@Stan` Here's the texture, it's a modification of the texture for the Kushite buildings. I'm slowly replacing all of the Kushite parts, but I haven't finished it yet. All of the textures that I added to it are either from burningwell.org or from cc0textures.com
As for the graphical patterns, I painted them myself with Gimp, by looking at references.

mali_struct.png

• Like 3
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a work in progress for the mod I'm making. It's a storehouse for the Mali Empire

Here is how the civic center looks like in game. It still needs a lot (seriously, a lot) of work, but I followed @Ultimate Aurelian's recommendations by removing the spiked doorway and the zig-zag dec

Malian defense tower WIP

Posted Images

@Stan` Thanks! What is your process like? I haven't used photoshop in years. For making normal maps, I just use Gimp. There's a plug in for that, I think it works ok.
Here's a quick one I just did, it still needs a lot of adjustments.

mali_struct_norm.png

2 minutes ago, m7600 said:

@Stan` Thanks! What is your process like? I haven't used photoshop in years. For making normal maps, I just use Gimp. There's a plug in for that, I think it works ok.
Here's a quick one I just did, it still needs a lot of adjustments.

mali_struct_norm.png

Not just plug in since gimp 2.10.14 or 2.10.18 it is one of the default components I believe Newly added Normal Map filter https://www.gimp.org/news/2019/10/31/gimp-2-10-14-released/

9 minutes ago, asterix said:

Not just plug in since gimp 2.10.14 or 2.10.18 it is one of the default components I believe Newly added Normal Map filter

Cool, I didn't know that. I'm still using 2.8.22. I'll have to update it. I wonder why Ubuntu didn't do this automatically for me.

4 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Cool, I didn't know that. I'm still using 2.8.22. I'll have to update it. I wonder why Ubuntu didn't do this automatically for me.

Unfortunately does not automatically install the latest version only the one that is current when the distro is released also the reason we recommend getting blender directly from blender.org for Gimp 2.10.14 look up the flatpak version which is what I did on Mint 19.3

Enjoy the Choice :)  

7 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Unfortunately does not automatically install the latest version only the one that is current when the distro is released also the reason we recommend getting blender directly from blender.org for Gimp 2.10.14 look up the flatpak version which is what I did on Mint 19.3

I see. I don't have flatpak, I sometimes use snap (I try to avoid it if I can), but usually I install stuff with the terminal, using sudo apt-get install. Should I get flatpak? Also, would you recommend Mint instead of Ubuntu? I really like the distro that I'm using, but I'm curious to know if you think I should get Mint.

I moved from fedora to Mint quite a while ago mainly for the "Cinnamon" desktop that I really like it is strictly personal preference now if you don't want to use flatpak have a look at appimage they provide a static build that is they do not use your installed system libs they compile the newest upstream versions into their releases it actually runs in userland so there is no interaction with your current OS version. If you do decide to go for Mint wait for the release of version 20 which will be based on Ubuntu 20.04 it will be a LTS version.

• Thanks 1

@Stan` Thanks for making that pdf! Very helpful. I will try to use your technique using only Blender, I'd like to see if I can get the same result without having to use photoshop.

Edit: I meant to say "using only Gimp" instead of "using only Blender". Lol, I always get these names confused when I use them simultaneously : P

@Loki1950 Cool, thanks. I'm still using Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. I'll have to check out 20.04 LTS. From what I've read, it seems to be very oriented towards security, with new stuff like WireGuard. I'm not too concerned about security though (that sounded really silly, but it's the truth, lol)

Edited by m7600
Reply to Loki, and I meant to say Gimp instead of Blender
10 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Thanks for making that pdf! Very helpful. I will try to use your technique using only Blender, I'd like to see if I can get the same result without having to use photoshop.

Should work, modelling can be as fast as painting :)

30 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

I moved from fedora to Mint quite a while ago mainly for the "Cinnamon" desktop that I really like it is strictly personal preference

You can actually use Cinnamon on Fedora:

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/cinnamon/

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/cinnamon/download/index.html

Anyway, enjoy your choice. :)

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Sorry for the crappy quality of the final result, but you can do much much better :)

No need to apologize, I'm thankful for the pdf!
Quick question: when you make the ambient occlusion map in Blender for the 0AD models, how many samples are you setting before baking? I'm using 20 samples, is that too low?

Edit: here is what one of my AO map with 20 samples looks like in the 3D viewport / UV editor (the building is the Malian civic center, work in progress)

Screenshot from 2020-05-17 13-16-56.png

Edited by m7600
Included images
  • Like 1

Thanks! I see that he uses 20-25 samples, so by coincidence I'm doing it the right way : )

10 minutes ago, Stan` said:

If you need a tutorial for Blender 2.8 I can create one :)

Nah, that's ok, I'm using 2.79. I have 2.8 installed as well but I don't use it, I can't get accustomed to the new keyboard shortcuts.

@Nescio the desktop was not the main reason just got tired of the various nose bleeds of fedora's bleeding edge approach with every new version kinda like your current hassle with gcc 10 as the default compiler;) That and Mint's LTS model was appealing.

Here is how the civic center looks like in game. It still needs a lot (seriously, a lot) of work, but I followed @Ultimate Aurelian's recommendations by removing the spiked doorway and the zig-zag decorations, I also incorporated a courtyard in the center, trying to following the references that he provided. I used @Stan`'s techinque, but using only Gimp; I think that the resulting normal map is close enough.

mali_civic_center_game.png

mali_struct_norm.png

• Like 10

Such an amazing job! Congrats! However, let me again suggest that the buildings, especially those present in the 0 ad mods, need a little more "dirtiness", a little "noise" in the textures, to be more believable and aligned with the scenery. Very homogeneous colors, smooth walls, absolutely regular lines ... all this bring an artificial aspect and, therefore, it distances itself from the game's proposal. Anyway, still an amazing job! Congrats again and keep going! :)

• Thanks 1

@Sturm Thank you very much! You are correct, they need to look more rough and less geometric. I'm almost finished with the structural part for buildings, so now I can focus more on the textures and the details : D

@Stan` That will be a difficult one. Not technically, but artistically. I'm not sure which parts of the models I should use for this. Maybe in some fabrics, like flags? I'll have to take a better look at the game's civs to see how it is done. Thanks again : )

25 minutes ago, m7600 said:

@Sturm Thank you very much! You are correct, they need to look more rough and less geometric. I'm almost finished with the structural part for buildings, so now I can focus more on the textures and the details : D

@Stan` That will be a difficult one. Not technically, but artistically. I'm not sure which parts of the models I should use for this. Maybe in some fabrics, like flags? I'll have to take a better look at the game's civs to see how it is done. Thanks again : )

1 possible suggestion:

colortest.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1