[request]: longer palisades

Nescio

41 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Yes. 6, 12, 18 (Blender: 3, 6, 9 m) are the short, medium, long palisade lengths I want, i.e. about a third longer than the current sizes (4.5, 9, 13.5). @wowgetoffyourcellphone requested the sizes 12, 24, 36 (Blender: 6, 12, 18 m) earlier, i.e. the short segment would then be nearly the same length as the current long segment. And 30 (Blender: 15 m) as an extra, to maintain regular intervals.

The curved and straight palisades ought to get the same length as the long palisade, i.e. 3 art tiles = 6 m in Blender = 12 in simulation templates. The palisade gate should be expanded to that same length. The other palisade files can remain unchanged.

I think this is what you're asking for right? And btw isn't the straight the same as the rest of the palisades but the lenght? And the curve should maintain the same angle direction right? Like only with more sticks. The rectangles are the goal sizes.

From left to right Gate, Curve, Short, Medium, Long, Straight.

1056622385_Capturadepantalla(324).thumb.png.442cf7cafa51bd3b96c7fa5c17cb5379.png

4 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

From left to right Gate, Curve, Short, Medium, Long, Straight.

Those grey rectangles look like they 36 Blender squares? So that would be 18 art tiles i.e. 72 in the simulation templates? Or are Blender m the same as template values after all? @Stan`?

5 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

And btw isn't the straight the same as the rest of the palisades but the lenght?

Don't ask me why the palisade*straight exists. The current version appears to be simply the long segment rotated by 90°. The palisade*curve isn't buildable in game, but it exists, so I suppose it must be resized.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

One would have to update the maps accordingly. But we could also phase out the straight palissade.

`grep -ir palisades_straight` in the maps folder shows they're used only in the following maps:

skirmishes/Gallic Fields (3).xml
skirmishes/Corinthian Isthmus (4).xml
skirmishes/Alpine_Mountains_(3).xml
scenarios/Sandbox - Gauls.xml
scenarios/Sandbox - Britons.xml

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether it's more work to maintain or delete them.

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

The palisade gate should be expanded to that same length.

I don't know how to multi quote, but there is another post by @wowgetoffyourcellphone saying more less the same thing as @Nescio. I'm not sure which is the preferred option so I did both so you can choose. @Stan` is this ok?

Haven't done the armature yet in case it's wrong.

Should I make the pivot spot a little bigger so it looks less fragile?

imagen.thumb.png.d365d509da97a54789951880987c28f7.png

Edited by Pablinski2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

I don't know how to multi quote, but there is another post by @wowgetoffyourcellphone saying more less the same thing as @Nescio.I'm not sure which is the preferred option so I did both so you can choose.

The one at the back is wrong. With “palisade*gate” I meant the entire actor; the doors themselves should remain unchanged.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Note: The gate doors themselves don't need to go the entire length of the long palisade. It can have 2 stationary "wings".

Yes:

On 5/5/2020 at 9:34 AM, Nescio said:

palisade*gate is supposed to have the same length as palisade*long, because you can upgrade the latter to the former; widening the doors is not a good idea, so you'll have to put something on either side.

For comparison:

siege_gate.png.460001d455ea872638c6c4ec0769adb7.png

The entire brown compound is the siege_wall_gate, which is equal in length to the siege_wall_long (in red).

Looking at globalscripts/Tenplates.js and simulation/components/WallSet.js, it seems that unlike the other elements, <WallCurves> is a list, i.e. a wallset could have multiple curved segments, so maybe we should have instead:

palisade_curved_long
palisade_curved_medium
palisade_curved_short

I don't know. Maybe postpone making a decision, and keep the current palisade*curve unchanged for now.

As for Blender units, I'm genuinely confused. Perhaps you could import romans/siege_wall_long into your palisades Blender file for reference? That one has a length of 36 in the simulation templates, i.e. 9 art tiles.

Curved palisades can be done later, after the normal palisades are correctly lengthened. I was thinking about the following:

Spoiler

curved_palisades.png.a2ee42debf15080a2398e0448ac12677.png

From top to bottom: long, medium, short curved palisades, and long, medium, short straight palisades.

Four equal curved segments form a full circle, four equal straight segments form a square.

Anyway, I'm eager to try out your lengthened palisades in game. @Stan`, could you help @Pablinski2 make a mod for that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Yeah its good :).

wanna try making a mod?

If you say content that people may decide wether to add or not to their game yeah, why not. I'm actually making long medium and short curve palisades, headaching for me to find a way to resize the curves without changing the angle but I've just found one and it's been approved by my brother who's a mathematician, I hope that's fine hehe. :D

Since the original curve palisade is not a perfect curve I had to make some approximations, so those would be the matching long and medium palisades but adding the original curve of the curve palisade. @Stan` @Nescio

Something any of you see that I'm missing or do I start building the palisades?

May I make the short palisade curve a perfect curve too? At least the footprint?

Captura de pantalla (328).png

Edited by Pablinski2

8 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

Since the original curve palisade is not a perfect curve I had to make some approximations, so those would be the matching long and medium palisades but adding the original curve of the curve palisade. @Stan` @Nescio

Something any of you see that I'm missing or do I start building the palisades?

That's looking promising!

8 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

May I make the short palisade curve a perfect curve too? At least the footprint?

If it's not too much trouble, yes please!

13 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

If you say content that people may decide wether to add or not to their game yeah, why not.

The purpose of bundling things as a mod is that people can try it out in game and spot mistakes before it's committed to the main repository.

Edited by Nescio
mod
  • Thanks 1

@Pablinski2 Did you try with the curve modifier? Using a circle and the curve modifier one can do some pretty fancy things.

15 minutes ago, Pablinski2 said:

if you say content that people may decide wether to add or not to their game yeah, why not. I'm actually making long medium and short curve palisades, headaching for me to find a way to resize the curves without changing the angle but I've just found one and it's been approved by my brother who's a mathematician, I hope that's fine hehe.

Mods are actually a very convenient way for people to test things.

Here is a mod template. You need to extract it either in binaries/data/mods or documents/my games/0ad/mods. it should look like this

binaries/data/mods or documents/my games/0ad/mods/pablinksismod
- mod.json
- art

Try to get comfortable with how it works. experiment with the xml file (you can use notepad to open them) Ask any question you have. You need to enable it using the mod selection. Don't forget to click save. Then you can see the files in the scenario editor. :)

pablinskis_mod.zip

54 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Did you try the curve modifier?

Not yet, but I'm fine at the moment, next time I'll make sure I use it :D

54 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Yeah don't the world mod fool you. There are only gonna be the palissades

Perfect :D

I'll  check that out when I finish resizing :DD

Edited by Pablinski2
Spelling

Not a separate blend file but a separate DAE (Collada) file. For naming you can ignore it during the test phase I'm sure Nescio is gonna give you great names for the commit phase.

Now the important phase is to see how they look in the game and more importantly to get you familiar with how to test that :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

Not a separate blend file but a separate DAE (Collada) file. For naming you can ignore it during the test phase I'm sure Nescio is gonna give you great names for the commit phase.

Now the important phase is to see how they look in the game and more importantly to get you familiar with how to test that :)

This is what you mean right? I've got no idea on how to test anything xddd, I'm going to check the mod template you gave me and see if I can figure something out :D

Captura de pantalla (335).png