Ideas for New Civilizations [Core Game]

1 minute ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Azanians (Early inhabitants of the Swahili coast, they cities are mentioned in the Periplus of the Erythrean Sea) could be a another minor civ, i suggested to add Rhapta in the thread for the new south Africa map.

Haven't seen that, I'll check it out.

The healer would be a shaman or witch doctor for you unknowing types and most of the old gods and goddesses where fertility types with the shape sifters thrown in for regional flavour and warrior gods several trickster as well lots of old greole(bards) stories to listen to if you can find one willing to talk.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

as well lots of old greole(bards) stories to listen to if you can find one willing to talk

I was thinking about adding a griot unit to the Malian civ that I'm recreating for my mod, but I'm not sure what stats/role I should give him. He would definitely be a support unit, but not a healer, I already have a marabout unit for that. Maybe he should have a combat aura that boosts the fighting abilities of the troops, or something like that.

Non-healer support units would also be a possibility for other civs, if not for the core game, then maybe for mods. For example, Athenians could have a philosopher unit, or perhaps even a poet unit. Although now that I think about it, I'm not sure if either would work.

Edited by m7600
Spelling
33 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

In 0 AD we haven't  Civs we have factions

What are you talking about? Both terms are used. There's a folder in public/simulation/data that literally says "civs", not factions.
civs.thumb.png.f45950a0c1457e9deab0ab2fea92c026.png

And if you open any of the .xml files in the templates folder, either units or structures, you can see that the corresponding XML tags are <Civ> and </Civ>, not <Faction> and </Faction>
civ2.thumb.png.c2a3b348bcea8d2a6e9f551ed98f97c0.png

In Spanish: León, ambos términos se utilizan asiduamente. Las capturas de pantalla anteriores lo demuestran de manera contundente. La carpeta a la que aludía se llama "civs", no "factions". Y todos los archivos .xml de la carpeta de "templates", ya sean estructuras o unidades, usan tags de XML que se llaman <Civ> y </Civ>, no <Faction> y </Faction>. Con esto quiero insistir en el hecho de que ambos términos se utilizan frecuentemente, así sea solamente para cuestiones de configuración.

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

What are you talking about? Both terms are used. There's a folder in public/simulation/data that literally says "civs", not factions.
civs.thumb.png.f45950a0c1457e9deab0ab2fea92c026.png

And if you open any of the .xml files in the templates folder, either units or structures, you can see that the corresponding XML tags are <Civ> and </Civ>, not <Faction> and </Faction>
civ2.thumb.png.c2a3b348bcea8d2a6e9f551ed98f97c0.png

In Spanish: León, ambos términos se utilizan asiduamente. Las capturas de pantalla anteriores lo demuestran de manera contundente. La carpeta a la que aludía se llama "civs", no "factions". Y todos los archivos .xml de la carpeta de "templates", ya sean estructuras o unidades, usan tags de XML que se llaman <Civ> y </Civ>, no <Faction> y </Faction>. Con esto quiero insistir en el hecho de que ambos términos se utilizan frecuentemente, así sea solamente para cuestiones de configuración.

You know the definition of a civ?

Faction: a small organized dissenting group within a larger one, especially in politics.
"the left-wing faction of the party"

Civilization.

• the process by which a society or place reaches an advanced stage of social and cultural development and organization.
  • the society, culture, and way of life of a particular area.
    plural noun: civilizations

Then explinationnof your folder capture is quite simple. Theoriginal game have civs current don't. In A6 we had Hellenes as single civ, we had Celts as another civ.

Sucesors are factions for examples arent civs.

Sparta and Athens aren't diferent civilizations.

The game was planned for civilizations since 2004, but since then it has changed a lot, I know you are new and you ignore many things here.

Unlike AoE we divide the game by factions, instead of having one culture we divide them into periods like Persia Achaemenid and Sassanid AoE on the other hand is the same.

For them Rome is the same from kingdom to fall.
They only separated Palmyra. We have no Indians, we have no Mauryas, we have no Macedon as a single entity. I can keep giving you examples until I get tired.

In fact it was not me who invented the term but if I thought of the mini factiones, or the first. 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
18 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

You know the definition of a civ?

I do. 

Then explinationnof your folder capture is quite simple. Theoriginal game have civs current don't. In A6 we had Hellenes as single civ, we had Celts as another civ.

The current game doesn't have civs? My screenshots are from Alpha 23. Againt I must ask: what are you talking about, and what exactly are you trying to argue here? Do you need more proof that both terms, civ and faction, are used interchangeably up until this day, not only in the game, but also on these forums? Must I direct you to the many thread topics that begin with "civ:", such as "civ: Germans (Suebians and Goths)"?

Sparta and Athens aren't diferent civilizations.

No one would argue that they are. What they would argue is that they are called "civs" within the context of this game, such as when you write <Civ>athen</Civ>

In any case, if you really want the game to use the term "faction" but not civ, then propose it for a future patch, or version, of the main game. But honestly, I don't think that you will convince the dozens, if not hundreds of people, that use both terms interchangeably. 

I'm not even asking for you to recognize your mistake here. All I'm saying is that, if you are trying to make a point, it's not entirely clear what it is, exactly.

And feel free to write in Spanish if you prefer. I understand that language.

Edited by m7600
Grammar
21 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The game was planned for civilizations since 2004, but since then it has changed a lot, I know you are new and you ignore many things here.

Excuse me? Did you just call me ignorant? I believe that in my short time here I've shown a reasonable understanding of the game. The mod that I'm working on proves it. Sounds to me like you might be projecting.

I have shown that I understand how to make 3d models, how to texture them, and how to place them in game. I have almost completed an entire faction in less that 2 weeks. That does not sound like ignorance to me. Can you say the same?

5 minutes ago, m7600 said:

The current game doesn't have civs? My screenshots are from Alpha 23. Againt I must ask: what are you talking about, and what exactly are you trying to argue here? Do you need more proof that both terms, civ and faction, are used interchangeably up until this day, not only in the game, but also on these forums? Must I direct you to the many thread topics that begin with "civ:", such as "civ: Germans (Suebians and Goths)"?

We never change that , that I'm talking about.

Civs are were we start making factions. Simply.

Examples.

image.thumb.png.af78600c75db0796adaf2b2834af3d7f.png

image.thumb.png.1872bc3e814999f6c1a02fd95c00c4bb.png

image.thumb.png.fd82322685d44cbd89a3caa6c5b5444c.png

image.thumb.png.d43c500c050f7ef68160d2a1d172bace.png

image.thumb.png.5449e9d35840dc7f553b114822b3a1a0.png

image.thumb.png.e0b17057d14ba2a86c12a2bbfee438c1.png

image.thumb.png.db3cc33a03ec03e51c1b1a4f3b229a7c.png

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

We never change that , that I'm talking about.

Civs are were we start making factions. Simply.

Oh ok, let me just change the name of my folders then, as well as the <civ> </civ> tags on my XML files. Hey, what do you know, the game isn't working anymore! Should I post a bug report, @Lion.Kanzen? Oh no wait, that's right, those names are actually hardcoded in the engine. Would you mind changing the C++ source code of the engine so that I can rename my folder to "faction" instead of civ?

2 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

No, that your own assumptions. Ok i dont want any problem with you. Isn't important at all.

That's fine, I don't want any problem with anybody either! I don't even know what we're arguing about here. We even hijacked this poor guy's thread and turned it into a flame war. Anyways, I'll just leave it at that. Peace.

This is simple, when you are new, you don't know many details about the game.

When I asked this same question from my own ignorance, (I wasn't born knowing everything).

Kindly Mythos_ruler (or was Feneur) answered that it was factions. I guess you must know who he is.

Is only a little term that we use. Nothing personal. Im even sure why you are mad with me. My ignorance i guess.

Alright, this is the last comment that I'll make, because I really don't appreciate being called ignorant when I've given proof that that's not the case.

12 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

This is simple, when you are new, you don't know many details about the game.

Have you seen this thread? I think I know those details to a reasonable degree. Since you seem to believe that there's a correlation between the time spent of the forums and knowledge of the game, then I expect you to be an expert at 3d modeling, texturing, and computer programming. Are you?

12 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Nothing personal. Im even sure why you are mad with me. My ignorance i guess.

I'm not mad, I'm baffled. Of all the hills you could have chosen to die on, you sure picked the weirdest one. That's the part that I still don't get.

Anyways, feel free to send me a private message if you want to continue this, so that we don't hijack this guy's thread anymore. I'm done here.

Edited by m7600
Grammar
11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's true that "civ" or "civilization" (Greeks) is a broader term than faction (Athenians). But we tend to use them interchangeably here. :) 

Yes , the game is some kind of little Total war mix with huge of AoE formula.

Thats why TW uses term faction. And some point around 2012 we started use faction to split civilizations.

Hi guys,

I just arrived and started playing, so my opinion might not matter that much, but regarding Voodoo/Hoodoo, it would be a complete anachronism. Voodoo rituals are a particular syncretism of African religions and Christian faith, and its development is rather recent (certainly not from the time period used IG anyway). I'm not saying an African civilisation would be a bad idea, just wanted to express my concerns about the name some people wanted to use.

*flies away*

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Tinour said:

I just arrived and started playing, so my opinion might not matter that much, but regarding Voodoo/Hoodoo, it would be a complete anachronism. Voodoo rituals are a particular syncretism of African religions and Christian faith, and its development is rather recent (certainly not from the time period used IG anyway).

Correct, the original traditional African religion from Benin, Togo, Nigeria and Ghana would be called Vodun and is quite different from New World Voodoo, although the latter definitely takes inspiration from the former, Voodoo also takes inspiration from Christianity, as stated by Tinour (Welcome to the forum, by the way). 

Dacians will be great. Burebista , Deceneu and Decebalus as heros. Gold production bonus , fearless warriors and the god Zalmoxis must be there. Hope there is place for dacians in new release, i will be very happy.

1 hour ago, Omiris said:

Dacians will be great. Burebista , Deceneu and Decebalus as heros. Gold production bonus , fearless warriors and the god Zalmoxis must be there. Hope there is place for dacians in new release, i will be very happy.

Current planned.

• Like 1