Campaign: Macedonia - Rise to Power + Balkan Campaign + Into Asia

Macedonia 39 - The Brahmin Rebellion (325 BC)

In April of 325 BC, the Brahmin went into open rebellion against Alexander's forces. While the rebellion was ultimately unsuccessful, many of the Greek colonies suffered attacks and massacres.  

You have been dispatched by Alexander to help defend Sparta-on-the-Indus, a colony founded recently by veterans, mostly from the Peloponnese region. The colony is headed by Agis and his warrior wife, who will be at your service. Many of the veterans have married warrior maidens, who will also help in the defense.

Our scouts report that two rebel armies are headed our way. Your job is to boost the defense of the colony and battle the attackers until they are destroyed. The first rebel army is expected to arrive in about a week (about 18 game minutes). There are several nearby trading posts that we can use for supplies in addition to gathering resources. To the south west, there reside a group of bandits which have recently stolen goods from the colony -- if we recover them, we should be able to build up our defense much quicker.

The colony's militia will aid in the defense. You can "donate" soldiers to the militia by moving the unit behind the militia's outpost, right next to the militia camp in the back of the town.

Good luck!

AI Settings: All AIs should be set to Sandbox

mace39_1.png

• Like 3

On 14/07/2021 at 4:14 AM, azayrahmad said:

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am currently using 23, it's what's installed by default on Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 I believe.

Does anyone know what it takes to convert these so they're compatible with 24?

11 hours ago, SciGuy42 said:

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am currently using 23, it's what's installed by default on Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 I believe.

Does anyone know what it takes to convert these so they're compatible with 24?

If I were you I would convert it to A25, where is campaign menu already https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha25 , https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/PortA24ToA25 , 

The hardest thing would be to port it from A23 to A24 though

Macedonia 40 - The Underground Assault (325 BC)

During a siege on a Brahmin-held town, Alexander used a genius tactic -- rather than assaulting the town directly, which had strong natural defenses, his men dug tunnels underneath the city and to the surprise of the Indian defenders, emerged seemingly out of nowhere to take the town.

Your soldiers have just completed digging 4 tunnels into the city. But we're not quite ready for the assault just yet. We must scour the land to find resources (and trading partners) to procure supplies, as to raise a bigger army. In addition, one of our scouts has been captured by a group of desert raiders -- we must investigate. We have also heard a small monastery nearby that may be able to assist us. Finally, there are rumors that on the mountains on the far side of the town, there may be a secret path into the city used by smugglers.

Once inside the town, we'll be facing a large Brahmin guard -- we must eliminate their defensive and military buildings as quick as possible. We do not have siege weapons and therefore, we must capture the siege workshop inside the town so we can deal with any fortifications we may encounter.

Note that each time this mission is played, the tunnel outlets are randomly positioned inside the city. Not surprisingly, this scenario features a custom-built teleportation mechanic. Enjoy!

mace40_4.png

mace40_3.png

mace40_2.png

mace40_1.png

Hi @SciGuy42first, congratulations on the awesome work in this campaign. Regarding what is need to update these for alpha 25, I did some testing and updated the first scenario to alpha 24, following the instructions here

apart from applying the scripts mentioned there I found that most of the differences lie in the new subfolder structure specified here https://code.wildfiregames.com/rP24216  also some buildings have changed name like blacksmith -> forge workshop ->arsenal and some units have changed names as well. For the subfolder issue something like " sed -i 's,structures/civ_,structures/civ/,g' " and sed -i 's,units/civ_,units/civ/,g' where civ is "mace, spart", etc should solve almost everything. The js file also needs some tweaks like missing functions, which I didn't look into. When I tried this converted version in a25 it didn't accuse any errors, so I think you shouldn't have much trouble going from a24 to a25.

Regarding you being stuck on a23b I know how it is, I run debian and guix and neither have updated even to a24, but you can have it as a flatpak if you wish (although I dislike flatpak it can save you in a pinch) or you can build from source, I did it for a25 and it is not all that hard and well worth for people developing neat stuff like this campaign.

Edited by Aoidos
forgot to add a flag to example

2 hours ago, Aoidos said:

Hi @SciGuy42first, congratulations on the awesome work in this campaign. Regarding what is need to update these for alpha 25, I did some testing and updated the first scenario to alpha 24, following the instructions here

apart from applying the scripts mentioned there I found that most of the differences lie in the new subfolder structure specified here https://code.wildfiregames.com/rP24216  also some buildings have changed name like blacksmith -> forge workshop ->arsenal and some units have changed names as well. For the subfolder issue something like " sed -i 's,structures/civ_,structures/civ/,g' " and sed -i 's,units/civ_,units/civ/,g' where civ is "mace, spart", etc should solve almost everything. The js file also needs some tweaks like missing functions, which I didn't look into. When I tried this converted version in a25 it didn't accuse any errors, so I think you shouldn't have much trouble going from a24 to a25.

Regarding you being stuck on a23b I know how it is, I run debian and guix and neither have updated even to a24, but you can have it as a flatpak if you wish (although I dislike flatpak it can save you in a pinch) or you can build from source, I did it for a25 and it is not all that hard and well worth for people developing neat stuff like this campaign.

Thanks so much for taking a lead on this. I have 4 more missions to complete (the plan is to end at 44) and after that I'll get to updating. Currently, when I do "sudo apt-get install 0ad" on a linux system, the version I get is a23 so I wanted to make the campaign for the typical user. In a few weeks once I've finished all the missions, I will go back from the beginning and start converting them. If template names have changed and if the API has changed significantly, it may be some work.

Quick question, do you think it makes sense to move to a24 or just go to a25 directly?

• Like 1

Go directly to a25 it will be around for about a year till we can get a26 ready and out the door. BTW Linux distros will mostly be behind our release schedule as they do not update app versions between there major releases one of the reasons I always grab the static blender tar.xz build and put it under /opt with Google's Chrome. 

Enjoy the Choice :)

4 hours ago, SciGuy42 said:

Quick question, do you think it makes sense to move to a24 or just go to a25 directly?

I too would advise you to go to A25.

This (https://code.wildfiregames.com/P225) is the script that I used to move the templates to their civ-subfolders (for A24) it left for little manual work.

For the port to A25, we've tried to maintain a (fairly complete) list of stuff that has changed: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/PortA24ToA25.

• Like 1

Macedonia 41 - Nearchus' Journey: The Hingol River (325 BC)

After the Brahmin rebels were defeated, Alexander decided to return to Babylonia. In June, general Craterus had already left for Carmania with a third of the soldiers. In August, Alexander and three quarters of what remained of the army set out for a long and difficult march through the Gedrosian desert.

Nearchus was to ship the remaining quarter of the soldiers, 17,000 - 20,000 men, to Carmania and Babylonia. The voyage down the Indus lasted from November 326 to July 325. It was not an easy cruise: several times, the Macedonians had to fight their way past resisting native towns. Finally, the reached Patala (Old Indian for "camp for ships"), modern Bahmanabad, 75 kilometers north-east of Hyderabad.

While sailing westward along the Persian coast, Nearchus often had to go up rivers to seek supplies as the coastline was barren. At the Hingol river, he made one such expedition in order to procure supplies and forage for the food needed for the remainder of the journey. As you sail up the river, you find that hostile native tribes, the Oreitans, occupy both banks. Our scouts report that up the river lies a fork, where two smaller rivers join, and that at that fork, there is a native settlement, whose inhabitants recently killed one of our messengers. There are also friendly traders in this region, but beware of river raiders who are used to being unchallenged in the water.

Objective: establish or capture a base and pacify the area -- destroy all Oreitans.

AI Settings: Players 2 and 3 should be set to Petra with a difficulty of your choice (Medium for casual play); all others should be Sandbox.

mace41_1.png

mace41_2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Macedonia 42 - Nearchus' Journey: The Fisheaters (325 BC)

Nearchus' navy continues to sail West along the Persian coast, occasionally making a landing to secure supplies. On one such occasion, the Macedonians encountered a local tribe, which they described as the Fisheaters (the ancient Greeks often called people by the food they ate). While Nearchus explores to local waterways, one of his generals, Onesicritus, has established a beach head prepared to take on the Fisheaters.

Our scouts report that most of the Fisheaters reside in the mountains north of the coast. A small fishing village is located to the West while a goat-herding village lies to the East. Your mission is to subjugate the Fisheaters as to acquire access to local game and fish, as well as their resources. The Fisheaters are primitive people, living in houses made of straw. Nevertheless, they clearly have access to iron-made weaponry.

Our biggest hurdle is our lack of siege weapons or materials to construct them. Your officers suggest that we seek the Fisheaters' workshop -- should we capture or destroy it, we may be able to construct a few rams to make our job easier.

Objectives: Destroy the three Fisheaters fortresses to subjugate the tribe. Do not lose more than 15 champion soldiers (we are very short on troops!)

mace42_1.png

mace42_2.png

mace42_3.png

Edited by SciGuy42
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Macedonia 43 - The Gedrosian Desert (325 BC)

Gedrosia is the Hellenized name of the part of coastal Balochistan that roughly corresponds to today's Makran. The region is mostly a desert, with few resources available. While Nearchus' navy sailed along the Persian coast, Alexnader too the path across the desert, where the marching conditions for his army were brutal, to say the least. It is not clear why Alexander chose such a treacherous path, some hypothesize that he was indirectly exacting revenge upon his troops for their refusal to follow him deeper into India.

You are in charge of a small band of elite soldiers and your primary objectives are: 1) keep the army supplied with food; we lose food in fixed interval and if we ever approach 0, soldiers will start dying; and 2) keep the army safe while it crosses the desert; the soldiers are so weak, they will not be able to put up much of a fight if attacked; we must destroy the fortifications of some local Persian rebels, if they stay up for too long our army will be too vulnerable.

Local traders may be of some assistance. We should immediately seek to make contact with monastery not too far from our starting point, as we'll need food and healers from them. We should also make sure the path towards the other side of the desert is clear of any immediate dangers. Our scouts report that a small band of mercenaries may be available for hire, they are residing in a tent camp in the desert. A trading village with an elephant stables may also be willing to sell us some elephants. Most of the locals up in the mountain will be hostile but we must seek them out as their food supply will surely come handy. One tribe is known for its large goat herds.

Good luck!

Notes:

1. you must be constantly on the lookout for food. It is possible to store too much too quickly and some of it will go to waste. But it is probably better to have too much than too little.
2. If any of the Persian rebel fortifications remain standing after 1 hour of game time, you lose the game.
3. If more than 1200 army soldiers die (either due to starvation or enemies), you lose the game. Note that the number of units lost shown by the UI does not include starvation deaths.
4. Act quickly and save often!

mace43_1.png

mace43_2.png

mace43_3.png

mace43_4.png

mace43_5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jofursloft said:

What am I doing wrong? I downloaded the zip file from the link and then unfolded it in 0ad->mods

1617624201_Immagine2021-09-15103908.thumb.png.1a3fb54bbce9c1f7f6a0f7c89b38cfc3.png

That looks like it's because it's made for a23 version of the game, you'd need to down load it and install to play. I have two more missions to make, then it's conversion time. I will still keep the a23 version for noobs like me who just do sudo apt-get install 0ad.

• 4 weeks later...

Macedonia 44 - A Band of Heroes (Part 2, 325 BC)

After returning to Mesopotamia, Alexander took the time to rule his newly formed empire. New laws, new rules, power plays, and shuffling of satraps were all day to day events. Occasionally, Alexander would host lavish parties with drunken debauchery, but he also enjoyed frequent hunting trips. On one such trip, Alexander took those closest to him -- from Macedonian and Greek nobles, to Persian satraps and even Indian adventurers. The hunters used small boats to reach the hunting grounds but a surprise lightning storm wrecked havoc to the small ships. Alexander finds himself alone on the short of an unfamiliar river, his companions nowhere in sight. A local band of archers has fortified itself awaiting reinforcements -- while Alexander was generally liked throughout his empire, many of the local Persians did not pledge allegiance to him and would rather see him captured or dead. Alexander must find and rescue the remaining 10 hunters and make haste to a small Greek colony that will provide safety. Little does he know that making to a safe house is going to be only half the battle.

Notes: some building have dialogue options -- move a unit close the building (perhaps circle around) to trigger them.

AI Settings: Players 2, 3 and 5 (the Persian Villages) should be set to Petra with a difficulty of your choice. All others should be Sandbox.

mace44_1.png

mace44_2.png

mace44_3.png

mace44_4.png

mace44_5.png

mace44_6.png

mace44_7.png

mace44_8.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Macedonia 45 - Nightmare (323 BC)

Alexander is in trouble. His skin is burning up, head is raging with internal fire and strife. As he lay dying, in his mind there is one final battle to be fought.  The landscape is desolate, covered  in fire and ash. The sea is red and full of blood. All his enemies have gathered against him -- from the Spartan rebels, to the city of Tyre, and all the way to India. His only allies are the people who greeted him like a living God -- the land of Egypt. Will he prevail? Only you will find out.

AI Settings: Player 8 (Doom Guard) should be set to Sandbox. For the rest of the players use a difficulty of your choice. For casual game play, set your Ally to Hard or Very Hard and your Enemies to a combination of Easy and Medium difficulties.

You can also gift units to your ally. Simply move them to the little palisade pen and they will switch ownership. Your ally may also gift units to you as well.

mace45_1.png

mace45_2.png

mace45_3.png

mace45_4.png

mace45_5.png

mace45_6.png

mace45_7.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks really great but can you add it to the list from mod.io? It would simplify using the mod. This should definitively become a part of the game since it is lacking any story campaigns! Could you even add it to the main game? The game needs some good story campaigns.

• Like 1