Overhaul Mod for 0 A.D. - Project Amindale

DeadTom

Hello! I've been searching for all kinds of tutorials on how to mod this game and haven't been able to really find everything I need so I figured I'd use this opportunity to introduce my mod to the world and see what people think. I started this project some months ago in Warcraft III for my friends and it was near completion, but then reforged came out and I pulled the plug on the project because I didn't want Blizzard to swoop in and steal my baby from me if I ever decided to publish it. So I had to find something that I could remake my project in since I don't really have the skill to make a whole game. So I remembered that 0 A.D. existed and here I am now! This isn't based off of anything, its entirely my own creation. Its a low to mid fantasy world where gods exist and magic is sparse. There are centaurs, beastmen (satyrs, minotaurs, etc.), gnolls, humans, elves, and orcs. I created my own map for the world and have all kinds of factions thought out. (Fun fact: Amindale is one of the continents in the world, not the name of the world itself!). I  I don't have a whole lot to show of it, I only started a few days ago but I hope I can deliver something that people will enjoy! Currently its just my friend and I who are working on it and I'm a beginner so progress is slow but there is progress. Though I guess the progress isn't really the mod itself just conceptual progress... So far I've figured that I want to release the mod in parts, with each part introducing the various factions. Part 1 (Project Amindale) would showcase the 5 factions that inhabit Amindale. I've also gotten all their tech trees sorted out as well as units and stuff like that so I have a clear idea of what I want. I made a Trello laying out this stuff which only my friend and I really have access to.

I apologize if any formatting is wrong here, this is my first time posting in a forum and showing this project to the world so I'm very nervous! Also sorry if this post is a mess and doesn't make sense, I am just trying to get my thoughts out! 

I would like to ask some questions though.

1. What are some tips you would have for a project like this?

2. I'm not a great artist and I don't really know any, is it possible to stitch game assets together into what I need them to be? (I.e. Centaur, Satyr, Minotaur, etc.)

3. For the unit creation tutorial it seems like its outdated, I've followed it to the letter multiple times but it doesn't seem to work, I get this crazy error in game that is pretty long. Is there some kind of updated one or can someone provide a new one or a good example I could follow?

If you have any questions about anything please feel free to ask! Thank you for reading I am excited to share more about what I am doing in the future! ^.^

Edited by DeadTom
Forgot to add a detail
  • Like 6

Hey @DeadTom,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for considering our engine for your mod!

1. Be patient. Modding takes a fair amount of time and it can be frustrating. Find an artist and a programmer to work with you, if you need custom features. Depending on your intent with your mod be careful with the licensed stuff you use. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We'll be happy to assist when we can.

2. You should be able to find some of the assets you mentioned in the mythology mod started by @Rolf Dew. You can find it here 

3. Everytime you get an error you can read it in your log files. If it doesn't make sense to you post it here in a code block for instance and we'll help you to fix it if we can.

See: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

• Thanks 1

I guess making people move to Open Source is one of the diamonds Reforged is producing.

I'm torn between two suggestions:

1. Use Megaglest, since it seems to be a closer-to-home when it comes to Warcraft III.
  2. Stay here. As you can see by the earlier replies that the 0 A.D. Team has plenty of talented Asset Designers. And they're quick to help you if they ever find supporting your project enjoyable. It's the Programming side which you have to accept the frustrations.
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stan` said:

Welcome to the forums and thank you for considering our engine for your mod!

Awesome! Thank you all for these details! I do have a programmer (my friend I mentioned in the main post) and I know some programming myself so I think I've got that covered. Where would you recommend I look for an artist to help out? I don't have any money to really speak of so I can't compensate them but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look. I will certainly look into that mythology mod as well, thank you for recommending that!

11 hours ago, asterix said:

Hi, welcome to the forums I would recommend to look at  the series 

I was looking all over for a comprehensive modding tutorial but couldn't find one, you are amazing. 

8 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I guess making people move to Open Source is one of the diamonds Reforged is producing.

I did look at Megaglest and thought about it but I much prefer 0 A.D. because I've played it in the past and its going to work a whole lot better for what I want the final product to be.

Thank you for your replies! I look forward to posting more about my mod!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, asterix said:

Thank you it is in Portugal dabbing but with english subtitles plus also look at our repositories as example https://github.com/0ADMods .  Similar mod also might be

Awesome! Thank you again. I actually realized what I could do with 0 A.D. with Hyrule Conquest. I'd been following it since its creation in Medieval 2 Total War and its something of an inspiration for my mod actually! I will certainly take a deeper look at it though :)

• Like 1

Hello friends!

I've been following the unit creation tutorial posted on the Youtube Channel above and have run into an error that neither me nor my programmer buddy can figure out. I am not super sure how to post it here but I will try my best!

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/cart_infantry_swordsman_a:1: Element Attack has extra content: Crush
ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation failed for '(null)'
ERROR: Failed to validate entity template 'units/cart_infantry_swordsman_a'
ERROR: JavaScript error: gui/session/session.js line 233 Error: deepfreeze requires exactly one object as an argument. GetTemplateData@gui/session/session.js:233:1 g_SelectionPanels.Training.setupButton@gui/session/selection_panels.js:935:18 setupUnitPanel@gui/session/unit_commands.js:95:8 updateUnitCommands@gui/session/unit_commands.js:147:4 updateSelectionDetails@gui/session/selection_details.js:471:2 updateGUIObjects@gui/session/session.js:945:2 onTick@gui/session/session.js:814:3 __eventhandler170 (tick)@session tick:0:1
ERROR: JavaScript error: gui/session/session.js line 233 Error: deepfreeze requires exactly one object as an argument. GetTemplateData@gui/session/session.js:233:1 g_SelectionPanels.Training.setupButton@gui/session/selection_panels.js:935:18 setupUnitPanel@gui/session/unit_commands.js:95:8 updateUnitCommands@gui/session/unit_commands.js:147:4 updateSelectionDetails@gui/session/selection_details.js:471:2 updateGUIObjects@gui/session/session.js:945:2 onSimulationUpdate@gui/session/session.js:875:2 __eventhandler172 (simulationupdate)@session simulationupdate:0:1
ERROR: JavaScript error: gui/session/session.js line 233 Error: deepfreeze requires exactly one object as an argument. GetTemplateData@gui/session/session.js:233:1 g_SelectionPanels.Training.setupButton@gui/session/selection_panels.js:935:18 setupUnitPanel@gui/session/unit_commands.js:95:8 updateUnitCommands@gui/session/unit_commands.js:147:4 updateSelectionDetails@gui/session/selection_details.js:471:2 updateGUIObjects@gui/session/session.js:945:2 onSimulationUpdate@gui/session/session.js:875:2 __eventhandler172 (simulationupdate)@session simulationupdate:0:1
Engine exited successfully on 2020-02-06 at 15:06:07 with 810 message(s), 20 error(s) and 0 warning(s).

EDIT: Nevermind I figured out the problem!

Edited by DeadTom
Figured out my issue
  • Like 1

For the record that's the way you post errors :)

8 hours ago, DeadTom said:

ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation error: units/cart_infantry_swordsman_a:1: Element Attack has extra content: Crush ERROR: RelaxNGValidator: Validation failed for '(null)' ERROR: Failed to validate entity template 'units/cart_infantry_swordsman_a'

This one is pretty explicit. 

The other one usually happens as a side effect of something else.

Glad you figured it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!! It has been some time since I've replied here, so I apologize if that is problematic! But I guess I just wanted to give an update on the progress of the mod! I've been slowly working on it though don't have much to show unfortunately. I am still figuring it out but its all making sense the more I work on it, though the endless folders are quite confusing. So far I've managed to make one of the maps that'll be apart of the mod and I've been crawling my way through the first factions units. Without a 3D artist though it has been kind of hard though since I can't really visualize everything and finding one has been impossible. I ended up taking the 3D modeling into my own hands since I do have some experience though I have no clue how to make something for a game. I've just been sticking to what I've noticed in the 0 AD models in that they don't have a whole lot of geometry which is nice! Kind of makes things easier! The only thing that I am wondering how to tackle is creating the non-humans, I have little confidence in my ability to put together something that looks proportionally correct and believable. So far I've only modeled a handful of the weapons in the mod. Here is what they look like!

https://imgur.com/a/rgHBfCZ

I am wondering now though, how do I put these weapons into the game? I tried to follow it with the folder structure and what not but got super confused and turned around with how many folders I was going through and eventually set it aside. Thank you for reading! I hope you have a wonderful day!

• Like 2

Hey @DeadTom

Thanks for keeping up with it! If you have any question about the folder structure you can ask in this thread. If you need a more interactive explanation you can drop by IRC or ask me on Discord.

As general rule for modelling in this kind of environment keep the number of polygons as low as possible and work a lot more with the textures. There are some general recommendations here and there.

For non humans maybe you should look at our animal blendfiles, or ask @LordGood how he did it with Ponies Ascendant. Animations can be a bit tricky for beginners to get in the game and there a few steps to follow.

1 hour ago, DeadTom said:

I am wondering now though, how do I put these weapons into the game? I tried to follow it with the folder structure and what not but got super confused and turned around with how many folders I was going through and eventually set it aside.

You can find a basic tutorial on how to get things in the game here. Hope it helps.

Have a nice day too, let me know if I can help.

• Thanks 1

Hello! Thank you for the reply! I forgot about the whole texturing part of things and that is a whole other beast that I need to tackle and have 0 idea on how to tackle. I never understood texturing and still have a pretty rough time with it. Agh having no training in art makes this project pretty tough! I guess I'll eventually figure it out, at least I hope I will! I want to try looking at the animal blend files and go from there, maybe I can Frankenstein something together! Might look kind of freaky though lol... I'll keep all this in mind though, so much to learn! I need to find more people to work with me on this lol, one man isn't going to cut it I think! If there is anyone reading this who would like to help please message me :)!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello hello friends! It has been some time since I posted about the mod but worry not! We aren't dead yet. Work has been pretty slow. Managing life and prioritizing stuff has had me all over the place but work continues on the mod! Currently, only one of the factions units is really done but we don't have any art for them and have just been using the assets provided by 0 A.D. which makes it a little confusing and very cobbled together. We did manage to find two artists who have been working on the project but they've been pretty slow and fairly unresponsive unfortunately so the hunt continues to find good artists that are decently reliable! I've not been able to work on any of the art myself either because I haven't had the energy. So, at the moment the mod is progressing but only though the programming side. Even then it is still slow. Sorry for the random updates here and there and bouts of silence! We are trying our best!

• Like 3

Yeah, we do have one but its super bare-bones because I keep forgetting to upload the files that I have there. At the moment, getting into contact with them has been the main issue, they're in very different time zones and they don't make any effort to reach out to me or anyone on the team. I do recognize they have lives outside of modeling and what not but it wouldn't hurt to give an update to me. Also there is a bit of a language barrier, neither of them speak english as their native tongue so that hampers the process a little as well. Anyway, not here to complain to the world lol, as far as I know they've done a lot of research on the engine themselves and seem confident in their ability so I hope it pans out in the end!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeadTom said:

Yeah, we do have one but its super bare-bones because I keep forgetting to upload the files that I have there. At the moment, getting into contact with them has been the main issue, they're in very different time zones and they don't make any effort to reach out to me or anyone on the team. I do recognize they have lives outside of modeling and what not but it wouldn't hurt to give an update to me. Also there is a bit of a language barrier, neither of them speak english as their native tongue so that hampers the process a little as well. Anyway, not here to complain to the world lol, as far as I know they've done a lot of research on the engine themselves and seem confident in their ability so I hope it pans out in the end!

It is nice to hear from  you again, wanted to ask you where your mod is hosted so we can look at it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asterix said:

It is nice to hear from  you again, wanted to ask you where your mod is hosted so we can look at it ?

At the moment we have a github where the files are being hosted (Extremely barebones atm, I am working on cleaning up all the files so people aren't confused by my personal notes and stuff). Outside of that we also have a trello where we have general ideas posted and we also have a discord but that is used solely for team communication and isn't going to be available to the public until we set it up so that its a lot friendlier for people to look at and not so overwhelming. I'll post a link to the trello below so people can have an idea of what we're doing, at the moment, I am cleaning up the github and all the files I have so it makes more sense and I will post a link to that within the next week or two provided life gives me the time that I need.

Trello: https://trello.com/b/ZJN7iKt0/amindale

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends! Another update on the mod! Progress has unfortunately been super, super slow. With all this corona virus stuff going on and the whole world entering a shutdown, and my own life going all over the place I haven't found a good amount of time where I could put in substantial work to the mod. Sadly the artists we found ended up disappearing with this whole crazy stuff going on and getting into contact with them has been pretty impossible. The mod isn't dead, just the world is working against us but we are pushing through it! We'll get out of this rut one way or another. I never got around to actually fixing up the files for git-hub either and am not sure when I'll be able to find some good time to work on the mod, life is crazy atm as it probably is for everyone during these times. As it stands the mod is kind of on a semi-hold until we can get our lives together! But I am always working on it at least a teeny bit. Please stay safe out there friends!

1 minute ago, DeadTom said:

Hello friends! Another update on the mod! Progress has unfortunately been super, super slow. With all this corona virus stuff going on and the whole world entering a shutdown, and my own life going all over the place I haven't found a good amount of time where I could put in substantial work to the mod. Sadly the artists we found ended up disappearing with this whole crazy stuff going on and getting into contact with them has been pretty impossible. The mod isn't dead, just the world is working against us but we are pushing through it! We'll get out of this rut one way or another. I never got around to actually fixing up the files for git-hub either and am not sure when I'll be able to find some good time to work on the mod, life is crazy atm as it probably is for everyone during these times. As it stands the mod is kind of on a semi-hold until we can get our lives together! But I am always working on it at least a teeny bit. Please stay safe out there friends!

Hey,

That's sad to hear, but nice to know you haven't given up yet.  Stay safe too!

• Like 2

Hello friends! This may be a bit sad to hear for some and maybe good news to hear for others but, my team and I came to the decision that we can't create the kind of experience we want to create in 0 A.D. and simply confine our idea to a mod for the game. We want to create something that is pretty different than what we are able to create with 0 A.D. and with that I would like to say that Amindale is being moved into being created as an actual game rather than a mod. We're still deciding what engine we want to work in and stuff like that but I think this might be the last post I make here which is pretty sad for me.. however, if you want to stay updated on the game I can continue to make posts here as usual but I don't want to break any rules or anything like that! Thank you all for sticking by this little project of mine, it really means a lot that other people out there were at least somewhat interested in what we were doing! I know we didn't have much to show for our efforts but what can ya do, stuff never really panned out for us in the arts department though now we've found some good people! Thank you again and have a wonderful day/evening!

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, DeadTom said:

Hello friends! This may be a bit sad to hear for some and maybe good news to hear for others but, my team and I came to the decision that we can't create the kind of experience we want to create in 0 A.D. and simply confine our idea to a mod for the game. We want to create something that is pretty different than what we are able to create with 0 A.D. and with that I would like to say that Amindale is being moved into being created as an actual game rather than a mod. We're still deciding what engine we want to work in and stuff like that but I think this might be the last post I make here which is pretty sad for me.. however, if you want to stay updated on the game I can continue to make posts here as usual but I don't want to break any rules or anything like that! Thank you all for sticking by this little project of mine, it really means a lot that other people out there were at least somewhat interested in what we were doing! I know we didn't have much to show for our efforts but what can ya do, stuff never really panned out for us in the arts department though now we've found some good people! Thank you again and have a wonderful day/evening!

I guess we wish you all the luck and hopefully see you here some other time in future.