Is 0 A.D. still in development?

JuKu96

20 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well it works if that's the question :)

With the hardware you want to support, the lack of deferred shading (or just forward+), the use of alpha preventing a reasonable deferred rendering system, and all around archaic rendering system compared to today I am really not sure if dynamic lighting "works". I guess completely ignoring shadows casted would make it simpler.

Aproper implementation of dynamic lighting is pretty straightforward. But in this 20 year old system, it's just too much work.

Without instancing, dynamic lights in a forward system will fry cards. So many fragments per pass. And it scales with number of lights too.

> What is nowadays the possibility to have lightning / storms during a match?

>> Not possible yet. @vladislavbelov worked on something but didn't release anything usable.

I guess I should have quoted the relevant part. That was my bad.

But yes, any plans in the graphics area of stuff going on? If I may suggest something, do what STK did and get the graphics engine of open source code and maintain it as a fork.

Edited by smiley

20 minutes ago, smiley said:

(or just forward+)

We can use kinda forward+ for GL2+, so it's not so far.

42 minutes ago, smiley said:

the use of alpha preventing a reasonable deferred rendering system

And deferred rendering prevents MSAA, most everything in graphics is tradeoff.

20 minutes ago, smiley said:

I guess completely ignoring shadows casted would make it simpler.

Most modern graphic systems in games don't cast shadows for dynamic lightings, might do only for few (like 4-8) nearest to a player lights.

22 minutes ago, smiley said:

But in this 20 year old system, it's just too much work.

Not really, you more wanna say too much to review at once x)

22 minutes ago, smiley said:

Without instancing

Profit of the instancing is pretty tricky, it highly depends on a scene. Look at Yves measurements for deep forest. For obvious reason the difference isn't so big about ~10%.

26 minutes ago, smiley said:

So many fragments per pass. And it scales with number of lights too.

It depends on how to add lights, usually the number of fragments doesn't scale with the number of lights. And there are a bunch of pretty old techniques to reduce amount of rendered fragment.

9 hours ago, Sturm said:

Is this a finished tool nowadays?

In terms of the game implementation it has most needed features, but in Atlas we can't edit all its parameters yet, only a part of them. But it's possible to edit the map file or use JS to control all parameters.

• Like 2

What about PBR? I am not sure if it's really worth it. In RTS games, you can't really see the details. And more simpler code from certain points of view.

But most importantly, if a gltf migration is planned, that's something to think about since it's kinda centered on PBR.