Balanced Maps mod

badosu

New development version, third release candidate:

- Introduce wood generator, guarantees fair global 3/4 patches to each player

I won't expect to introduce any new features now.

My focus is on playtesting, rearchitecture of the helper functions, generating map previews and possibly including britannic_road (when @Feldfeld feels its ready)

Please test if possible and let me know your feedback.

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu

New development version, fourth release candidate:

- Bring in Britannic Road, props to @Feldfeld!!! :banana:
- Fix sunken minerals on hyrcanian
- Port optimization fixes for DiskPlacer and AnnulusPlacer
- Optimize placements by constraining on areas instead of placer functions
- Adjustments for tiny balanced maps
- Memoize areas for food creation
- Rearchitecture the helper functions (new library balancedHelpers)

From now on I expect to only generate map previews and address any further issues found on playtesting. Thanks for the help!!

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Release candidate (0.19):

- Adjusted distancing between players on mainland (farther on small 1v1, farther on 4v4 normal but still closer than vanilla)
- Major refactoring in food gen, additional food is farther from cc
- Adjustments to cross lake gen, especially for tgs
- Straggler trees are back in range of cc!
- Adjustment to slopes
- Major adjustments to hyrcanian shores, including new player placements (similar to one used in slopes). Now players are not placed in staggered manner, and lots of straggler wood inside cc range, this should increase the enjoyment of the map.

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

New stable version (0.20):

- Inclusion of Slopes and Balanced Continent
- Inclusion of fixed position variants for Balanced Mainland and Wrench
- Various optimizations
- Adjusts for team games on all maps
- Food amount adjustments, reduction of maximum overall while allowing rare high food gens. Maximum 2 extra berries
- Food distance adjustments, farther than before
- Fix compatibility check
- Balanced Hyrcanian shore uses new placement algorithm, similar to one used in slopes
- Straggler trees back in cc range

Please test it if possible so we catch any issues before approval on mod.io.

balanced-maps.zip

Edited by badosu
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, badosu said:

Food distance adjustments, farther than before

That's good (I would still like them a bit farther from the CC for my taste but that's better than before).

Also you might want to check this (singleplayer) replay, if I counted well red has more food, I don't know if it's an expected case:
commands.txt

Edited by Feldfeld

8 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

That's good (I would still like them a bit farther from the CC for my taste but that's better than before).

Me too, a case can be made to check for that when 1v1.

However for team games that's not too feasible, so for now we make a compromise.

I noticed there's only commands.txt attached, is it possible to be replayed?

1 minute ago, badosu said:

I noticed there's only commands.txt attached, is it possible to be replayed?

Yes, but there's a mod i forgot to remove that you most certainly don't have xd

2 minutes ago, badosu said:

However for team games that's not too feasible, so for now we make a compromise.

I'm curious why is this the case

4 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

Yes, but there's a mod i forgot to remove that you most certainly don't have xd

I'm sorry, I don't understand, so is it possible? I don't know how to perform that with only a single file.

4 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

I'm curious why is this the case

Most times issues with players with close borders, both ally and enemies. I can revisit that if the approval process is slow and I have time to test.

1 minute ago, badosu said:

I'm sorry, I don't understand, so is it possible? I don't know how to perform that with only a single file.

Yes, you just need to create a folder just like the other replays but there won't be a metadata.json (it's not needed). Don't forget to  look in singleplayer replays, not multiplayer. Use this file instead:
commands.txt

3 minutes ago, badosu said:

Most times issues with players with close borders, both ally and enemies. I can revisit that if the approval process is slow and I have time to test.

A possible solution is to use the idea of having a unique tileclass for each player, and avoid all tileclasses that are not the current player's. Granted, that's not very elegant.

34 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

Also you might want to check this (singleplayer) replay, if I counted well red has more food, I don't know if it's an expected case:

Ugh, that's correct, I guess I'll have some work yet to do...

Thanks for testing!!

4 minutes ago, badosu said:

Ugh, that's correct, I guess I'll have some work yet to do...

Thanks for testing!!

You're welcome. And that's not a problem I think in this specific case as it's a high food gen but that could be one if it can happen in low food gen as well.

Ok, this is a straightforward fix, thankfully.

I'll update mod.io.

I did some general rearchitecture of the helpers and the food value for berries was incorrect, it must have been generating incorrectly for quite a while. Interestingly many times people complained players with hunt had advantage. Most of time though the generations were incredibly similar.

I didn't actually count them for a while, relying on the food debugger, but the food debugger uses the initial values set on https://github.com/badosu/badmod/blob/master/maps/random/balancedHelpers/foodValues.js so if it's corrupt, it does not make any difference.

Thanks a lot @Feldfeld that was incredibly helpful, it was more than just a specific edge case glitch.

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu

Ok, I actually adjusted the hunting distance. Since berries were nerfed due to correct value fix and increased distance, and also players without hunt felt often in disadvantage, now players with hunt will need to scout to find them, and also makes the hunt gathering spot (e.g. farmstead) non optimal.

This also fixes some issues with food gen not accounting correct berry values.

balanced-maps.pyromod

Edited by badosu

It's important to notice that food/wood/mineral gen gets messed up if you play any kind of game in which borders are close to the enemy. I implemented some mitigation to this issue, nevertheless it's optimized for regular competitive games so always stick to the recommended map sizes for the number of players and teams.

Teams are placed in polygonal shaped opposed to each other, teams with 2 players are placed as a horizontal line facing the opposite side. You can see it here (at 20:00 +10 min for some action):

Embed is not working well for some reason

• Like 2