What Makes Gaming So Fun?

Honestly Widukind :)

1. I post replys when I first log on, and topics later.

2. That's my job, would you be happier if I posted them at 30 second intervals?

3. Why would you come back if I posted only one boring article?

4. Coming up with several threads to keep you interested is not exactly easy.

5. I do want to know the general age groups of people here, I do want to know why you think computer games are fun, and I do truly want to know how many computer games are fun.

6. Posting 3 at once gives me a chance to eat you alive. he he

Hmm, what makes games so much fun ? Well, I started on computer games back in the mid-90's, because I liked the option to build up an empire (one of my favourite game was Settlers until I got into the Age series). So I guess the thing that pulls people into gaming is that they can realize their ideas or visions there, even if they aren't possible in real life :)

Yeah, Settlers was my first *real* computer game as well, really loved it. I think, speaking now especially about RTS, it's the ability to dive into the history of mankind, re-fight epic battles that had particular effect on our today's stage.

However, when you look at Diablo II and other RPG's it's simply the fun of watching your hero/yourself gettign stronger and stronger from each minute you play. It's human's nature to always be the best. That's why games like Diablo are so addictive.

Yeah, Settlers was my first *real* computer game as well, really loved it. I think, speaking now especially about RTS, it's the ability to dive into the history of mankind, re-fight epic battles that had particular effect on our today's stage.

Great summary. That's exactly what I like about RTS games (the only genre I really use to play).

My gaming history isn't that long, but if I played a game, I mostly played it for a very long time. I started back in 1992 or 1993 with a game called "Das Erbe" (German, don't know the English word - Tim ?), which was released only in Germany and was about repairing and old house while using only nature-friendly materials. I played this game together with some friends some years, and somewhere in 1996 or 1997 we made it to win the game (notice, we were children of 8 or 9 then). Then I had other things in mind for some years, but got back to gaming in winter 1998, this time with Settlers 2. At that time, I also got my second PC (from ~ 1996 till 1998, I had an 386 with 16 MHz). While I enjoyed Settlers 2 on the weekends, I played the Win 3.1 games on my own PC until I couldn't see them any more.

Then, a big event took place, an event that should influence my further life in a great way: I somehow got the demo version of a game called "Age of Empires". After some games, I really loved that game and bought it. Because it didn't run on my PC, I then started to gather money for my first self-payed PC and bought a used P II with 300 MHz in 1999. While AoE started to get more and more fun for me, I had the first contact with the internet, because our school had an "open house" day and I got into the computers room, where we had a 28k modem then. I searched the Internet for AoE websites and really found some. After that, I checked these AoE sites when I found time and a place with internet connection (only every 3 months or such). In early 2000, we got internet to our house (I had been successfully lamenting until my parents bought a modem). Wow, that was a feeling... surfing with 56k and having an own email adress (btw, that's the one I still have - Malte_Schwarzkopf@web.de). Not much later, I got AoE II. That game again fascinated me and I played it for hours. I also started some low-level scenario design there but never published a map. Well, to shorten the story: I got AoE II TC when it was just released, played it, searched for AoE 2 websites, found AoKH, found the mod section, found Rome at War there, was interested in the team which did that mod, visited the WFG forums, was impressed and started to visit these forums on a regular basis.

Then, first signs of an upcoming news game by ES came. AoM looked quite cool to me and I followed it from the early screens till now - being a forumer on AoMH since christmas 2001. I also was one of the first forums of the best german AoM website (AoMN.de, the site where I'm now second administrator). While I was awaiting the AoM release, I did some AoK Modding and produced some nice Barbarian buildings with a little team which unfortunately broke up because there were not enough people to continue the mod.

AoM was released and I bought it the first day it was in stores, playing it for nearly a year now. Because my PC couldn't run AoM, I had bought a new PC in summer 2002 (all from my own money, it was quite a funny system compared to what I have now... P4 1.6 GHz with 128 MB RAM and 32 MB graphics card). At the very start of AoM, I founded a German scenario design team (then still called AoMD), because I got impressions of the major English teams like ScnPunk, DGDN or TS. We worked out some storys, then changed the name to "MWD" and released some maps. Meanwhile, my interest in WFG had continued to grow and back in early 2003, I mailed Wijit because of a sudden idea and asked if I could help the team in some way. Some weeks later, I was a member of Wildfire Games - what I had never dreamt to be. Still I was active in the AoM community and got moderator at AoMN.de in this summer, after having been forumer there for a long time. But due to some happenings, some staff members quit there and just a month ago, I got appointed second administrator and got the task to test the marketing beta of "The Titans".

Well - now we reached the present. I don't know about the future, but I guess there's nothing I could still try to reach: Being administrator on a large community website and being member of the greatest game design team on the world, the only thing - but that would be utopial of course - would be a job at ES :).

..."open house" day...

Lol ;) You mean "Tag der offenen Tür" right ? :P

Well, I got my first computer (computer of my dad) in 1993 I believe, a 386 with 16Mhz. I have been playing on the Atatri sometimes already, but I quickly discovered the Commander Keen series for the PC, which I played for 3 years. Then my dad got a Pentium II, 233Mhz somewhere around 1998 (or 1999 ? I forget) and used my freetime to play the FIFA series (in fact, I have all of them, from '96-'2003) and other sports games such as NHL. I moved to another school (manadatory in Germany when switchign from 6th to 7th form) and got new friends. Some day I was over at theh ouse of one of them and he played AoK there. That started my interest. I played it to a high skills level - until I could fight 3 computers on Hardest easily. Then I imagined that there might be a dozen other players who don't like the AI anymore and therefore I seeked a way to build my own AI (I had no programmign experience by then). Having found AoKH I signed up for the forums, compiled a list of everythign I needed, printed certain documenets, learned all AI functions by hard and made some basic AI in about 2 months. I perfected it and after 3 years of development and 5 major versions it has won several tournaments, is able to play any settings and wins 1 v 4 computers on hard easily.

The praise I got for my AI made me think about launching a website for it. There was so much feedback, my mailbox just couldn't stand it. I learned HTML and made my website. Making the website really fascinated me and I spent a lot of time with that. Then I got hosted by DGDN and that's where the real fun started. I did some minor jobs at their website and after some weeks I got hired webmaster for DGDN. Having bought a PHP book I learned PHP and SQL and some javascript and redid the entire DGDN site (fully dynamical). Then I worked on my AI further and had not much to do as webmaster. Klaas told me the url to some great website and I arrived there. To get me out of boredom I read a ton of articles at that site about community development, webmaster articles, tutorials, tips and god knows what not. I studied almost 700 articles me thinks. When I was not working on my AI I was studying Web-/Community-Development.

Internal struggles occurred in DGDN and that's when people noticed I didn't like being the webmaster of DGDN anymore. I got 5 offers within a week (among which are very successful and large companies/sites) and I accepted WFG (Jason just impressed me too much).

That's where I am now. :)

My gaming carrer started in 1991 - Bag Man. The first real computer game was Caeser II - 1997, and my favourite came a year later with Lords of the Realm II - still my favorite, I got rid of it a few months ago though *in anguish*. I find gaming fun for just about all the reasons that have already been mentioned, but my favorite, seeing war, in any age, right in front of me...beautiful.