===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

/me doesn't want to recolor every unit portrait

16 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

The second reason it's the wrong color is because 0AD is a 3D game with assets largely made in Blender. In Blender, as well as Unity, that color is used to highlight missing texture slots, because it's so offensively loud. I

That's not really a reason is it ? Portraits are 2D art and not used in the 3D part of the viewport :)

Also I believe that's more of a 3D engine reason than a specific application.

Red is for champs green for mercenaries and blue for common folks.

19 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Fuchsia is also an effeminate color, not right for those otherwise oh so manly heroes (yes, even Boudicca and Amanirenas are both described as "masculine"). 

I get your point but I don't know if that's a good reason either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That's not really a reason is it ? Portraits are 2D art and not used in the 3D part of the viewport :)

Also I believe that's more of a 3D engine reason than a specific application.

Unless I missed something, Pyrogenesis is still a 3D engine, isn't it? 2D art with missing-texture-colors still look like missing textures. 

3 hours ago, Sundiata said:

Fuchsia is also an effeminate color, not right for those otherwise oh so manly heroes (yes, even Boudicca and Amanirenas are both described as "masculine"). 

I get your point but I don't know if that's a good reason either.

Sure it is. The heroes in 0AD were among the most badass people to ever walk the earth. I'm pretty sure they weren't prancing around in fuchsia shawls. Well, maybe Alexander the Great was, but that's a different story. 

/me doesn't want to recolor every unit portrait

I'm not saying you have to do it, or that it needs to be done right now, or even over the next year. Even if it takes a few years, I'd just like it to be noted that it's the wrong color, and should at least be changed to Tyrian purple. Who knows, I might even give it a shot if I can actually find the portraits. 

If the Thebans ever make it into the game, they'd actually offer a sublime excuse to have some bright fuchsia/pink colors. The Sacred Band of Thebes in particular would look fabulous with some fuchsia shawls. The real 300... Ironic that they were the ones to finally break the back of the Spartans. "It is said that the prancing Thebans were able to flank the Spartan army, and take them from the rear, overwhelming them with many powerful thrusts from their spears, their long shafts becoming drenched in the blood of their now submissive adversaries, begging and moaning for mercy..." (I'm sorry... I'm going to be quiet now...)

Spoiler

175076322_SacredBandofThebes2.thumb.jpg.ba5b15523e6091e7b15759e5495b95f9.jpg

Edited by Sundiata
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Sundiata said:

I'm not saying you have to do it, or that it needs to be done right now, or even over the next year. Even if it takes a few years, I'd just like it to be noted that it's the wrong color, and should at least be changed to Tyrian purple. Who knows, I might even give it a shot if I can actually find the portraits. 

Well I plan to commit dmAthena's work as soon as development is not frozen anymore ( And that her portrait is finished of course) So when I'll do so itll be better if it matches the rest :)

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Victor Rossi said:

I've done 2 quick thumbnail sketches to figure out the basic proportions and facial features.
Which one do you prefer?

Wow, fantastic! Because the Kushite Queens of this era are always depicted as "big" women, I personally prefer the one on the left... Success!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Wow, fantastic! Because the Kushite Queens of this era are always depicted as "big" women, I personally prefer the one on the left... Success!

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.
I remember you said about making her a little chubby, and it actually gives a feeling of power to her, instead of just another pretty face. I did the second one just in case :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Which helmet is she using?

don't forgot use desert kind background.

This kind of golden helmet / crown with double snakes on the forehead. The helmet is still incomplete in the sketch I posted.
I'll use a desert like palette, but I'm not sure how much information I can put in the background without overloading the image with details. I'm aiming more for the mood than acually painting pyramids or dunes.

5acf30968e291_Taharqa25thdynastymaximumextentoftheKushiteempireKushMap.thumb.jpg.75cbe6062652747859226382d9ec4ccb.jpg.b37b30fc0b83c35f0f989f7f541c6849.jpgamanirenas.jpg.084888e75522778fbf803a69d9372fcd.thumb.jpg.a337c04e0e05eaa09479deb6333f3c6e.jpg.41a75f03af48d0958124be401b0af939.jpg

• 1 month later...

@Victor Rossi Woooow :):):) I love it! That scarred eye looks badass! :) I think it looks great as it is, but if you want to push the accuracy even further,

*Puts on my Captain Nitpick-cape:

My only suggestion would be to add some more detail to the jewelry (earrings and necklace), which look a little generic now. Here are some authentic Meroitic examples:

Spoiler

1005189661_Kushiteearingsgold.thumb.jpg.a735f49d51478c55a17bb377e7386ffb.jpg

20408542_Kushiteearings.thumb.jpg.a2e5c0dd7b305a9f1548d8879f2a522b.jpg399164259_Meroiticgoldearingskush.thumb.jpg.4a418d152e71ebfa10c4be10f030bb49.jpg

Some of those actually belonged to Amanishakheto, which means they might possibly even be hand-me-downs from Amanirenas herself? Who knows?

For the necklace, take a look at the following examples:

1683872783_KushQueensJewelry.thumb.jpg.3291372dba3926c5526bf5fb0f35e4a9.jpg

1640387397_ThekingdomofKushkushitereliefcutstonewallcarvingSudanRichardLepsiusaethiopenaethiopiendenkmaelerNagaNaqaliontempleapedemakgoddessesisishathor.thumb.jpg.ffadd75d5d2f5bbef9b3b59c5707418e.jpg

1179565270_Reliefsontheliontempleinnaqa.thumb.jpg.2a163490c29d51f4aae27dd110beff6b.jpg

The Egyptian King Tutankhamun in his original state illustrate how some of those necklaces are actually separate rows of beads in combination with the large flat necklace of conjoined pieces. Just an example.

tut-19.thumb.jpg.20741262cf69f4c6ea7b85b99150eb58.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback :D 
I tried to change the background a bit to separate it from the character.

@Sundiata
I've detailed the earring using the reference you posted, but I kept the purple gem for composition and color reasons.
This necklace was the second attempt (I gave up on the first one, that's why I didn't show it), but I think it looks ok now :)

5.png.180870141e306ef8b8eb3933cd51f608.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3