DerpHammer

Timnaka

37 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Check template_structure and its obstruction component. :)

Thanks, but I think I formulated my question poorly.
I only want specific units (spells, ghosts and the like) to be able to walk through buildings while still being impassible for regular units.
I've been tinkering with the obstruction component in template_unit but I can't get it to work the way I want it to.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so it's been a while since I posted
DerpHammer 2.0 is progressing slowly, but it is progressing!
I just ported it over to the Alpha 25 Pre-release version (the second release candidate specifically)
everything went well, except I'm having issues with the structure tree
for the Dwarf faction it is completely broken and I'm getting these messages, though I don't know what they mean:
unknown.png
for the Empire faction, the tree works but I'm still getting some of the messages:
unknown.png
I've tried looking what I did differently between the two to find out why one works and the other doesn't, but I can't figure it out...

• Like 3

Have you altered the Structure Tree within your mod at all? Perhaps increased the amount of "Trainer Units"? (Do you have a file called: gui/reference/structree/Sections/Trainer/TrainerSection.xml ?) If so, you will need to change style="StructNameSpecific" to style="StructNamePrimary".

As to the other error, could you check that all templates listed in the StartingEntities section of your simulation/data/civs/{civ}.json files exist? (If they don't then you should also see errors when starting a "Random" (instead of Skirmish or Scenario) map with that civ in play.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, s0600204 said:

Have you altered the Structure Tree within your mod at all? Perhaps increased the amount of "Trainer Units"? (Do you have a file called: gui/reference/structree/Sections/Trainer/TrainerSection.xml ?) If so, you will need to change style="StructNameSpecific" to style="StructNamePrimary".

As to the other error, could you check that all templates listed in the StartingEntities section of your simulation/data/civs/{civ}.json files exist? (If they don't then you should also see errors when starting a "Random" (instead of Skirmish or Scenario) map with that civ in play.)

That solved it!
Thank you very much!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Oh boy, I haven't posted here in over a year...
I've continued working on DerpHammer despite my silence (even though I made some months long hiatuses along the way) and posting some progress updates over on my Mod DB page.
I've had some struggles here and there, but mostly I've been able to figure stuff out by myself.

That said, there are some problems I can't seem to solve on my own.
Most recently, I've tried to have my units change color based on the player's color, like the vanilla units do!
But for some reason it isn't working even though I just copied how it's done in the base game...

In the example here, I want the pants of the orcs to be the player color.
I've copied the file structure from the actor file of the female citizen, just changing the textures to my own.
(fabric.png is a transparent image and fabric_spec.png is single flat color)
But no matter what I do, in-game the pants just show up as pitch black.

906398640_0adtest2.png.41f084d7cab79dbb51eccdf62d23d4a5.png1430718309_0adtest1.png.df6dfe8ae1ebecc86db32d66c3eb3427.png

What am I doing wrong?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Timnaka said:

In the example here, I want the pants of the orcs to be the player color.

Given your pants are black I think it might be GIMP at play. There is a weirdly undocumented feature of GIMP when exporting a PNG

> Stanislas Dolcini:
The background color on a png of a full alpha pixel becomes the background color of the brush when exporting [...] 

Try to set your background brush to white.

If that still does not work, add a white layer with 1% opacity below your texture prior to exporting to png.

Also note that actors do not change color, only actors with templates do.

PS: Would you like to make your mod available on mod.io for all A26 users ? 0ad.mod.io

This way it can be downloaded from the game. It just needs a team signature to check there are no viruses in it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Given your pants are black I think it might be GIMP at play.

I didn't use GIMP for my textures, I'll go give this a try!

Also note that actors do not change color, only actors with templates do.

I'll keep that in mind.

PS: Would you like to make your mod available on mod.io for all A26 users ? 0ad.mod.io

That sounds neat! I'm not confident to release my current build as there's still some work to be done, but once I'm ready to release it I would be interested.

Another question about textures that change to the player's color:
Is there any way to retain transparency fo some parts of the texture?

I really like the new feature of the banners for formations, since it allows me to easily include unique banners for every faction. However, since I don't want to make every banner a simple square or to individually model every flag shape, I was gonna use transparency to get differet flag shape. However, the player_trans material turning everything fully transparent into solid black is thrwing a wrench into that.

Left is how it is supposed to look like, right is how it actually looks currently.

banners.png.5a28282e5efefe51c2b4528862137c42.png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Timnaka said:

Another question about textures that change to the player's color:
Is there any way to retain transparency fo some parts of the texture?

I really like the new feature of the banners for formations, since it allows me to easily include unique banners for every faction. However, since I don't want to make every banner a simple square or to individually model every flag shape, I was gonna use transparency to get differet flag shape. However, the player_trans material turning everything fully transparent into solid black is thrwing a wrench into that.

Left is how it is supposed to look like, right is how it actually looks currently.

banners.png.5a28282e5efefe51c2b4528862137c42.png

You can only use one kind of material blending per object or actor. You could either give the golden fringe its own geometry in the mesh or make the fringe a prop with its own material blending (basic_trans.xml).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

You can only use one kind of material blending per object or actor. You could either give the golden fringe its own geometry in the mesh or make the fringe a prop with its own material blending (basic_trans.xml).

I see.
I'll have to work around that then!

• Like 1