New Game Creation [Mutant Wars]

Intellect

Hey Guys, I'm gonna try to get some modding experience by starting a mod for a new game called Mutant Wars, an RTS overlayed on the 0 AD engine. Its going to use 5 "factions" each with their respective properties that can be "combined" to create new properties. I'm working on the icon art, as the art is something I really enjoy doing, but I'm definitely going to run issues with the code structure, because I want this game to be similar to "Battle-Forge" (the Card-based RTS game). Can you all let me know if you have any ideas or inputs, as I would really appreciate it! I will continue to update this post with the content that comes out for this.

Synopsis of game: You control a biodome that produces blank mutants. These mutants can activate certain genes based on the "5 factions" in varying degrees to yield certain effects on a single unit.

Check out the Logo

0ad_logo.png.b1ee8484f040ae35ddb3fe03e5f0d15a.png

Here is the loading Screen:

1098408906_Screenshotfrom2020-05-1907-18-13.thumb.png.89fbb7e186c6b917b08fdc9c78afac85.png

Ok, so here are the 5 factions. It's slightly based on MTG with the 5 colors of mana :banana:

THERMIC - Fire/Speed/Damage over Time (DoT)/Burst Damage

Thermic.png.4fb34f794beff664525c619a1ed198b2.png

CRYOTIC- Slow/Freeze/Building/Defense/Tech/Harass

Cryotic.png.50499ce99f20b706ccdca05f3226cd20.png

NECROTIC- Degen/Debuffs/Leech/DoT/Zombiefication/Leprosy/Skeletonization/Vampirism/Insta-death

Necrotic.png.0b1d98480d33b7b67b9a39260fd10c3b.png

ANABOLIC- Health/Regen/Buildings/Resistance/Armor/Buffs/Speed/Damage/Unit Growth

Anabolic.png.bdfbd9f8424589b18ad02fa537dbcc47.png

PHOTIC- Sight/Speed/Invisibility/Regen/Buffs/Unit multiplication/Unit Sustain/Harass

Photic.png.422b24103aaf4f1cab97bd7f74057df1.png

All of these icons are custom made on GIMP! I'll be back for more

Edited by Intellect
Uploaded new images
  • Like 4

Well, I can help with general map gameplay design but I don't have any experience with art assets, etc...

Assuming it would have 1-2 resources (mana generation) I would expect them to look similar to starcraft maps (well defined base locations etc).

Edited by badosu

8 minutes ago, badosu said:

Well, I can help with general map gameplay design but I don't have any experience with art assets, etc...

Assuming it would have 1-2 resources (mana generation) I would expect them to look similar to starcraft maps (well defined base locations etc).

Right. I'm not sure about resource allocation though. If we have 5 factions, each representing a different characteristic, then shouldn't we have 5 separate resources? What do you think?

I think that would be hard to make work, for map generation, map control, etc...

I was thinking of 1 to 2 resources (e.g. mana + energy or something else). Or maybe an alternative resource generation via buildings (e.g. mana tower)

Villagers would be easier to fit into 0ad model and balance I guess yeah, with mana tower I'm not sure, I'd assume all units are 'citizen-soldiers' thought champion units could be made as dedicated fighter units.

I'd start with a single faction to test the model and branch out when the mod mechanics are validated.

10 hours ago, Stan` said:

Can you be more specific?

Like, what things do you usually work on first? The directory system in 0AD is quite complex, even adding a single new unit takes a while to figure out. Im thinking of mapping unit creation in order to get started...

1 minute ago, m7600 said:

I already gave you an answer in your other thread, where you asked the same question:

There you can find a link to the 0A Modding Guide, as well as tutorials on how to get started, and a recommended exercise for understanding 0AD's file structure.

Thanks man! Let me check the other thread where you informed me of that previously. Didnt see it apparently :banger:

• 3 months later...