Discuss/Brainstorm Ideas for Lobby Improvements [LOBBY] (We need you!)

Stockfish

Hello all 0 A.D. community =)

I'm doing this post with some possibles A24 changes.

We need your help to apport ideas. Let's do all of us a big brainstorming!

I've been talking to @user1 and we got some interesting possible changes.

1) Lobby changes:

Lobby could be divided into sublobbies

Spoiler

On 1/27/2020 at 3:01 PM, Stockfish said:

I think that is not a secret that lobby style is too old. Maybe should be changed for something  more ''atractive''

What i propose is to make a big lobby where all players are there chatting or just being, and then 3 sublobbys (maybe more or less depending of the wellness of your ideas)

- Team Games Lobby:      As the name shows, a lobby to play multiplayer games

- Rated 1v1 Lobby:           As the name shows a lobby to play 1v1 rated

- Casual Games Lobby:   As the name shows a lobby to play non rated 1v1s

Ok, let's do here another way, a way where there is a rating in TGs. (We'll talk about this in some time)

In case that there is a possible TGs rating, the Casual Games Lobby would be to play TGs and 1v1s unrated.

I'll let design stuff to you,  think about some ideas and coment them!!

Spoiler

On 6/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, HMS-Surprise said:

Is it possible to add a prefix to the players who want to be coach. Something like mods have "@" but different one, easy to recognise. Therefore, we can introduce that we have coaches in the lobby

2) Rating System Changes 

There could be 'seasons'. After a season, user's ratings could be reset.

Spoiler

1) Making seasons. Yes, making for example 3 mounths seasons and when season ends, restart the points in new season to the initial ones. I propose to start with 1600 points. 

Leagues that depend on your rank.

Spoiler

2) Making a League Mode. This is handed with the first point, and in my opinion is the most atractive point. Why not making Rated Games Lobby a league mode, having a league

depending of your rating. I give you an example:

Wood League: (-1400) - Stone League: (1400-1600) - Bronze League: (1600-1800) - Silver League: (1800-1950) - Golden League: (1950-2100) - Platinun League (2100-2250)

Diamond League: (2250-2350)    /// Here, we would be at 1730 ratting more or less, which is a strong rating. Top 23 now. So, we could make a Pre Master league.

Candidate Master: (2350-2450) - Master League: (2450-2600) - Grand Master League: (2600+)

Obviously, designers should make an animation showed after each rated game with an experience bar with rating, that is filled or emtied acording if you win or lose. At the left with the current                      league, and at the right with the upper league. I don't know if you understand what i mean.

Your rank could be displayed with an insignia.

Spoiler

3) Giving some insignias: Before the nickname of each player, you could have some insignia depending of your rank, i thought in having your League's shield until you're Master or Grand                              Master, that you would have a yellow RM (Rating Master) or a GM (Grand Master).

For example: GM elexis (2741)    Sorry @elexis haha :)

Maybe titles like GM or RM should stay forever, becouse it's suposed that only 12 players as much would get them in all seasons. Or maybe it should last just the current season and the                           next. Brainstorm guys =D

3) Player Names:

Your rating could be displayed as a rank instead.

Spoiler

we got the conclusion that maybe removing the rating of the players, just showing the insignia and the nickname would be a good          idea and if you click one player, in his profile you can find its own rating. In my opinion i would let the rating too in names.

4) Player's Profiles:

Profile data

Spoiler

What you think about this: When you click in a player, you can see, Name, Rank, League, W/L and the flag of the country. You like the idea?

Greetings.

Stockfish

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

MORE IDEAS:

Creating a Multiplayer Lobby Website (https://lobby.wildfiregames.com)

Suppress spam of ping sound when someone mentions your name too much

Useful information:

Ticket Summary Owner Type Status Priority Milestone
#2543 Allow users to change account password   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4509 Patch ejabberd to allow registration of two accounts before registration_timeout applies   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4609 Chat notification if buddies join games   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#4710 Save passwords in OS keyring   defect new If Time Permits Backlog
#5634 Rating lobby bot should react to closed SQL connection   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#2448 Display gameplay statistics from the lobby on a website Josh enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2449 Store more lobby user statistics into the database.   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2489 Lobby subject should be translated.   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#2516 Expand Rating System   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#3389 Lobby - allow reconnect without returning to the main menu   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#3739 [PATCH] Lobby - late-observer-join flag   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#4159 Lobby buddy list   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#4203 Implement PubSub (XEP-0060) for GameList, and BoardList   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#4858 More Buttons With New Options For Lobby Should have to land fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4974 Lobby connect on startup fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4979 Changing default sort order to buddy in lobby and make more columns sorting possible fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#5067 Display victory conditions (and probably more settings) in lobby   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#5344 Lobby server/account UI   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#5347 Lobby chatlog status discovery   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#4978 Presence Dropdown In Lobby And Auto Away Settable fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O task assigned Should Have Work In Progress

Spoiler

Edited by user1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

1) Lobby changes:

I think that is not a secret that lobby style is too old. Maybe should be changed for something  more ''atractive''

What i propose is to make a big lobby where all players are there chatting or just being, and then 3 sublobbys (maybe more or less depending of the wellness of your ideas)

- Team Games Lobby:      As the name shows, a lobby to play multiplayer games

- Rated 1v1 Lobby:           As the name shows a lobby to play 1v1 rated

- Casual Games Lobby:   As the name shows a lobby to play non rated 1v1s

Ok, let's do here another way, a way where there is a rating in TGs. (We'll talk about this in some time)

In case that there is a possible TGs rating, the Casual Games Lobby would be to play TGs and 1v1s unrated.

I'll let design stuff to you,  think about some ideas and coment them!!

2) Ratting System Changes

Well, probably we all can accord that nowadays there is nothing that makes people play rated games, excepting the own points. Maybe it's not enough, maybe not, is not.

I propose (as i accorded to @user1) to make a new Ratting System to make people play rated games, and to make this game more atractive.

What you think about this:

1)  Making seasons

. Yes, making for example 3 mounths seasons and when season ends, restart the points in new season to the initial ones. I propose to start with 1600 points. 

2) Making a League Mode. This is handed with the first point, and in my opinion is the most atractive point. Why not making Rated Games Lobby a league mode, having a league

depending of your rating. I give you an example:

Wood League: (-1400) - Stone League: (1400-1600) - Bronze League: (1600-1800) - Silver League: (1800-1950) - Golden League: (1950-2100) - Platinun League (2100-2250)

Diamond League: (2250-2350)    /// Here, we would be at 1730 ratting more or less, which is a strong rating. Top 23 now. So, we could make a Pre Master league.

Candidate Master: (2350-2450) - Master League: (2450-2600) - Grand Master League: (2600+)

Obviously, designers should make an animation showed after each rated game with an experience bar with rating, that is filled or emtied acording if you win or lose. At the left with the current                      league, and at the right with the upper league. I don't know if you understand what i mean.

3) Giving some insignias: Before the nickname of each player, you could have some insignia depending of your rank, i thought in having your League's shield until you're Master or Grand                              Master, that you would have a yellow RM (Rating Master) or a GM (Grand Master).

For example: GM elexis (2741)    Sorry @elexis haha :)

Maybe titles like GM or RM should stay forever, becouse it's suposed that only 12 players as much would get them in all seasons. Or maybe it should last just the current season and the                           next. Brainstorm guys =D

3) Player Names:

@user1 told me that he doesn't want to overcharge names, so we got the conclusion that maybe removing the rating of the players, just showing the insignia and the nickname would be a good          idea and if you click one player, in his profile you can find its own rating. In my opinion i would let the rating too in names.

4) Player's Profiles:

What you think about this: When you click in a player, you can see, Name, Rank, League, W/L and the flag of the country. You like the idea?

I have more ideas that will be posted with time. Mates! share your ideas and let's make 0 A.D. bigger!! Let's make a brainstorming.

Greetings.

Stockfish

• Like 6

• user1 changed the title to Discuss/Brainstorm Ideas for Lobby Improvements
  • user1 pinned this topic
  • user1 changed the title to Discuss/Brainstorm Ideas for Lobby Improvements [LOBBY] (We need you!)

@Rahmsauce

I have been enjoying 0. A.D for quite a while (I played it for many years but only recently played under this alias and more actively/consistently in the community).

Previously I have played some open source games among Xonotics, which have an amazing competitive platform for their players.

I am kind of a techie and think it would be a great-to-have thing for 0. A.D as well. I imagine (as a minimum for launch):

- a list of the players and their ranking / statistics such as captured by the Ranking bot

- a list of game stats of previous games (who played with whom)

- a possibility to upload / hyperlink recaps from aforementioned games

There may be more things that are amazing (such as: lobby-preview, queue-for-join, matchmaking) but they are more complicated and outside of the reach what can be done in a simple manner in few hours of work.

I would love such a platform so I can more easily find replays which allows me (and other newcomers) to become better in the game.

I have studied the source code of the lobby and know that is done in XMPP (with custom stanzas). This however is a bit sub-optimal because it would require extensive polling from the lobby server to get accurate stats. I am hoping that there is a way to retrieve a read-only copy of the rating data set somehow (let me know!).

Please give me some feedback on whether this would be appreciated in the 0. A.D community, and if it is, whom I would need to talk to to make it happen!

All the best,

Rahmsauce

• 2 weeks later...

I've proposed this already sometime ago:

how about an additional function similar to the buddy or friend-thing that would allow you to mark other players as "notfriends" - the idiot-button, kinda? ...you know, so you can designate players with whom you've had bad experienes like quitting, toxic behavoir etc. I play occasionally and i recognise a lot of aliases, but after a few months it's hard to remember things - like "do i remeber this guy because we had a fun game, or because he was a total @#$% last time?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

What i would like to see appear on the lobby.

1) The possibility of changing your password. And link account with email adresse if we want.

2)Create a profil system

It like Curriculum vitæ of the player which takes on several aspects (games, social, description)

With 2 facets ( 1 public and 1 private (only friend players can read the private facet)

On account public

Highest rating reached since account creation

Old league/rated at each end of season (for example season 1 : 1450 season 2 : 1515 season 3 : 1507)

Number of matches played this season

Victory rate

The last thress name’s opponents faced in 1 vs 1 (little historic)

On the private profile

Last login date

Comment: The player can write a few lines on him, a social network, if he is absent, two or three lines on him, whatever he wants.

The player selects the logos of his favorite civilization

3) The possibility of private messaging, create 0AD discussion groups? (but beware of cheating with specs etc)

4)Extend the possibility of marking players as friend but also favorités, undesirable and block

5) Make the rated system more dynamic

League system with limited spot, and internal ranking for each league ?

for example (name to be determinated)

Non Classé

Recrue (Fer) (> 1200 and having played 3 games rated)

Soldat (Bronze)TOP 601 à 1500)

Mercenaire (Silver) (TOP 251 à 600)

Vétéran (Or)(TOP 101 à 250)

Duelliste (Platinium)(TOP 51 à 100)

Gladiateur (Diamond) (TOP 16 à 50 places)

Général (Gladiateur) (TOP 6 à 15)

Empereur(Master) (TOP 2 à 6)

Dieu (Grand Master) (TOP 1 )

Only can play against adjacent leagues (or win 0 loose 0), for the TOP 1 he can play vs also Général because Empereur can dodge)

The league is based on the player's rating.

Features

Show the league to which one belongs (in the form of a badge in front of the name? Or color on the nickname, which implies a choice of color for each league)

Inactivity clause? from a veteran, beyond 3 months of inactivity in rated, you lose 1% of your points every month?

Season : 6 month périods ? then Season 1 season 2 season 3 etc... /// then all players mercenary loose 1 league and all veteran, duelliste, gladiateur, général, empereur, god go to mercenary league with reset of rating with the number of rating of the first mercenary. 

For example if the first of mercenary league have 1510 rating, all players > mercenary go to 1510 rating at end of season

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 12:25, Dakara said:

Hola a todos,

Lo que me gustaría ver aparecer en el vestíbulo.

1) La posibilidad de cambiar su contraseña. Y vincular la cuenta con la dirección de correo electrónico si queremos.

2) Crear un sistema de perfiles

Es como el Curriculum vitae del jugador que toma varios aspectos (juegos, social, descripción)

Con 2 facetas (1 pública y 1 privada (solo los jugadores amigos pueden leer la faceta privada)

En cuenta publica

La calificación más alta alcanzada desde la creación de la cuenta

Liga antigua / clasificada en cada final de temporada (por ejemplo, temporada 1: 1450 temporada 2: 1515 temporada 3: 1507)

Número de partidos jugados esta temporada

Tasa de victoria

Los oponentes del último nombre del jugador enfrentados en 1 vs 1 (poco histórico)

En el perfil privado

Última fecha de inicio de sesión

Comentario: El jugador puede escribir algunas líneas en él, una red social, si está ausente, dos o tres líneas en él, lo que quiera.

El jugador selecciona los logotipos de su civilización favorita.

3) La posibilidad de mensajería privada, crear grupos de discusión 0AD? (pero tenga cuidado de hacer trampa con especificaciones, etc.)

4) Extiende la posibilidad de marcar a los jugadores como amigos, pero también favorités, indeseables y bloquear

5) Haga que el sistema calificado sea más dinámico

¿Sistema de liga con lugar limitado y clasificación interna para cada liga?

por ejemplo (nombre por determinar)

Non Classé

Recrue (Fer) (> 1200 y haber jugado 3 juegos clasificados)

Soldat (Bronce) TOP 601 à 1500)

Mercenaire (Plata) (TOP 251 à 600)

Vetéran (Or) (TOP 101 à 250)

Duelliste (Platinium) (TOP 51 à 100)

Gladiateur (Diamante) (TOP 16 à 50 lugares)

Général (Gladiateur) (TOP 6 à 15)

Empereur (Maestro) (TOP 2 à 6)

Dieu (Gran Maestro) (TOP 1)

Solo puede jugar contra ligas adyacentes (o ganar 0 suelto 0), para el TOP 1 puede jugar contra Général también porque Empereur puede esquivar)

La liga se basa en la calificación del jugador.

Características

Muestre la liga a la que pertenece (en forma de una insignia delante del nombre o color en el apodo, lo que implica una elección de color para cada liga)

Cláusula de inactividad? de un veterano, más allá de 3 meses de inactividad en la calificación, ¿pierde el 1% de sus puntos cada mes?

Temporada: períodos de 6 meses? luego Temporada 1 temporada 2 temporada 3 etc ... /// entonces todos los jugadores mercenarios pierden 1 liga y todos los veteranos, duelliste, gladiateur, général, empereur, dios van a la liga mercenaria con el reinicio de la calificación con el número de calificación de la primera mercenario. 

Por ejemplo, si el primero de la liga mercenaria tiene una calificación de 1510, todos los jugadores> mercenarios van a una calificación de 1510 al final de la temporada

i really like your rating system :) 

• 1 month later...

Hi
I've just played my first ranking match (which was a clear victory). I wonder if it could be possible to rank IA too. It would help me to see if an opponent of rank (1000) is challenged by easy/medium AI or rolls on hard/very hard oponents. Maybe, we could even count matches agains AI in the ranking before the first multiplayer one?

Besides, team ranking would be a great addition for familly player's like I'm.

• Like 1

I'd like to know the record against the players I've played already. 

Would be nice as well to make some personal lists of players, so we could "blacklist" some players we don't like to play against with or like, whatever :D Even when they are not online. Like friends as well. Now, we see the dot when they are online of course, but would be cool to find them even when they are not here. 

The possibility as well to send private message in the lobby would be useful, instead of creating a game to talk :) 

I really like the ideas of leagues that was talked about. But I think it should be longer than 3 months. If we are having record of our results, imagine after few years, there is gonna be a lot in a player profile. I guess some stuff can be made to open/close the historic so the main thing is not overwhelmed. Just a point of vigilance.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The Lobby really needs a choice password protected rooms. Best can do at the moment is write "private room" in the title at the moment and hope someone doesn't join but half the time people aren't reading the room title for some reason and just come in anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

All of these changes are pointless until You will fix IP address leaks. Nowadays game is unplayable because someone is making DDOS attacks on player who's hosting the game. I'm not the security expert or something but You really need to make a closed source function built in lobby that will encrypt/decrypt IP addresses because people will simply start leaving the game because noone is happy when hes not able to finish the game on which he spends hours on.

Best regards,

Daniel_King.

• 3 months later...

What if there was a browser-based lobby that launches the game client from the browser?  Sort of like the MS gaming zone from 96 or "quake live-like".  Additionally, this may even make it easier to launch the game with specific mods - instead of having the user add mods and try troubleshooting it.

Another reason for this is that it will allow for easier feature implementation into the webclient.  For example, better tourney management, ranking for different ways to see which is best.  Such features would be difficult to implement into a stand-alone client.  Taking this a step further, it can even integrate with a forum so same accounts are used.

Additionally, a browser-based lobby may permit for better moderation for preventing ddos and/or foul language.  Why?  Because changes can be made independent of the alpha release.  Additionally, this could maybe make it possible to provide "paid hosting" by Wildfire for 0ad.  How?  Private hosting rooms, etc.

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am not sure how prevalent the ddos is anymore, but I know that sometimes having a password seemed to help. I am wondering if there could be a feature where you could write the password on a parentheses portion of the hosted game name, example  [ breakfastburrito's game(archies) ]. When the game starts, the parentheses section is no longer visible. If ddos were to get worse perhaps this is a feature multiplayer hosters could use for a little extra protection depending on how the ddoser is attacking. I don't know much about ddos, but a while ago @Dizaka told me he thought it was a good idea. 

@BreakfastBurrito_007, they are implementing better alternatives :P

On 20/05/2021 at 12:00 PM, BreakfastBurrito_007 said:

I am not sure how prevalent the ddos is anymore, but I know that sometimes having a password seemed to help. I am wondering if there could be a feature where you could write the password on a parentheses portion of the hosted game name, example  [ breakfastburrito's game(archies) ]. When the game starts, the parentheses section is no longer visible. If ddos were to get worse perhaps this is a feature multiplayer hosters could use for a little extra protection depending on how the ddoser is attacking. I don't know much about ddos, but a while ago @Dizaka told me he thought it was a good idea. 

see

On 23/04/2021 at 4:24 PM, nani said:

at 

Edited by Dizaka

• 5 months later...

One suggestion to add is to have centralised servers for Rated games, or a way to still get rating if someone leaves the lobby, if someone leaves the game it will give them a warning (if you do not join back with-in 15 minutes you will automatically forfeit) and/or a way to end game as a draw so no-one wins

On 25/08/2018 at 4:44 PM, user1 said:

MORE IDEAS:

Creating a Multiplayer Lobby Website (https://lobby.wildfiregames.com)

Suppress spam of ping sound when someone mentions your name too much

Useful information:

Ticket Summary Owner Type Status Priority Milestone
#2543 Allow users to change account password   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4509 Patch ejabberd to allow registration of two accounts before registration_timeout applies   defect new Should Have Backlog
#4609 Chat notification if buddies join games   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#4710 Save passwords in OS keyring   defect new If Time Permits Backlog
#5634 Rating lobby bot should react to closed SQL connection   defect new Nice to Have Backlog
#2448 Display gameplay statistics from the lobby on a website Josh enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2449 Store more lobby user statistics into the database.   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#2489 Lobby subject should be translated.   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#2516 Expand Rating System   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#3389 Lobby - allow reconnect without returning to the main menu   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#3739 [PATCH] Lobby - late-observer-join flag   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#4159 Lobby buddy list   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#4203 Implement PubSub (XEP-0060) for GameList, and BoardList   enhancement new Must Have Backlog
#4858 More Buttons With New Options For Lobby Should have to land fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4974 Lobby connect on startup fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#4979 Changing default sort order to buddy in lobby and make more columns sorting possible fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O enhancement assigned Should Have Work In Progress
#5067 Display victory conditions (and probably more settings) in lobby   enhancement new Should Have Backlog
#5344 Lobby server/account UI   enhancement new Nice to Have Backlog
#5347 Lobby chatlog status discovery   enhancement new If Time Permits Backlog
#4978 Presence Dropdown In Lobby And Auto Away Settable fpre_O_O_O_O_O_O task assigned Should Have Work In Progress

Reveal hidden contents

I suppse making a URI and discord rich presence mod would be great, anyone in on this (if you're good at JS) respond to this post @badosu