Ricsand(7.57)
Metafondations(7.43)
Dakeyras (7.39)
MarcAurel (7.29)
Issh(7.14)
go2die(6.82)
Lord_Commander (6.62)
esu(6.04)

The way to make even team is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_problem

The strongest to each team

ValihrAnt(10)
Borg(9.5)
Phyzic(9.18)
Boudica(8.96)
Rauls(8.89)
fpre (8.86)     <- weakest sum

then sort the sum of strengths and assign next strongest to weakest sum

ValihrAnt(10)
Borg(9.5)
Phyzic(9.18)
Boudica(8.96)
Rauls(8.89)     <- weakest sum
fpre (8.86)     Stockfish(8.75)

and so on

ValihrAnt(10)    UnknownPlayer(8.0)
Borg(9.5)         Badosu(8.07)
Phyzic(9.18)    Havran(8.07)
Boudica(8.96)    Edwarf(8.46)
Rauls(8.89)     chrstgtr(8.64)
fpre (8.86)     Stockfish(8.75)

and so on

ValihrAnt(10)    UnknownPlayer(8.0)    18
Borg(9.5)         Badosu(8.07)        17.57
Phyzic(9.18)    Havran(8.07)        17.25    <- weakest sum
Boudica(8.96)    Edwarf(8.46)        17.42
Rauls(8.89)     chrstgtr(8.64)        17.53
fpre (8.86)     Stockfish(8.75)        17.61

ValihrAnt(10)    UnknownPlayer(8.0)    18        Metafondations(7.43)    25.43
Borg(9.5)         Badosu(8.07)        17.57    Vicentesk(7.64)            25.21
Phyzic(9.18)    Havran(8.07)        17.25    Dakara (8.0)            25.25
Boudica(8.96)    Edwarf(8.46)        17.42    SaidRdz(7.96)            25.38
Rauls(8.89)     chrstgtr(8.64)        17.53    randomid (7.89)            25.42
fpre (8.86)     Stockfish(8.75)        17.61    Ricsand(7.57)            25.18   <- weakest sum

ValihrAnt(10)    UnknownPlayer(8.0)    18        Metafondations(7.43)    25.43    esu(6.04)
Borg(9.5)         Badosu(8.07)        17.57    Vicentesk(7.64)            25.21    MarcAurel (7.29)
Phyzic(9.18)    Havran(8.07)        17.25    Dakara (8.0)            25.25    Issh(7.14)
Boudica(8.96)    Edwarf(8.46)        17.42    SaidRdz(7.96)            25.38    go2die(6.82)
Rauls(8.89)     chrstgtr(8.64)        17.53    randomid (7.89)            25.42    Lord_Commander (6.62)
fpre (8.86)     Stockfish(8.75)        17.61    Ricsand(7.57)            25.18    Dakeyras (7.39)

I did sums quickly on my head in case of mistakes

• Thanks 1

Some of you make more or less implicit assumptions. I let you think about these assumptions, below are some of them.

1. A player strength (or skill level or whatever you call it) can be reduced to just a number.
  2. Thus, if player A is stronger than B, and B stronger than C, then A is stronger than C.
  3. This number does not fluctuate (time, computer, internet, game settings such as civs, map, starting resources, positons, etc).
  4. You can always easily predict the outcome of a match just based on these numbers.
  5. The strength of a team is just the sum of the individual strengths. A variation of this assumption is: the strength of a team is just the sum of the four best individual numbers.
  6. Players and observers won't have fun with the current teams.
  7. Any player would accept to team up with any other player.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, eae said:

Some of you make more or less implicit assumptions.

You've just made an explicit assumption. ;)

3 hours ago, eae said:
  • A player strength (or skill level or whatever you call it) can be reduced to just a number.
  • Thus, if player A is stronger than B, and B stronger than C, then A is stronger than C.
  • This number does not fluctuate (time, computer, internet, game settings such as civs, map, starting resources, positons, etc).

I think it's been already mentioned that the purpose of the rating is to put players in a relative order by their averaged performance over many games and different conditions. These assumptions are correct if you use this definition.

3 hours ago, eae said:

You can always easily predict the outcome of a match just based on these numbers.

Who made this assumption? Also, I'll bet you $1000 that the weakest team won't win a single game against the top rated teams. I'm not saying that my prediction was easy to make but still.

3 hours ago, eae said:

The strength of a team is just the sum of the individual strengths. A variation of this assumption is: the strength of a team is just the sum of the four best individual numbers.

Thanks, but this has already been addressed too. Have you read the thread, or are you just trying to argue with a straw man here? I mean, it's not bad to list these as a warning, but as @PhyZik said, the 0 A.D. community is a bunch of nerds. We aren't dumb.

3 hours ago, eae said:
  • Players and observers won't have fun with the current teams.
  • Any player would accept to team up with any other player.

Yes, good observation, these really are some questions we've been discussing above. Do you have any arguments to add? Because I've played a few games and I quite know this community. No one watches a pro playing a noob. No one likes to play in an inferior team.

5 hours ago, Boudica said:

You've just made an explicit assumption. ;)

I rather made observations than assumptions.

I think it's been already mentioned that the purpose of the rating is to put players in a relative order by their averaged performance over many games and different conditions.

You mention rating based on averaged performance over many games and different conditions. There is no such data in this thread. The proposed ratings are (average of) assessments, this is a different thing.

These assumptions are correct if you use this definition.

Do you believe these assumptions are also correct for team games?

Also, I'll bet you $1000 that the weakest team won't win a single game against the top rated teams. I'm not saying that my prediction was easy to make but still.

The bet thing is interesting. You say you would bet 1000$, but it does not tell us much. The point is: how much would you win the bet?

Thanks, but this has already been addressed too. Have you read the thread, or are you just trying to argue with a straw man here? I mean, it's not bad to list these as a warning, but as @PhyZik said, the 0 A.D. community is a bunch of nerds.

Please show us where it was addressed in this thread.

We aren't dumb.

This is just an assumption.

Yes, good observation, these really are some questions we've been discussing above.

Those two are not observations, those are assumptions.

Do you have any arguments to add? Because I've played a few games and I quite know this community.

What an argument.

No one watches a pro playing a noob. No one likes to play in an inferior team.

Do you have any argument or data to back these assumptions?

In some 1v1 tournament i played ValihrAnt and i would bet 1000£ that i am going to lose 10 out of 10. Still i enjoyed the experience. I understand that some player who are above the team average strength might feel like they have been held back and more competition means more fun to some extend. but still each team has the potential to win some games. I would suggest we play for now while we continue to develope more advanced mechanisms for the next season that allow to improve balance

Edited by MarcusAureliu#s

You know what, @eae? If you don't have anything reasonable to bring to the discussion, you better just stop contributing. You are quoting what I said in response to you but not include the original point I was responding to. So am I supposed to go find it myself in order to understand your short answers? I'm not going to do the extra work for you when you don't even feel like going through what had been said by others.

The key point remains that you are talking about some assumptions people supposedly made. I asked you who made those assumptions according to your observations. What is the reason why you didn't quote this specifically important question of mine and provide the required information? When I proceeded to explain why it wasn't wrong to make some of those assumptions anyway, you come back re-framing specifically those as your observations. Well, great job taking the credit for my work.

You aren't being smart by responding to my assumptions with "this is an assumption" either. I supply a reason why I state something (even if you decide to leave it out of the quotation), which is the opposite of what you've been doing. Like it or not, the reasons I provide are not always exact data. I sure could provide the data in some cases, but it's enough for the purpose of this discussion if I can prove my credibility regarding a topic and state my opinion, or just roughly state what I base my opinion on. By quoting a price, I'm demonstrating how strong I believe my statement. When another credible person has a completely different option, which is unlikely to happen, we'll have to work with the real data we have. I'm not going to do this for you here now because your contribution has been of little value and it would be a waste of my time.

• Like 1

@Boudica my key point was to provoke thought, not to point fingers at people. Let people try events and improve.
In responses to my intial message, you bring little value to the discussion and do various rhetoric such as pointless question. You are also trying to discredit me with false accusations. I keep note that you admit making no effort to read previous message and that you prioritise your beliefs over data, facts and arguments. You are not proving your credibility at all.
(A detail: I used the quote button and my original quotes were skipped each time. Hopefully the original one is still unmodified above in the thread.)

The bet thing is a relevant point. Let's say you consider T1 is the "strongest" team and T2 the "weakest" team and you bet 1000$ on T1. If T2 wins, you lose 1000$. If T1 wins, what is your net profit? I am also asking this question to @MarcusAureliu#s

• Confused 1

Valihrant - 10

Borg- 9.25

Stockfish - 8.75

Phyzic - 8

Boudica - 8

Havran - 8

Faction - 8

Edwarf - 8

Rauls - 8

Fpre - 8

Saidrdz - 8

Chrsgtr - 7.75

Unknown_player - 7.75

Ricsand - 7.75

Dakara - 7.5

Randomid - 7.5

Issh - 7.25

Go2die - 7

When i consider 0.25 as big different. All those players got rating of 8 by me are not equals but +-

Edited by Wendy22

3 hours ago, PhyZik said:

May Gods                              fpre (8.25), MarcAurel (7.25), Lord_Commander (6.5), randomid (7.75)
French                                    Dakara (7.5), esu(6.75), Metafondations(7.5), Dakeyras (7.5) 
eae em                                   Badosu(7.5), Stockfish(9), borg-(9.25) , Vicentesk(8)
Animal Farm                         ValihrAnt(9.75), PhyZic(8.5), Issh(7.25), Edwarf(7.75), aow(5.75)
Los Gringos                          chrstgtr(8.75), Rauls(8.25), SaidRdz(8), Ricsand(8)
???                                          Boudica(8.5), UnknownPlayer(7.75),  Havran(8), go2die(7)

RIP perfect 10...

• Like 1

Here are my ratings

ValihrAnt(10.25)

borg-(eae)

PhyZic(goat)

Boudica(rush)

Rauls(always connected)

fpre (fgod)

Stockfish(1vs1)

chrstgtr(op)

Edwarf(nub)

Badosu(?)

Havran(The pride of tier3)

UnknownPlayer(rams)

Dakara (Croissant)

SaidRdz(8)

randomid (spam)

Ricsand(Brit&Nub host)

Metafondations(Crêpe)

Dakeyras (Baguette)

Issh(Preacher of nubness)

esu(Fr)

aow (colgate)

ITRELLES (Lasagna)

darkcity(nub)

go2die(kushites)

Palaiologos(fail)

those are approximate ratings, they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Edited by faction02
It didn't feel right to rate all French players t the same level, their ratings has been precised. go2die was missing. Where was Palai?
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, faction02 said:

Here are my ratings

ValihrAnt(10.25)

borg-(eae)

PhyZic(goat)

Boudica(rush)

Rauls(always connected)

fpre (fgod)

Stockfish(1vs1)

chrstgtr(op)

Edwarf(nub)

Badosu(?)

Havran(The pride of tier3)

UnknownPlayer(rams)

Dakara (Fr)

SaidRdz(8)

randomid (spam)

Ricsand(Brit&Nub host)

Metafondations(Fr)

Dakeyras (Fr)

Issh(Preacher of nubness)

esu(Fr)

aow (colgate)

ITRELLES (Lasagna)

darkcity(nub)

those are approximate ratings, they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

You forgot randomid rating 41

Also you should enter some team eae

• Haha 1