Delenda Est: BALANCE

This is for Delenda Est players. You must use the SVN development version of 0 A.D. and the GitHub version of the Delenda Est mod. The Alpha 23 version is extremely out of date. 

This thread is for general unit/structure balance and fixing OP strats. It's not a thread for proposing "4.27 pierce attack." That kind of thing comes in beta. However, if a civ's roster pushes them into unbalanced territory or if a feature needs tweaked for gameplay, post about it here. :) 

What I have from a23 version and i think still applies to last update :

- Fields too weak, they can be destroyed almost immediately on a raid (much more efficient than targetting workers)
- Elephants too strong I think. I would suggest train time nerf. I don't know how it develops with the new coin ressource but i think it doesn't change much.
- About women and house fertility tech : I think the house tech to train women is too strong, either to grow eco or even to possibly use women to fight. Women are cheap and have decent stats. Spartan women might also have a bonus for them i don't remember
- From years ago memories but I think still applies : Catapults too strong against human (even in vanilla where human units have high crush armor, catapults are still effective). I have memories of catapults melting melee cav
- From last version but I think is fixed now : ranking up gave too much range increase, but after i checked Imperial romans skirmisher stats it looked fixed. I still leave this comment just in case.

I don't have anything for things like balance between civs since it hasn't really been tested (yet)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

- Fields too weak, they can be destroyed almost immediately on a raid (much more efficient than targetting workers)

I'll look into this one. I will say though that there is a tech ("Water Screws") that improves Field health +500%. Perhaps I can beef up default Field health and reduce the Water Screws effect.

5 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

- Elephants too strong I think. I would suggest train time nerf. I don't know how it develops with the new coin ressource but i think it doesn't change much.

The Coin resource is pretty limiting for champions and elephants. It's kind of like a soft limit, so I can't wait to see if you like it or would prefer something else like a train time nerf as you suggest.

7 hours ago, Feldfeld said:

- About women and house fertility tech : I think the house tech to train women is too strong, either to grow eco or even to possibly use women to fight. Women are cheap and have decent stats. Spartan women might also have a bonus for them i don't remember

Besides the Spartans, the civs no longer have female citizens, they have "Citizen" units of both genders, but your point still stands. Perhaps a train time nerf from 60 seconds to 100 seconds, or just remove the feature altogether? 

- From years ago memories but I think still applies : Catapults too strong against human (even in vanilla where human units have high crush armor, catapults are still effective). I have memories of catapults melting melee cav

In Alpha 24 DE, catapults are supremely inaccurate, so that although they have high damage attack, it's only effective on large stationary items like buildings. Spread is 25.0 meters. I think this solves your problem.

- From last version but I think is fixed now : ranking up gave too much range increase, but after i checked Imperial romans skirmisher stats it looked fixed. I still leave this comment just in case.

Some more playtesting may be in order to determine whether it's OP or not, but each rank promotion adds 20% range to ranged units. Basic range for DE ranged units is much lower than in EA as well. As an example:

EA's archers have a default 72 meter range
DE's archers have a default 40 meter range

A similar difference can be found for all other ranges.

I don't have anything for things like balance between civs since it hasn't really been tested (yet)

I really look forward to getting your opinion on things. I'll try to (swiftly) address anything you find or answer any questions you may have.

13 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

'll look into this one. I will say though that there is a tech ("Water Screws") that improves Field health +500%. Perhaps I can beef up default Field health and reduce the Water Screws effect.

Yeah, I think it would be good. This tech comes in age 3 but even if it could be made sooner I think it's too easy to raid fields.

The Coin resource is pretty limiting for champions and elephants. It's kind of like a soft limit, so I can't wait to see if you like it or would prefer something else like a train time nerf as you suggest.

I guess we can wait for the nerf, at least the time to see if a strategy made around early elephants (like saving coins only for slaves and then making elephants army) could be too effective

Besides the Spartans, the civs no longer have female citizens, they have "Citizen" units of both genders, but your point still stands. Perhaps a train time nerf from 60 seconds to 100 seconds, or just remove the feature altogether?

If it was up to me i think i would prefer to remove the tech (also because i don't like how the gameplay feels with the tech), but with the new differences introduced by the nomadic factions I guess we could keep that tech at least waiting to see how standard and nomadic civilizations fare against each others. Other nerfs possible are to move the tech to later phase requirement or making the citizen train time lower in houses.

In Alpha 24 DE, catapults are supremely inaccurate, so that although they have high damage attack, it's only effective on large stationary items like buildings. Spread is 25.0 meters. I think this solves your problem.

Alright then

Some more playtesting may be in order to determine whether it's OP or not, but each rank promotion adds 20% range to ranged units. Basic range for DE ranged units is much lower than in EA as well. As an example:

EA's archers have a default 72 meter range
DE's archers have a default 40 meter range

A similar difference can be found for all other ranges.

Well, perhaps then the range bonus isn't the cause but the consequence of the problem where you can get attacked outside your vision range and not really know the situation (in AoE games a unit attacking from outside vision range is revealed). I have vague memories of the range being problematic but maybe i'll wait for more tests before making my mind

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:04 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This is for Delenda Est players. You must use the SVN development version of 0 A.D. and the GitHub version of the Delenda Est mod. The Alpha 23 version is extremely out of date. 

This thread is for general unit/structure balance and fixing OP strats. It's not a thread for proposing "4.27 pierce attack." That kind of thing comes in beta. However, if a civ's roster pushes them into unbalanced territory or if a feature needs tweaked for gameplay, post about it here. :) 

Hi,

It's been some time since I last played 0ad. I would love to try it again, and also see the improvements in DE.

But I need some help. If someone could guide me on, how to compile and install the svn development version of AD and GitHub version of DE. Or point me in the right direction, if this is described somewhere.

Thanks

2 hours ago, drsingh said:

Hi,

It's been some time since I last played 0ad. I would love to try it again, and also see the improvements in DE.

But I need some help. If someone could guide me on, how to compile and install the svn development version of AD and GitHub version of DE. Or point me in the right direction, if this is described somewhere.

Thanks

Hi,

Download 0ad Windows

On Linux (Ubuntu and derivatives) just follow the instructions: https://play0ad.com/download/linux/ --(Development version).

To download Delenda Est go to https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/delenda_est and on the green "code" button choose the option to download .zip.

• Thanks 1