===[TASK]=== Gaul Wonder

AgamemnonPhlemnon

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Nice. We have the same generation, yours just slightly better. It's obviously my graphics card settings then. I have AA and AF turned on.

I turned everything on, maxed out :/ Do you have another program running that could do stuff like that like Reshade?

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I turned everything on, maxed out :/ Do you have another program running that could do stuff like that like Reshade?

I adjust the settings on a per program basis. The NVIDIA control panel has this option. Make sure you are adjusting the right program.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

The thing outside (magenta) still looks like a cult statue, whereas something inside (cyan) resembles a tropaion.

So?

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

Also, what's the brightly coloured stuff cooking inside the pot (yellow)?

Dunno could change color I guess.

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

So?

The article @Genava55 linked earlier suggests there was a tropaion standing against the outer wall.

Cult statues belong inside the cella/naos/shrine (except when carried around in a procession). Speaking of which, do we know to which god(s) this sanctuary was dedicated?

57 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Cult statues belong inside the cella/naos/shrine (except when carried around in a procession).

With the Celts it is a bit more complicated. For example the two statues found in Switzerland, at Yverdon-les-Bains and Genève (Geneva) has been found outdoor. The former outside the rampart, the latter close to the lake shore.

There were probably statues in sanctuaries, but we know there were statues outside as well. Because of a particular feature (see following).

57 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Speaking of which, do we know to which god(s) this sanctuary was dedicated?

Not at all. It is further complicated because the ancestor cult at this time is much more active in Celtic and Germanic societies than it is in Roman and Greek ones.

In addition, we call it sanctuary but it is actually closer to the Greek concept of temenos, which could have various function.

We do not know if this building and area were dedicated to one or several gods or to an ancestor or if the religious function was kinda secondary.

54 minutes ago, Stan` said:

If I switch their position it's fine?

Isn't this wooden statue already planned for the Gallic temple? Simply asking.

About the wonder, if you switch, I am fine with that.

Edited by Genava55

7 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Isn't this wooden statue already planned for the Gallic temple? Simply asking.

Might be, but I won't be able to work on that until I finish some other things.  I'd like to have a statue of  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cernunnos for the temples maybe.

7 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

About the wonder, if you switch, I am fine with that.

I'm making the last adjustments this is the last step if you think that is better. I wanted to adress a few of @Nescio's requests without spending too much time on them, because sadly I don't have unlimited time :(

6 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Might be, but I won't be able to work on that until I finish some other things.  I'd like to have a statue of  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cernunnos for the temples maybe.

In Fellbach-Schmiden, Germany, some kind of wooden reliefs or statues have been found

https://bawue.museum-digital.de/index.php?t=objekt&oges=99

https://bawue.museum-digital.de/index.php?t=objekt&oges=575&cachesLoaded=true

image.thumb.png.160e0444cc50f8ede6be023a3f661211.png

Some reconstructions have been proposed:

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2018_08/image.thumb.jpeg.44d3f2e897bc54ebc445a4beffaab78a.jpeg

One of them could represent Cernunnos. It isn't impossible it had horns as well.

28 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I'm making the last adjustments this is the last step if you think that is better. I wanted to adress a few of @Nescio's requests without spending too much time on them, because sadly I don't have unlimited time :(

It's nitpicking, it is not important if you have more urgent stuff to do.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stan` said:

Again, I'm merely commenting on what I see. I don't expect everything I say to be done; you're all volunteers with limited time, and what may seem easy and straightforward can actually be a lot of work to implement. Besides, I'm not always right, obviously (humans aren't infallible); Celts are outside my comfort zone, and I'm not an archaeologist.

If @Genava55 approves of it, I won't object.

Anyway, the current version is certainly a great improvement over Stonehenge!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1