Campaign: Macedonia - Rise to Power + Balkan Campaign + Into Asia

1 minute ago, Carltonus said:

Using Alt while dragging works for the grass, but rubble_rome_sb (the destroyed Roman camp) still cannot be selected. Is this a bug?

If they were placed as mere actors, then they can be selected with Alt-drag as you say. But if they were placed as entities, then you may be SOL. They are special entities and are unselectable in Atlas for some reason (this needs fixed). 

You could open the map's XML file and remove it there though. I use Notepad++

Many thanks for the campaign! The only minor point is that I lost on almost every map. The only maps where I've won were some maps where I managed to create or to occupy a civic center and build up my forces, like "Illyran Campaign" (the one which resembles the most regular 0AD) or "Pelium", where a strategy in several steps was somewhat tedious but helped me to win. But on others strategies must be more complex.  For example, in "Consolidating control", I've saved a few troops, tried to kill the maximum enemy troops in the town with the others, disregarding losses, and seize the market to exchange the food gained by killing enemies for stone. My remaining troops (6 or 7 slingers) built a civic center on the South of the map but were attacked a few moments later by far superior forces. I'm not that versed in attack tactics to win without some economical superiority and grinding or mass attack. On "Caria" or "Conquest of the Getae", I had the same problem: I got a way to have a troop buildup, but the enemy overwhelmed me quite fast. I have the same problem as with the OG Danubius or Jebel Barkal maps (where Gaia overwhelms one very fast, especially on the first one).

Do some of you have some strategies?

17 minutes ago, SolarEagle said:

Many thanks for the campaign! The only minor point is that I lost on almost every map. The only maps where I've won were some maps where I managed to create or to occupy a civic center and build up my forces, like "Illyran Campaign" (the one which resembles the most regular 0AD) or "Pelium", where a strategy in several steps was somewhat tedious but helped me to win. But on others strategies must be more complex.  For example, in "Consolidating control", I've saved a few troops, tried to kill the maximum enemy troops in the town with the others, disregarding losses, and seize the market to exchange the food gained by killing enemies for stone. My remaining troops (6 or 7 slingers) built a civic center on the South of the map but were attacked a few moments later by far superior forces. I'm not that versed in attack tactics to win without some economical superiority and grinding or mass attack. On "Caria" or "Conquest of the Getae", I had the same problem: I got a way to have a troop buildup, but the enemy overwhelmed me quite fast. I have the same problem as with the OG Danubius or Jebel Barkal maps (where Gaia overwhelms one very fast, especially on the first one).

Do some of you have some strategies?

Well, I was afraid it was too easy :)

So my first suggestion would be to play on the lowest difficult level above sandbox. Keep in mind though that for some scenarios, you have to set certain players to sandbox (read the description). The description also contains a lot of hints, make sure to follow them. Often, you have to act very quick on those hints right as the scenario starts.

The other advice I have would be to try playing them with an explored and revealed map (you'll have to edit the scenarios using atlas). That should make things a lot easier. I myself have played through all of them and won but then again, I knew what was going to happen :)

Edited by SciGuy42

Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I tried to follow the description but sometimes I don't if I did the right thing or went to the right place. For example in "Conquest of the Getae" I used a merchant boat to get the free wood near the isle, built a dock on the isle near the allied dock, set up trade with the latter and at the same time used the slingers to get wood, stone and metal (save one to repair the boat), used only resources to upgrade the boat's armour, while the other units captured the catapult on the isle, then put a successful defense against other attackers while stockpiling resources, and just after my city centre and a single house were built, I was attacked by 20+ units.

I'll try to make the maps visible indeed. Since it looks the AI knows exactly where I am, it won't be cheating. :angel:

Edited by SolarEagle

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, SolarEagle said:

Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I tried to follow the description but sometimes I don't if I did the right thing or went to the right place. For example in "Conquest of the Getae" I used a merchant boat to get the free wood near the isle, built a dock on the isle near the allied dock, set up trade with the latter and at the same time used the slingers to get wood, stone and metal (save one to repair the boat), used only resources to upgrade the boat's armour, while the other units captured the catapult on the isle, then put a successful defense against other attackers while stockpiling resources, and just after my city centre and a single house were built, I was attacked by 20+ units.

I'll try to make the maps visible indeed. Since it looks the AI knows exactly where I am, it won't be cheating. :angel:

Yeah, there are actually multiple ways to win in that one but not including the one you took :)

I have started going through the scenarios and making them a tiny bit easier, let's see how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Another Update: Mission 19: On the Road to Siwa (332 BC)

After conquering the fortress of Gaza, Alexander was greeted in Egypt as a liberator and a living God. He set out to meet the Oracle at Siwa, and on the way, he and his bodyguards seek shelter at a small village. Little do they know that the village's warrior princess has been kidnapped and needs to be rescued while remaining Persian holdouts and anti-Greek Egyptian rebels plot an attack.

mace19_3.png

mace19_1.png

mace19_2.png

• Like 1

Update: Added Mission 20: The Oracle's Quest

Alexander finally meets the Oracle of Amun at Siwa Oasis. The Oracle is ready to give his blessings -- but Alexander must perform a task. An adventure like no other.

This is basically a tactical RPG using 0ad as the engine :)

mace20_5.png

mace20_4.png

mace20_7.png

mace20_6.png

mace20_3.png

mace20_2.png

mace20_1.png

Edited by SciGuy42
  • Like 3

Another update: added Macedonia 22 - The Spartan Revolt

While Alexnader leaves Egypt for Persia, the homeland is in trouble. The king of Sparta, Agis III, has taken it upon himself to organize a revolt again Macedonian rule. Alexander's man in Macedonia, Antipater, must put out the revolt before it gets out of hand.

This one uses the Thessaly skirmish map, thank the original creator for all the eye candy!

mace22_1.png

mace22_2.png

Yet another update: added Macedonia 23 - Zopyrion's Campaign

Zopyrion was made a governor of Thrace by Alexander the Great. In 331 BC, he led an invasion of Scythian lands, "thinking that, if he did not attempt something, he should be stigmatized as indolent". He collected a force of thirty thousand men, marched along the Black Sea coast and besieged Olbia, a colony of Miletus (which was taken by Alexander in 334 BC). You have been put in charge of our reserves with the main goal of procuring supplies for our main force. What could possibly go wrong?

mace23_1.png

mace23_2.png

mace23_3.png

mace23_4.png

mace23_5.png

• Like 2

Update: added Macedonia 24 - Gaugamela (331 BC)

The final showdown between Alexander and Darius is at hand. A much smaller (but much better trained) Greek and Macedonian army meets the much larger Persian forces near the village of Arbela. Darius has gathered forces from all corners of the empire, including Indian war elephants and cavalry. He rides in his chariot flanked by his most trusted soldiers as well as Greek mercenaries.

As Alexander, you are in charge of the companion cavalry, as well as a few other elite units. A small force of Egyptian warriors has also decided to follow you into Persia in seek of adventure and glory.

The Macedonian reserve waits back at the camp but can be signaled into action by lighting "bonfires". There are three such fires (represented as Outposts) at your disposal. The first, if lit, will send half our reserve infantry towards Craterus. The second will send the other half towards Alexander. The third will let the reserve cavalry known to join the fight and head towards Alexander. You can "light" each bonfire by clicking on the outpost and then destroying it (press the 'Del' key on the keyboard or click the skull button under the building description).

Also, this one uses k-means clustering :)

mace24_2.png

mace24_1.png

Edited by SciGuy42
spelling
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 3:16 PM, hyperion said:

Thanks for sharing. Just a little nitpick. Would be nice if you could add a mod.json to your repository so it could just be cloned into the mods folder as-is.

Thanks for the suggestion. If someone points me to an example, I'll be happy to add this.

• 2 weeks later...

The next mission is up: Macedonia 25 - The Last Stand (330 BC)

In the winter of 330 BC, Ariobarzanes led a last stand of the remaining Persian forces at the Persian Gates near Persepolis. After the conquest of Susa, Alexander split the Macedonian army into two parts. Alexander's general, Parmenion, took one half along the Royal Road, and Alexander himself took the route towards Persis. Passing into Persis required traversing the Persian Gates, a narrow mountain pass that lent itself easily to ambush. Alexander eventually found a path to the rear of the Persians from the captured prisoners of war or a local shepherd, defeating the Persians and capturing Persepolis.

You lead a small contingent of elite forces, which are about to march through the mountain pass. Your primary objective is to discover a path to the Persian controlled side of the mountains. Good luck!

mace25_1.png

mace25_2.png

mace25_3.png

mace25_4.png

• Like 1

Added Macedonia 26 - Death of an Emperor (330 BC)

After defeating Ariobarzanes, the Satrap of Persis, Alexander's army marches on Persepolis and sacks the city. Darius has fled further into Bactria, along with Bessus and other loyal Satraps. Alexnader is in hot pursuit, for as long as Darius lives, he cannot claim to be the legitimate emperor of the former Achamenid Empire.

As Alexander's forces close in on Darius, things are not as they seem. Bessus has betrayed Darius -- as the Emperor lie dying, he formally conceals the title of Emperor to Alexander. In exchange, he wants only one thing -- revenge! Defeat Bessus and the rest of the traitors and the Empire is yours.

Bessus' forces have taken over a small town north-west of our position. The town is heavily fortified. The last remaining Greek mercenaries in service of the Achamenids are located in a camp further west. They are likely to fight to the death.

Darius has commanded his most loyal servants to help you establish a camp and defeat Bessus. You will need to rely on local Persians for your forces. Your primary objective is to defeat Bessus' forces and put the remainder of the Greek mercenaries to the sword. Your scouts report that there are local traders whom you can trade with for additional supplies.

mace26_1.png

• Like 1

Next up: Macedonia 27 - Conquest of Aria (330 BC)

In September 330 BC, the Macedonian king Alexander the Great conquered Aria in pursuit of the leaders of the Persian national resistance, king Bessus and the last satrap of Aria, Satibarzanes. Alexander used siege towers to take Artacoana, the Arian capital; the inhabitants were killed or sold as slaves. The empty town was rebuilt and called Alexandria.

Your forces have recently arrived and your first order of business is to identify the supply routes that caravans are using to supply the town and block them with your troops. We cannot let supplies continue into the city!

The town is heavily fortified. Rather than a direct assault, you are advised to hurt the town's economy by destroying its mines and farm fields which are outside the city walls. This will reduce the town's ability to draw reinforcements.

We need to find loot as soon as we can. Taking down the supply caravans should give us a nice boost. Our scouts also report of local nomadic tribes with trading posts, we may be able to trade with them. Finally, we need to use the terrain to our advantage. The enemy is numerous and will fight to do the death. To make matters worse, while the Greek Mercenaries have been soundly defeated, Satibarzanes has somehow acquired their siege equipment, which is no defending the city.

mace27_2.png

mace27_3.png

mace27_5.png

mace27_4.png

On 10/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, Stan` said:

Thanks, someone actually made a commit that does it, I think:

https://github.com/SciGuy42/Macedonia_0ad/pull/1/commits/1bebcafe51ddd61e5b96356e717b084a77d9d59c

Do you know what the requires command does? Is that a pointer to the .js file or something else? I am asking because for one of the missions, two .js files are needed.

5 hours ago, SciGuy42 said:

Thanks, someone actually made a commit that does it, I think

That someone is me, in fact. 'Requires' specifies level identifiers that are needed to unlock the next mission. So if you have one level that requires two missions, you would write ["mission_a", "mission_b"] instead.

Macedonia 28 - Alexandria Eschatê (329 BC)

Of the many cities founded by Alexander the Great, Alexandria Eschatê was probably the one that created most problems. This must have surprised Alexander, because the march to the river Jaxartes, in the early summer of 329, had been easy. The last resistance to his rule had vanished after his friend Ptolemy had captured the Persian leader, Bessus.

Now, he wanted to build a city on the bank of the river that was the boundary between Sogdia and the Hunger Steppe, which was inhabited by the Sacae (known as Scythians to the Greeks). It was to be an important site, because on the one hand it was to be the empire's northernmost military base, and a defense against the Sacan tribesmen, and on the other hand, it could be a base for a return to the west across the plains of the Ukraine.

You have been sent by Alexander to fortify and expand the new-found colony. Your precise orders are to construct at leas 3 fortresses and at least 8 defense towers. You are also strongly advised to build a wall around your town as soon as possible as we do not know when our neighbors may turn hostile. You play as Phillip, a young charismatic (but hardened) officer who was put in charge of the situation while Alexander's main force is nearby.

To the north, lie the realms of two Sacae tribes, the Ma Saka and the Apa Saka. While mostly nomadic, there are several outposts that you should map out just in case. Far to the north, in the mountains, there are also reports of outposts that we probably want to know about. There is also a nearby Sogdian settlement which has negotiated its presence with the Sacae. We have established ambassadors with all three groups and for the time being, they welcome trade with us. Finally, our scouts report that a group of bandits have been spotted on the south bank of the river, to the West of our town.

AI Settings: Player 2 (Sogdians) should be set to Petra with a difficulty of your choice. All other AI players should be set to Sandbox.

This scenario features a dynamic horse herd population model -- horse herds will grow up to a point so it may make sense not to kill all horses for food that are nearest to you right away.

mace28_1.png

mace28_2.png

mace28_3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/12/2020 at 3:56 AM, wraitii said:

That someone is me, in fact. 'Requires' specifies level identifiers that are needed to unlock the next mission. So if you have one level that requires two missions, you would write ["mission_a", "mission_b"] instead.

Thanks, that makes sense! Do you have an example of how to declare the human player a winner (and loser) from code? In many of my missions, the goal isn't to destroy all enemy units and structures (sometimes it is impossible in fact) and also, the human player may lose even if they have units and structures. I will need to implement the victory conditions so that it will work with this scheme where certain missions need to be officially done before others.

• Like 1