great way to greatly change the game

vinme

what if metal/stone spawns could not be within a certain distance from the cc of a player.lets say like a bit more than p3 so really far where youd have to either reach for it if your lucky enough to get one nearby. otherwise this would motivate players to build ccs or colonies to fight over these resources that would be quite scarce otherwise.i dont think civilization balance would get messed up because of this altho not sure it might.but the game balance would be rly improved as ppl wouldnt get unfair advantages.also could be as an option would be rly cool also with berries but i have a better idea for berries/hunt.most games are generally unfair in a sense that one side gets an extremely significant advantage which is defenetly fun as makes every game more unique and unexpected but 0ad has enough suprises and complexities as is and  for rated games especially the fact that if 2 players of exactly equal skill play bacically the one with significantly better map (which prob happens like 70% of the time ) wins is rly annoying.there are strats to adapt to this randomness mainly scouting early and rushing if you see that enemy has a significantly superior map than you or outposting their berries/hunt(with vision tech to maybe get to it in time when enemy tries to capture)as you rdy your rush but i havent seen anyone using this but me a few times.

• Like 1

oh yeah went off track forgot to mention the idea i have for the starting food avalibility balance is to have an area like a donut for hunt around the cc where a certain amout of foods worth of hunt will spawn(ofc there will be imbalances and randomness based on number of batches where scarttered hunt is harder to use and also that some side will have on average further hunt) and also berries spawn area within the reach of ur teritory.and both of thoes things must add up to be equal so lets say randomly oen side gets 800 hunt and 1200 berries and other side gets 300 hunt and 1700 berries

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 12:32 PM, vinme said:

what if metal/stone spawns could not be within a certain distance from the cc of a player.

[...]

but the game balance would be rly improved as ppl wouldnt get unfair advantages.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:38 PM, vinme said:

oh yeah went off track forgot to mention the idea i have for the starting food avalibility balance is to have an area like a donut for hunt around the cc where a certain amout of foods worth of hunt will spawn(ofc there will be imbalances and randomness based on number of batches where scarttered hunt is harder to use and also that some side will have on average further hunt) and also berries spawn area within the reach of ur teritory.

That's exactly what I do in balanced-maps, just tune these constants to your liking:

https://github.com/badosu/badmod/blob/master/maps/random/badmainland.js#L129-L132
https://github.com/badosu/badmod/blob/master/maps/random/badmainland.js#L155
https://github.com/badosu/badmod/blob/master/maps/random/badmainland.js#L150

and both of thoes things must add up to be equal so lets say randomly oen side gets 800 hunt and 1200 berries and other side gets 300 hunt and 1700 berries

Not really necessary from our experience with balanced-maps, game only needs to be fair until p2-p3 and extra minerals. From that point free food loses relevance.

Edited by badosu

yes yes but i thought of these ideas and more that i didnt write like last year.and my post was b4 urs ...im pretty sure.

so i thought of this and then you did.i still think  just giving everybody extra metal and stone is a bad way to fix this issue :P.

yes the variance in hunt and berries was unnecessary just thought would make the game more random while keeping the balance im not a programer so im assuming that anything that i can simply write down like "generate berries amount = random 100-2000, generate hunt amount=2000-berries amount"

can be implemented easily.im sure im wrong about that tho.

• 1 month later...