===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

Hello and thank you. Well bg sucks a bit but i'm not good with that..

The ideal must be all have their Helmets. Very nice art.

Well, i'm trying to show what they were. That's why Xenephon doesn't wear a helmet. He was more a philosopher and an historian than a soldier. But If you want all of them with helmet, tell me.

Ptolemy is on my list. I have things to do but i will try my best to do some of them.

On 12/8/2018 at 2:27 AM, Victor Rossi said:

Here's a preview of the portrait :)
There's a lot of little adjustments to be made.

The rim light on the right side is just a test, so that's why those lines are all sketchy.
What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
4_lt.png.74cd0747be17efa85aa820f3193154d1.png

@Khaabale with regard to composition and angle, I think this is the best for portraits.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Fixed what @Loki1950 pointed out in regards to Cunobelin's potrait, and I scaled it up a bit as well.

Also, I'm including here the Gaul hero Vercingetorix.
The tools, as always, are: MakeHuman, Blender, Gimp.

brit_hero_cunobelin_250x250.png

gaul_hero_vercingetorix_250x250.png

I encourage you to continue this. You can finally make all of the hero portraits consistent for the first time ever. My only critiques:

1. I think they should be wearing their head gear (Vercy needs his own helmet modeled still), and 2. make sure the outputted images are at 256x256. 

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Fixed what @Loki1950 pointed out in regards to Cunobelin's potrait, and I scaled it up a bit as well.

Also, I'm including here the Gaul hero Vercingetorix.
The tools, as always, are: MakeHuman, Blender, Gimp.

brit_hero_cunobelin_250x250.png

gaul_hero_vercingetorix_250x250.png

celtic_hero_portraits.jpg

Instead of the loud purple color in the portraits, heroes can have a nice light blue background as shown.

Boudicca there for inspiration.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Thanks! I really appreciate the vote of confidence. Don't know if I really deserve it, though. I feel like I need to improve and keep learning. Regarding consistency among the portraits, I don't necessarily think that having different images from different artists is undesirable. In fact I kind of like it that they're all different. But I'm up to the challenge of making the portraits that are still needed. What I would really like though, is to have a sort of step by step process for making these. That way anyone can make them, so you don't have to depend on one person to do them.

I think for the game to feel like a completed product that all of the portraits should have a consistent style, at least consistent within civs, but ideally consistent across the board. Yuor current technique actually looks great at the resolution used in the game, as the screenshot shows! I look forward to seeing what you do with Boudicca. Make her hair nice and red, fierce look in her eyes. :) 

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What about trying to import the helmet model from the game? They are now quite highly detailed and accurate. Since these are close ups we should have them wearing realistic gear (specially helmets). 

I was thinking the exact same thing! @Alexandermb really did a stellar job on those!

• Like 1