===[TASK]=== Gaul Wonder

AgamemnonPhlemnon

One more thing, the houses inside: on the maquette

Spoiler

maquette.thumb.png.efef79be027698f1d1670d9587ac2541.png

their walls are decorated with animal bones and their roofs have four sides, not two; they are not very steep either; I'd say the walls are 60% of the height and the roofs 40%, whereas on your actor it looks more like 25% and 75%, respectively.

Perhaps you could bundle it as a mod, like you did with the hippopotamus and mausoleum, so people can view it from different angles and zooms in game before it's commited?

Furthermore, could you split of this discussion (starting with this post of yours ) into a separate “Gaul Wonder” thread (cf. Brit Wonder), for future reference?

15 minutes ago, Nescio said:

their walls are decorated with animal bones and their roofs have four sides, not two; they are not very steep either; I'd say the walls are 60% of the height and the roofs 40%, whereas on your actor it looks more like 25% and 75%, respectively.

Yeah it looked bad see the previous iterations.

gaul_wonder.zip

7 hours ago, Stan` said:

Because I messed up and I don't know how to fix it

@feneur

8 hours ago, Stan` said:

Some template corrections:

Spoiler

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Entity parent="template_structure_wonder">
  <Footprint>
    <Square width="41" depth="42"/>
    <Height>10</Height>
  </Footprint>
  <Identity>
    <Civ>gaul</Civ>
    <GenericName>Sanctuary of Corent</GenericName>
    <SpecificName>Celicnon</SpecificName>
  </Identity>
  <Obstruction>
    <Static width="40" depth="41"/>
  </Obstruction>
  <VisualActor>
    <FoundationActor>structures/fndn_9x9.xml</FoundationActor>
    <Actor>structures/gauls/wonder.xml</Actor>
  </VisualActor>
</Entity>

Also, `template_structure_special_statue.xml` does not exist.

As for the actor:

• Roofs of the houses, see previous post.
  • Why the grey and green ground below the roofs, but not elsewhere? It looks a bit ugly, on some terrains more than others.
  • Why is the cult statue outside the outer wall? Shouldn't it be within the enclosure?
  • When zooming in on the damaged spots on the wall, I see horizontal lines that look like wicker. On the image of the maquette from the website of the archaeological site, the outer wall consists of a vertical wooden poles (i.e. a palisade) covered with plaster.

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

Also, `template_structure_special_statue.xml` does not exist.

Yeah thats a de file. Will not be included.

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Why the grey and green ground below the roofs, but not elsewhere? It looks a bit ugly, on some terrains more than others.

So that I can put props no matter the terrain.

Why is the cult statue outside the outer wall? Shouldn't it be within the enclosure?

That's how it was in the reconsistution there was some kind of totem outside

When zooming in on the damaged spots on the wall, I see horizontal lines that look like wicker. On the image of the maquette from the website of the archaeological site, the outer wall consists of a vertical wooden poles (i.e. a palisade) covered with plaster.

That's for consistency with other buildings. Also there are already wooden poles outside so it would weird for the wall to also be of wood.

5 minutes ago, Stan` said:

So that I can put props no matter the terrain.

That's for consistency with other buildings. Also there are already wooden poles outside so it would weird for the wall to also be of wood.

Again, I'm just commenting on what catches my eye, I have no major objections to the current version.

@Genava55, @LordGood, or others might have some recommendations.

Anyway, it's certainly a lot more appropiate than Stonehenge!  

10 minutes ago, Stan` said:

To be precise, we don't know if this was a statue. The only thing sure, there was some kind of a weapon trophee (tropaion):

https://www.academia.edu/17354860/Le_trophée_de_Corent

From the objects found (4 shields bosses, a scabbard, a chain mail and a Gallic boar standard), it was probably not a statue.

To give you an idea in a different context:

https://youtu.be/GczRbefa16k?t=755

30 minutes ago, Nescio said:

When zooming in on the damaged spots on the wall, I see horizontal lines that look like wicker. On the image of the maquette from the website of the archaeological site, the outer wall consists of a vertical wooden poles (i.e. a palisade) covered with plaster.

It seems that wicker is more correct according to the description from the site. This is like half-timbered construction (à colombage en français). Wooden poles with wicker frames.

http://luern.free.fr/Articles et rapports/Esquisse.htm

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

@feneur

I might be missing something, but I can't seem to find where it says, ok, now I see, you mean 2018, not 2008, that makes a lot more sense :P Did he post his post on that date? Because if so it works as supposed as far as I understand things. If he made the original post at some other time it's not working I guess.

2 minutes ago, feneur said:

might be missing something, but I can't seem to find where it says, ok, now I see, you mean 2018, not 2008, that makes a lot more sense :P Did he post his post on that date? Because if so it works as supposed as far as I understand things. If he made the original post at some other time it's not working I guess.

I edited his post so that it was relevant and removed mine below. There was probably a better way to make sure I had the first post.

15 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Genava55 Thanks. What do think of the current state ? What would you change?

I like it. I would say I find a bit weird the upper part of the inner houses with the wicker still visible, without cover wattle-and-daube is pretty useless. Maybe it could be an opportunity to add player color on the upper part (or the lower part) of the house as well. The contrast between white and colored can be appealing.

This is a place of gathering and feasting, an occasion for Gallic aristocrats and elected magistrates (there were elected positions in the Gallic society) to display their wealth in the purpose to get more support (politically, economically and military). We know these particular events were the opportunity to drink wine and indeed there are a lot of amphora remains found in the sanctuary of Corent. Even holes in the ground where wine was poured in, probably as a symbolic ritual to share it with the underground deities. Finally we found another striking feature on the site, coins and tools to produce coins. Maybe the coins were distributed to the guests. I am simply saying these things to give you idea if you want to add more little things.

http://www.luern.fr/index.php?mod=scientifique&act=sanctuaire&id=47&img=32

image.thumb.png.6661b4ad86026eae26b86ccfb6db08ba.png

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 10:25 PM, feneur said:

I might be missing something, but I can't seem to find where it says, ok, now I see, you mean 2018, not 2008, that makes a lot more sense :P Did he post his post on that date? Because if so it works as supposed as far as I understand things. If he made the original post at some other time it's not working I guess.

The contents of the opening post of this thread were posted by @Stan` on 9 April 2020, as can be seen in the first reply of this thread, not by @AgamemnonPhlemnon on 27 February 2018.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:42 PM, Genava55 said:

To be precise, we don't know if this was a statue. The only thing sure, there was some kind of a weapon trophee (tropaion):

https://www.academia.edu/17354860/Le_trophée_de_Corent

From the objects found (4 shields bosses, a scabbard, a chain mail and a Gallic boar standard), it was probably not a statue.

To give you an idea in a different context:

https://youtu.be/GczRbefa16k?t=755

A tropaion makes sense; they're also present in other Mediterranean cultures.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:07 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Only thing I don't like is the green tile stone under the portico. 

I agree.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Made some adjustements. If there is no big concern, I'll commit it as is :)

screenshot0085.png

gaul_wonder.zip 2.66 MB · 1 download

Looks great (checked it out in Atlas). Good job updating the normal map on the rooftiles too. (y) I say commit this sucker.

Only thing I wouldn't have done was to copy-pasta the UV mapping onto the roofs so much. But that's just a pet peeve of mine (like how people just UV map 1 Greek column and then copy-paste the same column 20 times on a temple lol).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

Only thing I wouldn't have done was to copy-pasta the UV mapping onto the roofs so much. But that's just a pet peeve of mine (like how people just UV map 1 Greek column and then copy-paste the same column 20 times on a temple lol).

screenshot0362.jpg

It's probably not noticeable to most players though. :D 

screenshot0363.thumb.jpg.3b25b62e8c7a33076c29d4783267166a.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone