• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a work in progress for the mod I'm making. It's a storehouse for the Mali Empire

Here is how the civic center looks like in game. It still needs a lot (seriously, a lot) of work, but I followed @Ultimate Aurelian's recommendations by removing the spiked doorway and the zig-zag dec

Malian defense tower WIP

Posted Images

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Update on the civic center. The structure was looking kind of weird, like it was leaning back, so I had to adjust some stuff. Starting to add detail now, still have to make the texture more rough, and include the player color following @wowgetoffyourcellphone's suggestion.

mali_civic_center_03.png

The building's shape looks much better.

Although i think the short square pillars on the second floor door are a bit odd.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

The building's shape looks much better.

Although i think the short square pillars on the second floor door are a bit odd.

Thanks! Good to know that I'm going in the right direction. One gets somewhat "blinded" when working on a piece for too long. Flipping the image usually helps to discover the errors. That's how I noticed that the shape was flawed.
You're right about the short pillars, those were placeholders that I forgot to delete, lol.

Here is a work in progress of the blacksmith. I know it looks ugly right now, it's too geometric and it has hard lines everywhere. There will be time to beautify it later, right now I want to get the general idea right. Speaking of which, I tried to follow your recommendation for the open air furnace instead of a chimney. As for the spears, they are just placeholders for more varied weapons. I'm also trying to make dirtier textures, following @Sturm observations.

mali_blacksmith.png

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Thanks! Good to know that I'm going in the right direction. One gets somewhat "blinded" when working on a piece for too long. Flipping the image usually helps to discover the errors. That's how I noticed that the shape was flawed.
You're right about the short pillars, those were placeholders that I forgot to delete, lol.

Here is a work in progress of the blacksmith. I know it looks ugly right now, it's too geometric and it has hard lines everywhere. There will be time to beautify it later, right now I want to get the general idea right. Speaking of which, I tried to follow your recommendation for the open air furnace instead of a chimney. As for the spears, they are just placeholders for more varied weapons. I'm also trying to make dirtier textures, following @Sturm observations.

mali_blacksmith.png

Maybe remove the spear rack on the roof or a add staircase leading to the roof, it does not make much sense to store things in a place you cant reach.

I like the outdoor furnace; i think it could be more rounded with a rougher clay texture, perhaps shorten it a bit (If you think it does not make the building harder to recognize).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Maybe remove the spear rack on the roof or a add staircase leading to the roof, it does not make much sense to store things in a place you cant reach.

Lol, true :lmao:The reference that you posted gave me an idea, instead of using an outer staircase like I was doing, I'll see if I can make an interior one, with a wooden opening on the roof.

3 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

I like the outdoor furnace; i think it could be more rounded with a rougher clay texture, perhaps shorten it a bit (If you think it does not make the building harder to recognize).

I agree, I think I can make a shorter furnace work. As always, some very good constructive critiques from you, and a very keen eye.

Edited by m7600
sloppy writing

At first sight theres a good contrast with the terrain or the illumination of the Engine.

• Specially for Civic Center and Blacksmith. 
  • Houses have a little pinky touch compared to Civic center or maybe is the position. 
  • Defense tower looks good and match with CC.
  • Storehouse also match but the Orange wooden planks maybe has too much contrast.

But those are my thoughts i wonder if any other has the same thoughts at first sight but in overall Good work, Keep it up!

• Like 2

@Alexandermb Thanks for the feedback! Fair points, all of them. I'm sure other people would agree as well.

I still have a long way to go with this proyect, but I'm getting there : P (and I'm actually having fun and I'm learning a lot of stuff while doing it!)

• Thanks 2

Actually the hardest part is manage to get the building blueprints and properly match texture with ingame enviroment and so far you managed to do both, now only comes the basic buildings such as Barracks and those stuff depending on what you gonna need.

We have the sketch's for Suevi faction but don't have a 100% working texture to know wich UV use until then.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

now only comes the basic buildings such as Barracks and those stuff depending on what you gonna need.

You would laugh if you saw what I did with the barracks, that one is ugly AF right now : D 

But I'm working on it : )

3 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

We have the sketch's for Suevi faction but don't have a 100% working texture to know wich UV use until then.

Would love to see them, if that's possible.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Would love to see them, if that's possible.

Here is a list of all the sketches:

Spoiler
On 5/30/2019 at 2:46 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Suebians

Rally Point Flag

Reveal hidden contents

img024.jpg

General Look References

Reveal hidden contents

d_97.jpg&key=4c2811e1ff392c3b6e2316bde53

Civic Center

Reveal hidden contents

Germanic civil center.jpgimg017.jpgGermanic CC and GH.jpg

House

Reveal hidden contents

img014.jpggetimage.jpg

Storehouse

Reveal hidden contents

img019.jpg

Farmstead/Corral (combined building)

Reveal hidden contents

farmstead.png

Dock

Reveal hidden contents

img019.jpg

Market

Reveal hidden contents

market.png

Temple

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot0199.jpg

Glory Statue

Reveal hidden contents

0e3ecdf9b0b141a425a2758dc6d5402f.jpg&key

The "totem pole" (for lack of a better term) on the right, behind the horseman and dog.

Forge (aka "Blacksmith")

Reveal hidden contents

Escáner_20190928.jpg

Defense Tower

Reveal hidden contents

img033.jpg

Barracks

Reveal hidden contents

69314669_2440138022741186_85769045159224

Stable

Reveal hidden contents

img020.jpg

Archery Range

Reveal hidden contents

img020.jpg

Great Hall (Special Building)

Reveal hidden contents

img011.jpg

Siege Workshop

Reveal hidden contents

img081.jpg

Fortress

Reveal hidden contents

img034.jpg

Town Walls

Reveal hidden contents

img038.jpg

biskupin.jpg&key=61063ef86a9224ef74c504f

Wonder

Link to the whole thread:

• Thanks 1

@Ultimate Aurelian Thank you very much, those sketches are great. I will carefully read the whole thread tomorrow.

For now, just an update. While making buildings is fun and I haven't finished them yet, at some point I wanted to get started on the units. Here is a preview of the Malian female citizen. I used the standard meshes and the Kushite textures, the only thing I did was to redecorate the dress with a Bambara pattern. They all have the same dress for now. 
For the icon, I followed @wowgetoffyourcellphone's great tutorial. I had to change some of the steps since I don't have Photoshop, but I think I managed to get a similar result with Gimp.

Screenshot from 2020-05-19 01-02-04.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My guess is that the steps to replicate the background glow are different. 

Yep, that's the main one. Gimp doesn't have outer glow (actually I should qualify that, 2.8 doesn't have it, I don't know if newer versions incorporated it, or maybe there's a plugin). But you can recreate it using drop shadow with an orange color.

Here's a progress report. Admittedly I didn't do much art today, but it's because I'm researching the military history of this empire. It's quite fascinating. It was basically an archer / cavalry civ. I think I'm going to make the champion archer have fire arrows for attacking buildings, and the champion cavalry will have 1.5x attack against infantry. Maybe even 3x.

mali_spearmen.png

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Here's a progress report. Admittedly I didn't do much art today, but it's because I'm researching the military history of this empire. It's quite fascinating. It was basically an archer / cavalry civ. I think I'm going to make the champion archer have fire arrows for attacking buildings, and the champion cavalry will have 1.5x attack against infantry. Maybe even 3x.

mali_spearmen.png

An article with some terminology that could be used for unit names:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_the_Mali_Empire

For roster perhaps something like this:

Infantry Spearman

Infantry Swordsman

Infantry archer

Cavalry archer

Cavalry spearman

Champion bow infantry

Champion  horseman (Sabre?)

• Thanks 1

@Ultimate Aurelian Many thanks for the feedback. That wiki is quite good indeed.

I may have this wrong, but for what it's worth, here was my plan for the roster:

Village phase:

Kèlè-koun (Mandinka Spearman)

Kun-tigui (Mandinka Archer)

Dùùkùnàsi (Nianian Cavalry Lancer)

‐-----‐-‐--------------------------------

Town phase:

Mercenary infantry swordsman (I don't know the historical name, have to research it)

Dogon Hunter (Mercenary javelineer)

------------------------------------------

City phase:

Ton-tigi (Champion Archer, w/ flaming arrows)

Farimba (Champion Cavalry, w/ sword, 1.5x against infantry)

The two rosters are almost identical. The only thing that I'm not too sure about is your proposal for a cavalry archer. From what I've read, their cavalry was melee (spears, lances, sabres for the most part).

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, m7600 said:

@Ultimate Aurelian Many thanks for the feedback. That wiki is quite good indeed.

The two rosters are almost identical. The only thing that I'm not too sure about is your proposal for a cavalry archer. From what I've read, their cavalry was melee (spears, lances, sabres for the most part).

There is a depiction of a horseman with a quiver:

Djenne_Terracotta_Equestrian_(13th-15th_

Although it is possible it was a infantryman who dismounted upon reaching battle.

The mercenary infantry swordsman could be a Tuareg raider armed with Takoba.

For heroes it depends on how wide you intend your timeline to be; my suggestion is Sundiata, Mansa Musa and Mahmud IV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

There is a depiction of a horseman with a quiver:

Lol true, I didn't catch that at first sight.

Although it is possible it was a infantryman who dismounted upon reaching battle.

Nah, I think you're right about it being a horseman with a quiver. Cavalry archers are in the roster, then. 

The swordsman could be a Tuareg raider armed with Takoba.

That could work. Although, if I recall correctly, the empire waged war against the Tuaregs at some point. But they might have been allies before that. Another option could be Jolof horsemen. They too became oponents, but at first I think they were allies.

Edit: Although a Fulani raider might work as well. I think they were always allies of the Mandinka throughout the empire's existence, and they too used takuba swords.

For heroes it depends on how wide you intend your timeline to be; my suggestion is Sundiata, Mansa Musa and Mahmud IV

I agree 100% about Sundiata Keita and Mansa Musa, they definately have to be in. I don't know much about the life of Mahmud IV, I'll have to do some research.

Edited by m7600
  • Like 1
44 minutes ago, m7600 said:

That could work. Although, if I recall correctly, the empire waged war against the Tuaregs at some point. But they might have been allies before that. Another option could be Jolof horsemen. They too became oponents, but at first I think they were allies.

Edit: Although a Fulani raider might work as well. I think they were always allies of the Mandinka throughout the empire's existence, and they too used takuba swords.

They probably were on friendly terms with some of the tribes; a lot of the Mali empire's wealth came from trade with North Africa and the Tuareg played a important role as intermediaries.

Perhaps a Fulani Takoba infantry and a Tuareg camel spearman as mercenaries ?

• Like 2

You convinced me. Tuareg camel raiders are in, then.

On a side note, I'm reworking the dress for the ladies. While I did like the yellow-orange color scheme, I had to replace it with transparency so that it shows the team colors. I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, but they will have to do for now.

Edit: Added advanced spearmen with team colors.

mali_women_team_colors.png

mali_advanced_spearmen_team_colors.png

Edited by m7600
Added advanced spearmen
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

You convinced me. Tuareg camel raiders are in, then.

On a side note, I'm reworking the dress for the ladies. While I did like the yellow-orange color scheme, I had to replace it with transparency so that it shows the team colors. I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, but they will have to do for now.

Edit: Added advanced spearmen with team colors.

mali_women_team_colors.png

mali_advanced_spearmen_team_colors.png

i like the cloth patterns, one suggestion is to make them only spawn with dark hair (The Kushite red dyed hair does not fit them).

• Like 1