What about naval battles and landings?

Heródoto

One of the best things about this game is that you have a chance to have battles and maritime trade routes. But I see that many players prefer to play on maps without much water. I think it would be nice to discuss the unique strategy this game could have in terms of naval battles.

Edited by Heródoto
Grammar

maby planned features.

We need improving this.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3002

Island maps
(AI, ship movement, pathfinding)

Ship ramming #305

We have planning Ship ramming.

Advanced Ship movement.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/940

Ship animations.

Improved Ship movement
(basic animations, formations, and movement improvements)

You can found all this here.

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus

In those Trac forums -- interesting forums -- you say you'll have the boats used for other things beyond the mobility of units, but if you look at the game, ships usually only serve for that purpose. I mean:
At sea, in addition to the non-mobility of infantry and cavalry, there is neither a mine or a territory to fight for, the treasures are not enough. In many RTS the same thing happens and it causes that military boats are not very useful. Many players don't see the sea strategically, they just want to cross it. This aspect can improve creating a camouflaged metal mine on a pearl reef or on one of those shipwrecked ships (like the Egyptian pyramids) with a limit of 2-3 workers on it (so trade revenues still remains useful). Now players would see the sea in a more strategic way, the same way they see the gold and stone mines on earth. And the game is gonna to encourage people to spend soldiers garrisoned on ships willing to steal or capture marine gold mines engaging in naval confrotations. Ships that have space for 50 soldiers assume that they are only for transport. Even the fortresses don't have that much space. It's like they're screaming that they're only serving as cargo ships. 

What I mean by this is if you've thoroughly analyzed the usefulness of having warships to engage in a real maritime war.

• Like 1

I was reading about the ancient naval wars and found that the trirremes used to carry very little infantry crew and that their main form of attack was ramming the enemy ship. And therefore the birremes even less. So I thought, what if they made the birremes a totally military type of ship? Ships that can't carry soldiers, just attack, would it turn out to be chaos or could it be a new way to play on island maps?

Making an attack animation that simply pushes forward and roll back the boat couldn't be that difficult, even if it was a bit scary. And adding some sound to that.

Edited by Heródoto
Tipography