit who turns into swordsman).

Some images of weapons including clubs and axes:

http://www.forensicfashion.com/1896ShonaWarrior.html

• Like 2

Basic, advanced, and elite versions for the spearmen, archers, javelineers, and clubmen. I still have to give the capes a pelt texture.

Spearmen

zimb_spearmen_bae.png.b9995328fb719297cd18ced31aef566c.png

Archers

zimb_archers_bae.png.8cf8afa4b8aec17ff24d632960ee0d92.png

Javelineers

zimb_javelineers_bae.png.c2d9a5960a8e54572c63ee2cfd13138e.png

Clubmen

zimb_clubmen_bae.png.6d7723be61e04e2fc51fbd1606a77929.png

2 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

An idea i had earlier was for the basic to have only clubs, advanced a mix of clubs and axes, and elite only axe (Got it from Millenium A.D Norse, who have a axe unit who turns into swordsman).

I'm not entirely fond of this idea due to mechanical reasons. I think that weapon types should reflect damage types. Clubs would do crushing damage (good vs. buildings), while axes would do slashing damage (good vs. siege weapons). Although one could make the case that axes do both types of damage, and that it makes sense to attack a building with an axe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Clubmen

zimb_clubmen_bae.png.6d7723be61e04e2fc51fbd1606a77929.png

Not sure about the scabbard on the advanced one's back (You could have sheated swords for champion spearman, but it would be on the hips not back).

For cloth patterns they also use black (White details on the pictures could be replaced with player color ):

Photo-by-youngrobv-on-flickr.jpg

Shona-people.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Not sure about the scabbard on the advanced one's back (You could have sheated swords for champion spearman, but it would be on the hips not back).

I forgot to delete the line for the scabbard in the advanced and elite files : P

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

For cloth patterns they also use black (White details on the pictures could be replaced with player color ):

Good references and good idea. Thanks!

Here are the champions. Basically they're using the Kushite champion textures, all I did was add the game's capes and the feathered hat that I made (the hat looks awful, I'll have to fix it). I also need to make the sword look like a Shona one (the references posted before are great).

zimb_champions.png

• Like 1

Starting to work on the mercs. Basic and advanced version for the Batwa Archer and the Batwa Hunter. I still have to make elite versions. Not sure if they should have feathered hats like the Shona. Probably not.

zimb_mercs_ba.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Here are the champions. Basically they're using the Kushite champion textures, all I did was add the game's capes and the feathered hat that I made (the hat looks awful, I'll have to fix it). I also need to make the sword look like a Shona one (the references posted before are great).

For champions you'd have to differentiate them through clothing, since they did not wear any armor.

Accounts describe them buying silk and middle eastern cloths from coastal merchants.

Nyatsimba Mutota from a civ5 mod:

latest?cb=20160418222534

Some Shona men wearing animal pelts:

Member+of+Shona+tribe-Zimbabwe.jpg

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Starting to work on the mercs. Basic and advanced version for the Batwa Archer and the Batwa Hunter. I still have to make elite versions. Not sure if they should have feathered hats like the Shona. Probably not.

zimb_mercs_ba.png

For Bushmen ranks you could use necklaces, leather capes, and headbands:

bushmen-experiences-jacks-camp-luxury-bo

th?id=OIP.fOk1DurCJCdUmq9ypKbEaQHaLI%26p

D20+San+Bushmen+@Ghanzi+-+04.jpg

19th century illustration with a peculiar headgear:

C0264564-African_bushmen,_19th_C_illustr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Clubs would do crushing damage (good vs. buildings), while axes would do slashing damage (good vs. siege weapons).

Axes and clubs are both doing a crushing damage. However, neither should have an advantage against buildings. Hitting a stone building with an axe or club only hurts your wrist, it does not do much damage to the stone building.

• Like 1
Just now, balduin said:

Axes and clubs are both doing a crushing damage. However, neither should have an advantage against buildings. Hitting a stone building with an axe or club only hurts your wrist, it does not do much damage to the stone building.

From what i remember crush damage in game is good against building and weak against units.

Maybe give them hack damage instead.

Perhaps they could be weaker than swordsman but with some armor piercing capability ?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Nyatsimba Mutota from a civ5 mod:

This raises the question of heroes for this civ. Apparently there are no accounts of the rules of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe, or of any of it's military leaders. I'm not sure how to make this work. I suppose I could use later historical figures such as Nyatsimba Mutota.

17 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

19th century illustration with a peculiar headgear:

I've never seen a helmet like that. Intriguing. I wonder if those spikes had a function, or if it was only an aesthetic thing.

14 minutes ago, balduin said:

hitting a stone building with an axe or club only hurts your wrist, it does not do much damage to the stone building.

That's certainly true from a rational point of view. Gamewise, I guess it depends on how much suspension of disbelief one is willing to accept. There's a lot of things in the game that don't make sense if you think about them rationally. For example, elephants attacking buildings. I can imagine an elephant attacking a wooden outpost, but definitely not a fortress. But I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on that example, because from a game perspective, it's fun to send elephants against the enemy's base. Regarding infantry, I think it would be cool to include at some point a melee unit that has a bonus attack against buildings. Maybe not the clubman, or any of the Zimbabwean units, but perhaps someone could include a pillager with a torch, for example, for some other civ. Currently there are some units besides siege weapons that have a bonus against buildings, like the Iberian champion cavalry that has flaming arrows (they do crushing damage, speaking of crazy things lol, but it works from a game perspective).

• Like 2