Ideas for New Civilizations [Core Game]

Intellect

Hey guys, specifically @Lion.Kanzen and @Stan`,

I was wondering what you think about two new civilization ideas: Voodoo (Ancient African) and Ancient Norse? If this is something you'd consider for the core game, I can send a sketch to you of what I have in mind, and we can bounce it around in the community to get better ideas.

Also, I am curious as to why the Terra Magna update did not get added to the core game? What's missing that needs to be added for the Zapotecs and Xiongu?

Finally, can someone help me get started on creating unit 3D structures? Would really appreciate that.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Intellect said:

I was wondering what you think about two new civilization ideas: Voodoo (Ancient African) and Ancient Norse? If this is something you'd consider for the core game, I can send a sketch to you of what I have in mind, and we can bounce it around in the community to get better ideas.

Any civiilization idea can be done as a mod. In order for it to be added to the game though you'd have to have pretty solid historical backup :)

Also, I am curious as to why the Terra Magna update did not get added to the core game? What's missing that needs to be added for the Zapotecs and Xiongu?

There are a lot of reasons, you can find much of them scattered on the forums. There is still quite a few open issues on the repositories.

Finally, can someone help me get started on creating unit 3D structures? Would really appreciate that.

Unit or structures? For units you can see my answer in the other thread.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paruru Slowlegs said:

Another celtic-like clone, but with germanic names? Please, no... 0 A.D. already have 5 types of Athenians.

Nah, Dude. Norse are different. They are more combat based. We remove territory restrictions and have them build barracks outside the lines

8 minutes ago, Intellect said:

Norse are different.

I think, If you want to try promote "#addingnorseincore!", you probably should find enough germanic artifacts to designers from 5 B.C. to 5 A.D. (That is why we would not see slavs (to late) or veneti (to poor data) in-game.)

Edited by Paruru Slowlegs

21 minutes ago, Intellect said:

Nah, Dude. Norse are different. They are more combat based. We remove territory restrictions and have them build barracks outside the lines

I like the current territory mechanics, but I also like the idea to have a single faction outside of this mechanics. I could thought a nomadic faction, which doesn't have territory. So they could build there buildings everywhere outside of other player territory. The malus would be, that conquered buldings will have no territory too. They will be also forced, to have person constantly stay in all buldings (a higher population limit, or cheaper units could be a possibility, to balance this). Another advantage would be, the possibilty for them, to package and rebuild there buildings. I think such faction, which is totaly different to other factions, could be realy interesting.

1 minute ago, OptimusShepard said:

I like the current territory mechanics, but I also like the idea to have a single faction outside of this mechanics. I could thought a nomadic faction, which doesn't have territory. So they could build there buildings everywhere outside of other player territory. The malus would be, that conquered buldings will have no territory too. They will be also forced, to have person constantly stay in all buldings (a higher population limit, or cheaper units could be a possibility, to balance this). Another advantage would be, the possibilty for them, to package and rebuild there buildings. I think such faction, which is totaly different to other factions, could be realy interesting.

Totally, Of course balancing would be a consideration but it would be cool.

24 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

like the current territory mechanics, but I also like the idea to have a single faction outside of this mechanics. I could thought a nomadic faction, which doesn't have territory. So they could build there buildings everywhere outside of other player territory. The malus would be, that conquered buldings will have no territory too. They will be also forced, to have person constantly stay in all buldings (a higher population limit, or cheaper units could be a possibility, to balance this). Another advantage would be, the possibilty for them, to package and rebuild there buildings. I think such faction, which is totaly different to other factions, could be realy interesting.

Did you ever play the Xiongnu?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Paruru Slowlegs said:

I think, If you want to try promote "#addingnorseincore!", you probably should find enough germanic artifacts to designers from 5 B.C. to 5 A.D. (That is why we would not see slavs (to late) or veneti (to poor data) in-game.)

Cimbrians might be possible in the future, but not really Norse (They were a Celto-Germanic tribe from Jutland); and most reference would have to be drawn from Celts or later Germanics.

Iron age Scandinavia before the Vikings does not have much material and was quite isolated.

If he wants a African civ, he might be interested in the Kushites who are already in game.

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, m7600 said:

To be honest, "Voodoo" doesn't sound right for an Ancient African civ. This is because Voodoo is a religion, not a group of people. In fact, there is no single version of Voodoo, there are many of them, practiced by different peoples. It would be the same as if you made a European civ and you called them "Pagans". There were many different pagan groups and they were all different. For example, Ancient Romans and Gauls would both qualify as pagans, but they were completely different from each other. If you want more African civs in the core game, then a much better candidate would be Garamantes, or Numidians. If you search through the forums, you will find more info on them.

Voodoo originated in West Africa, an area who we know very little about in the time of 0 a.d.

Alongside with Garamantes or Numidians,  you could also  have proto-Aksumites (Kingdom of D'mt).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

But would you still call the civ "Voodoo"? I understand your point, but look at it this way: we don't know much about the Ancient Picts either, but we wouldn't call them "Pagans", we simply call them "Picts", even if they didn't call themselves this.

My point was not that the civ should be called Voodoo,  just that a civ from that area would be hard to implement due to lack of material before the middle ages.

The  Nok culture is the most well known one, could be a mini civ in the future (Perhaps a African map with some neutral Nok settlements and mercenaries).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

@Ultimate Aurelian Either way, it would be necessary to ground them in a particular, historical faction.

Yes of course, Voodoo is not really tied to the Nok culture.

Azanians (Early inhabitants of the Swahili coast, they cities are mentioned in the Periplus of the Erythrean Sea) could be another minor civ, i suggested to add Rhapta in the thread for the new south Africa map.

The healer would be a shaman or witch doctor for you unknowing types and most of the old gods and goddesses where fertility types with the shape sifters thrown in for regional flavour and warrior gods several trickster as well lots of old greole(bards) stories to listen to if you can find one willing to talk.

Enjoy the Choice :)

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

What are you talking about? Both terms are used. There's a folder in public/simulation/data that literally says "civs", not factions.
civs.thumb.png.f45950a0c1457e9deab0ab2fea92c026.png

And if you open any of the .xml files in the templates folder, either units or structures, you can see that the corresponding XML tags are <Civ> and </Civ>, not <Faction> and </Faction>
civ2.thumb.png.c2a3b348bcea8d2a6e9f551ed98f97c0.png

In Spanish: León, ambos términos se utilizan asiduamente. Las capturas de pantalla anteriores lo demuestran de manera contundente. La carpeta a la que aludía se llama "civs", no "factions". Y todos los archivos .xml de la carpeta de "templates", ya sean estructuras o unidades, usan tags de XML que se llaman <Civ> y </Civ>, no <Faction> y </Faction>. Con esto quiero insistir en el hecho de que ambos términos se utilizan frecuentemente, así sea solamente para cuestiones de configuración.

You know the definition of a civ?

Faction: a small organized dissenting group within a larger one, especially in politics.
"the left-wing faction of the party"

Civilization.

• the process by which a society or place reaches an advanced stage of social and cultural development and organization.
  • the society, culture, and way of life of a particular area.
    plural noun: civilizations

Then explinationnof your folder capture is quite simple. Theoriginal game have civs current don't. In A6 we had Hellenes as single civ, we had Celts as another civ.

Sucesors are factions for examples arent civs.

Sparta and Athens aren't diferent civilizations.

The game was planned for civilizations since 2004, but since then it has changed a lot, I know you are new and you ignore many things here.

Unlike AoE we divide the game by factions, instead of having one culture we divide them into periods like Persia Achaemenid and Sassanid AoE on the other hand is the same.

For them Rome is the same from kingdom to fall.
They only separated Palmyra. We have no Indians, we have no Mauryas, we have no Macedon as a single entity. I can keep giving you examples until I get tired.

In fact it was not me who invented the term but if I thought of the mini factiones, or the first. 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen