===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

36 minutes ago, m7600 said:

It doesn't seem viable... if you use Big Screenshot in the actor viewer, either: 1) the program crashes, or 2) it saves whatever you are viewing in the map editor instead of the actor viewer. And if you take a regular screenshot, it' just too low resolution... This could be mitigated if you could zoom in on the face, but I don't know how to do that (actually, I don't know if it's even possible in the actor viewer). It could be done in-game with Alt D, I suppose...

Screenshot from 2020-07-27 22-55-26.png

24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hmm, you have the old version of the game. The Alpha 24 helmets are 10x better. Also, you can find the helmet under the actor tab and take a screenshot of just that.

13 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Allright, I'll get Alpha 24. But I want my gigabytes back after A24 is released :D

Here's an example of how much better the new helmets are:

helmet_screenshot.jpg

• Like 1

As @GunChleoc said the full history is not needed by those who just want the code or art only those actively involved in development really need it to prevent conflicts and resolve them which is what the review process is created to do and currently 0AD uses Phabricator for this not GitHub's interface at all though the mods do use GitHub there review interface is fairly transparent as I'm learning from my experience as vega-strike's lead and going to our first release in 6 years.

Enjoy the Choice :)

• Like 1

It seems to be missing spec and normal, and the player color on the crest is strange Also you didn't paint over it ^^ I agree that the face is bad too, but that was to be expected. I wonder, do you think you could look into baking the faces you made on textures ?

Honestly all the previous portraits were great. Do not let a roadblock take away all you've done so far. 

23 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Baking the textures can be done, but the geometry of the MakeHuman mesh and the one from 0 AD are entirely different. So I don't know how useful the baking would be.

You can bake geometry on top of another :) (selected to active)

• Like 1

I like them. I'm not so sure about the red highlight on Harsi tho. For Craterus, I think it's a bit hard to see his face. Pretty strong shadow. Also, historically Greeks have been depicted with a very curly beard so it would be awesome to show that.

12100786-philosopher-bust-of-greek-philo

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

There was this entreprise on my feed and I think it might give ideas for the portraits.

pretty sure it's not shared licence but I found the colorisation of old statues a good idea. And why not use that as a reference for drawing that would be legal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Lol, I don't know if that's the case yet. I obviously need to improve a lot. These portraits that I'm making are just to keep the ball rolling and maybe fill in some gaps. If Wildfire wants to use them, great. If not, no problem. It's good way for me to practice anyway, and I'm learning a lot by doing them and by trying to follow the constructive critiques that have been offered (really appreciate it).

I think there is universal acclaim for your current direction. The only issue is: do you have the perseverance to do them all and maybe even redo some of the first ones once you've improved? ;) Some people, like me, are maniacs and have been at this for years. DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES? ;) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

@m7600, great work! Keep it up!

3 hours ago, m7600 said:

Kush hero Arakamani

kush_hero_arakamani_256x256.png

I should have probably told you about this, but I've been working on a painting of Arakamani for his hero portrait. 

Victor Rossi, made a stunning portrait of Amanirenas a while back:

Queen Amanirenas Kingdom of Kush Kushite monarch royal woman lady Sudan Africa History Antiquity art by Victor Rossi.jpg

Rossi's work inspired me to paint a portrait of Nastasen. (@Stan`, I adjusted levels and contrast a little, and tightened the crop. Don't know if it's worth replacing?):

King Nastasen Kushite Pharaoh Kush Hero Portrait Nubia Sudan Africa Malcolm Quartey aka Sundiata Square 2.jpg

The Amanirenas portrait has a southern Sudanese look, while Nastasen has a more central Sudanese look. So I wanted to give Arakamani a more Northern Sudanese/modern Nubian look, reflecting the diversity of Kush. I started way back in February. In hindsight, I wasn't satisfied with Nastasen's uraeus, so I spent a lot more time on Arakamani's uraeus, which in turn meant I had to spend a lot more time on all the other details as well, and 2 weeks (!) into painting the portrait, I was 85% into something that was way over my head and I had a miniature mental breakdown... lol... I have a strange relationship with my own art... But I'll finish it before Alpha 24... WIP:

Arakamani hero portrait square WIP Sundiata Malcolm Quartey art Kushite King Meroitic portrait african history Ancient Nubia.jpg

Arakamani is said to have been educated in Greek philosophy, and his rule coincides with the move of the royal seat from Napata to Meroë, and the introduction of Hellenistic influences in Kush, which is why I gave him a sort of Hellenistic looking golden laurel wreath crown, to emphasize that. Laurels are actually depicted in combination with some Meroitic crowns, but they honestly look different. Oh well...

The full portrait was supposed to depict Arakamani's massacre of the priest of Amun at Napata, after they ordered his suicide (my kind of guy):

Arakamani hero portrait P.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1