Experimenting with icons

Like one button with a changing icon? Though i think there might be cases where you would have to raise an alert two times without ending it, eg. if you ungarrison some units in between

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It was because one used to be able to have multiple alarm levels.

ah ok, so that's the reason for the red bell

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nifa said:

Like one button with a changing icon? Though i think there might be cases where you would have to raise an alert two times without ending it, eg. if you ungarrison some units in between

Right, one could be disabled too . eg yellow when enabled grey when disabled, and red when enabled grey when disabled

• Like 1

the only thing the button does is giving the women the order to either "garrison" or "go back to work", right?

So if you raise an alert and then manually send them back to work, the button would still be shown as "alert", so you'd have to click twice to raise an alert again. So it's not a state but an one-time order? I think it'd be better to keep two buttons tbh

Has there been much consideration for colour blindness with these icons?  That's where I could see the current alarm bell be problematic.

true

Edited by nifa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Freagarach said:

With D1958 (a.k.a. turrets) nearing its completion, can I request a few icons, please?

• action-occupy-turret (and its disabled variant) (this is a cursor)
  • occupy-turret
  • leave-turret

Just so I can follow, what is the reason to not reuse the garrison/ ungarrison icons? The action seems rather similar to me.

Ah ok. So the difference with D1958 would be that garrisoned units are passive and don't shoot arrows, while mounted/ turret occupying units can?

So in the case of a fortress with turrets: do only the units in the turrets fire arrows, or would the garrisoned units still increase the number of arrows a building is able to fire?

Because if they do, the action seems rather similar (at least to me) and it would be enough to use one icon that does different things, depending if you click on a turret (occupying) vs clicking on the fortress (garrisoning). In both cases you put your unit in/ on something.

If it is regarded as a separate action, and you select a fortress with occupied turrets and garrisoned units, would you have to click on both icons or use two hotkeys to get all your units out? That seems to me like an easy way to forget some units for the rest of the game in that building.

6 hours ago, Dragonoar said:

What image should be used for the occupy turret cursor?

Would onager be representative of the turret mechanic?

Gotchu fam. @Freagarach @Stan` 

action-garrison-turret

action-garrison-turret.png.feaf96b62846fa8aa5ff1a6951888aec.png

action-garrison-turret.txt

Bonus:

Metal and Stone mine portraits:

geology_stone.png.2a586529676c5519b5f562768dc7eba4.pnggeology_stone_1.png.7df1cf89a5ccc79b00ac35ba6f54a8c2.pnggeology_stone_2.png.5cb94e6ce93c2a61f894fe7256c45a7a.pnggeology_metal.png.9462bcc980f3559619f86230a9b6f828.png

Cursors for the same:

action-gather-rock.png

action-gather-ore.png

Resource icons for the same:

stone.png.d0356c9cfc1b3ff13d1ff701182d9790.pngstone_small.png.f657db4e788a2fa4d1146b5bf2e49456.png

metal.png.ff3219993ba33522f6c2bdb6bf65dd1b.pngmetal_small.png.150882436fde6927f3d62279dc49685e.png

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, maroder said:

So in the case of a fortress with turrets: do only the units in the turrets fire arrows, or would the garrisoned units still increase the number of arrows a building is able to fire?

(Note this is the case already at least since A23b.) The turreted units fire on their own, while the garrisoned units increase the number of arrows a building is able to fire. (Turrets are those units you see on a wall and garrisoned units are not visible, e.g. when you garrison a CC.) The main differences to bring with D1958 is that we can have turrets on moving entities and that you can define a turret to be present from the moment the entity exists.

Thanks @wowgetoffyourcellphone! Do you happen to have a disabled variant of that too? ^^

2 hours ago, Freagarach said:

Note this is the case already at least since A23b.

Yes I know that :D I was only not sure about if that is going to change, so thanks for the explanation. Anyways I just wanted to say that having two icons to click to get your units out of e.g. a fortress which has turrets and garrisoned units, may increase the chance that you forget some of them.

Which is obviously only a problem when one entity can be both garrisoned and have turrets.

On 18/03/2020 at 1:58 AM, Stan` said:

image.png

In A24 there will be support for status effects, So I tried to make a few icons in preparation. I also added new icons to the list above.

image.png

Why didn't I spot this thread sooner... These status effects icons are cool, and foreshadows what may come to 0AD (frozen effect, terrain/biome effects are coming to 0AD?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...