A good time to release a new Alpha

av93

I was very vague. What I mean it's that maybe there will be more devs or devs with more time now that there's a lot of people staying at home, but for sure there will be a lot of people that would play tha game. Also releasing a new Alpha would be thanked by a lot of people in those stranges times.

I mean, 0 pressure for you, because you're doing a great work and lately I've seen that you are adding nice new features that aren't specifically for 0 a.d but for the engine (and modders will thank) ¡, like building sockets and status effects.

IDK if there's like a long special feature waiting for be finished, or a release blocker that can't be solved, or you are just waiting for an huge step to go to the Beta, but I was just pointint that: more free time for people means that maybe a lot would be happy for a new alpha.

There are a few features I'd like to have. At least one release blocker ( I will try to meet with @Itms to sort it out soonish)

There is the pathfinder threading but no one to review it (@wraitii is AWOL since November)

Then there are some gameplay patches ( I have list somewhere)

Maybe one art surprise.

Then some stuff by vladislav and elexis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont remember a particular one, but Borg patch was an intersting change in gameplay. I wanted to retake the multiplayer, but seems that the process of implementing its stalled. I'm happy with whataever the devs have after 2 years of work

• Like 1

6 hours ago, av93 said:

I dont remember a particular one, but Borg patch was an intersting change in gameplay. I wanted to retake the multiplayer, but seems that the process of implementing its stalled. I'm happy with whataever the devs have after 2 years of work

Well if someone can talk to him, please ask him to contact me. The reason it's stalled is because I haven't heard from him in a while. @Nescio made the patches and @ValihrAnt helped too.

Personally I'd favour a six month release cycle (say every June and December). However, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon; the next alpha targets are increasingly ambitious. Moreover, there is a review backlog of hundreds of patches.

A selection of features I know work has started on and I hope will make it into A24:

• resource growth and decay
  • world population game setting
  • garrison slots on units (e.g. war elephants)
  • gates opening and closing independent of units on walls and gates
  • ability to limit what resources can be used for (e.g. bartering, trader gain, tribute)

Furthermore, I really hope map file names will use underscores instead of hyphens and spaces. (D1042 was proposed over two years ago but is still relevant; @elexis started reviewing it but has since disappeared.)

Art, balance and gameplay, descriptions and tooltips, template improvements, etc. are of lesser importance.

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well if someone can talk to him, please ask him to contact me. The reason it's stalled is because I haven't heard from him in a while. @Nescio made the patches and @ValihrAnt helped too.

If @borg- is no longer available, then perhaps you should consider implementing patches without him; e.g. implement minor patches if three people who know what they're doing are in favour of a stat tweak and nobody objects in say two weeks.

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

If @borg- is no longer available, then perhaps you should consider implementing patches without him; e.g. implement minor patches if three people who know what they're doing are in favour of a stat tweak and nobody objects in say two weeks.

Sure I need at least someone who plays SP very often and someone who plays MP at a good level (1800+) though rating can be a bit irrelevant. Refs (Thanks again)

6 minutes ago, Nescio said:

resource growth and decay (D1718)

Stalled because it needs Status Effects v3 (D2296) by @Freagarach,

6 minutes ago, Nescio said:

garrison slots on units (e.g. war elephants)

Needs (D1958) by @Freagarach. Functionallity will likely be limited to chariots and elephants with towers.

Horse archers and elephant archers need rotation restriction which I believe has yet to be implemented.

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

gates opening and closing independent of units on walls and gates

Won't happen unless @wraitii comes back or someone else finishes it D1418

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:

ability to limit what resources can be used for (e.g. bartering, trader gain, tribute)

Needs @Freagarach (D1957) (Stalled)

11 minutes ago, Nescio said:

world population game setting

Needs (D2426) by @Freagarach 

As one can see we are a bit dependent on Freagarach and Angen's availabilty which is suboptimal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Sure I need at least someone who plays SP very often and someone who plays MP at a good level (1800+) though rating can be a bit irrelevant.

For multiplayer I suppose @borg-, @Feldfeld, @ValihrAnt. I don't care about multiplayer games, competitive or not, but you can put me down for single-player; I'm sure there are other people interested as well. D2596 is an example of what I consider an uncontroversial and minor stat tweak patch.

25 minutes ago, Stan` said:
54 minutes ago, Nescio said:

garrison slots on units (e.g. war elephants)

Needs (D1958) by @Freagarach. Functionallity will likely be limited to chariots and elephants with towers.

Horse archers and elephant archers need rotation restriction which I believe has yet to be implemented.

With that elephant archers can be replaced with melee elephants on top of which you can place ranged infantry.

1 hour ago, Stockfish said:

i could help too @Stan`

There is a list at https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/27385-0-ad-svn-gameplay-patches/ (I've just updated it; if there are any other gameplay patches missing, let me know.)

The idea is anyone can click on the link in the list to view the actual proposed changes on phabricator. You can discuss them over there, and if you approve of a proposed diff, click “Add Action...” → “Accept Revision”. The more people participate, the more likely it'll be a team member is willing to commit a diff, hopefully.

Now that I seen that slingers use a spread factor, that opens new gameplay design possibilities if formations are well implemented. What are the current formation implementation? grouping/ungrouping is supported? Stats formation modificacions are supported?

Edited by av93