Computers And Girls -> Long Story

I remember when I had my last girl-friend - almost one year ago. I always monitored closely how she reacts to my online "business" and what her relationship to the computer in general was. It was..well..weird.

There were some days when she was probably not given enough attention, that was when I said in front of the puter, while she was laying in the bed next to me reading a book or just watching holes into my body or something.

However, there were also some days where she always wanted to play some Age of Kings and kicked my butt when I was the first one in front of the computer.

What are your experiences regarding girls and computers/IT ?

My gf only uses the pc for chatting on msn with me or looking up stuff for school/gigs. So doesn't really like games, doesn't have the patience to learn playing them. Although she always makes fun of me when I said a played a game the other day she really likes it that I do some web design and I'm busy with my own community/site. There are many (annoying) girls though that think of any guy using a pc more then an hour a day being a stupid geek. Well, that's what I always tell my gf, I'm proud to be a nerd! (although I don't look like one) :)

Yes, especially one in the RTS community :) Most girls that play PC games are usually RPG girls.

There are many (annoying) girls though that think of any guy using a pc more then an hour a day being a stupid geek.

hah... I assure there is an overwhelming amount of girls that spend more time than guys on the computer. What do they do? Chat 24/7 ofcourse.

my spousal overunit :) was an avid Diablo I & II player a few years back (2 years to be exact). nowadays she mainly surfs the net (shopping, vacation, ...).

at first when we got together seven years ago she was very opposed to computers and the internet in general. things changed when we got our cable modem and i set her up her own workstation (we have currently 3 machines at home ... one router for NAT-ing and 2 workstations in an internal network)

it's funny how things change over time ;) and my kids (in case you didn't know - i'm a proud father of 6 year old twins: a boy named Julian and a girl named Blanca) are very enthusiastic about computers too ... apart from their gameboys :P

suilad

-Bernd

I like playing games and learning to program things.

Wow, now I think Klaas is really right... oh my god, a female programmer ! :P

Well, all girls I know from RTS communities are either scenario designers (and if so, often the best ones, what makes me having a lot of respect for female designers) or use to play the games the "I build up for 2 hours and then wait for an attack"-style :) At least some ones I know in real life play this way... and then they mostly get destroyed because they forgot to build a wall between some trees. Anyway, I only know 2 or 3 females who really play computer games, all others I know (ones from my school and such) only use the internet for chatting (MSN or ICQ) and mailing. Also, if it hits them that they forgot some homework, they use to message me in ICQ, but without asking if I have time to tell them how this or that maths homework works, just assuming I'm sitting there the whole day only waiting for people who want to get something taught (ok, that's a rather negative opinion, but it is what happened through the last year).

To get back to the scenario designer females - as I already wrote, I have great respect for them. They are mostly very good mappers, have high computer skills and are very nice persons. Too bad there are no German female scenario designers... ;)