nearly everyone having trouble with joining hosts

vinme

so many ppl have trouble joining certain hosts with or without stun you would think before literally any game developement this woud be fixed.most of the time there is a way by making a certain person host or asking someone who isnt even playing to host  but its always uncomfortable and annoying.im not a coder but i dont get whats so difficult to fix that for years now there is this issue and many players cannot play together because of this problem with inability to join certain hosts.is there any fix?

• Like 1

The game works with UDP. It relies on STUN for traversing NATs. Unfortunately, STUN cannot traverse all NATs. And with current trends on IPv4 exhaustion rates and IPv6 adoption rates, you can expect more and more NATs to emerge. i. e, I expect the problem to get worse.

i dont understand anything youve said i dont know anything about information transfer online i guess ill have to check wiki i dont think i will but i want to as this problem not bieng fixed let alone getting worse cant be an option.how do literally all other online games do it? when they dont have such obviously stupid issues

• Like 1

Hello @vinme,

Thanks for giving us your opinion on the matter. As you may know this game development is not like any other game development where people are paid to work on specific issues. We are all currently, (might change in the future) volunteers, doing this on our free time to the best of our ability.  Programming is a wide area, requiring a lot of different skillset. Just because you can speak a language doesn't mean you understand all the specifics. For programming it's the same, Graphics, Networking, Pathfinding, Sound, Asset Management, Gameplay, AI are all various themes that require various levels of experience.

46 minutes ago, vinme said:

how do literally all other online games do it

They have full time, paid, teams of engineers. :) There multiplayer might also different technologies and different way of connecting players.

@Lefo worked on a way to give the ability to connect more people together.

Stan so bacically a TLDR (tell me if i got anything wrong here): ppl dont get paid so everyone does what they want when contributing for free and not whats the priority and there are literally no,not even half competent people proficient in the developement team in an area that involves information transfer online.

r ppl in that area of expertise that rare not asking in game but in general like in the world.

i guess it wont get fixed and probably i wont be fixing it either id have to learn an entire field or some shlt altho idk id say theres a 1% chance of me doing it.

there are themes to this issue tho like you cannot join specific users hosts period.there are 3 situations

1.you cant join this person no matter what no matter how many times u try or whatever you do.

2.you can join but probability per attempt is like 40-99% probability depending on the player for example in M.T and my case i need like 10 tries on average to join him.

3.you can join pretty much guaranteed 100% in 1 click for example Unknown_player and my case i can join him in 1 try always