Translating Specific Names

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another language issue... Can anyoune tell me, did developers use gaulish pronounce for both Gauls and Britons or they use Welish for Brittons? Because letter "U" reads different. For welish it should be sound as "ee" (wheel, Llandudno = Lland-ee-dno), for gaulish as "oo" (zoo)?

Uxelon - brit and gauls defence tower - Ihelon or Uhelon for both? Or it should be Uhelon - for gauls and Ihelon for brits?
Edited by Paruru Slowlegs

6 minutes ago, Paruru Slowlegs said:

Well, another language issue... Can anyoune tell me, did developers use gaulish pronounce for both Gauls and Britons or they use Welish for Brittons? Because letter "U" reads different. For welish it should be sound as "ee" (wheel, Llandudno = Lland-ee-dno), for gaulish as "oo" (zoo)?

Uxelon - brit and gauls defence tower - Ihelon or Uhelon for both? Or it should be Uhelon - for gauls and Ihelon for brits?

Yes, Britons and Gauls use the same language and pronunciation in 0 A.D. I believe “u” represents /u/, like in zoo, but ask @Genava55, he's the expert on things Celtic.

There is https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/SpecificNames, but that's more about orthography than pronunciation.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 7:28 PM, Nescio said:

Nonetheless, for the purposes of the game, transliterating ç as “сс” /ss/ is fine, provided it's done consistently.

I finally found some authoritative opinion link:

Ariyānām Xšaçam - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Держава_Ахеменидов#cite_note-2

Spoiler

Daryaee, edited by Touraj; A. Shapour Shahbazi. The Oxford handbook of Iranian history (англ.). — Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012. — P. 131. — doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199732159.001.0001.. — «Although the Persians and Medes shared domination and others were placed in important positions, the Achaemenids did not – could not – provide a name for their multinational state. Nevertheless, they referred to it as Khshassa, "the Empire".».

19 hours ago, Paruru Slowlegs said:

I finally found some authoritative opinion link:

Ariyānām Xšaçam - https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Держава_Ахеменидов#cite_note-2

Hide contents

Daryaee, edited by Touraj; A. Shapour Shahbazi. The Oxford handbook of Iranian history (англ.). — Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012. — P. 131. — doi:10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199732159.001.0001.. — «Although the Persians and Medes shared domination and others were placed in important positions, the Achaemenids did not – could not – provide a name for their multinational state. Nevertheless, they referred to it as Khshassa, "the Empire".».

As I wrote earlier, transcribing <ç> as /s/ is fine, since that's the sound it eventually became in (Middle) Persian. In Proto-Iranian, it was *θr. It may have been /sr/ at some point in Old Persian; the exact pronunciation during the 5th C BC remains uncertain, since sound shifts can't be pinpointed precisely, only very broadly. But yes, making it /ss/ in your translation is fine.