===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

25 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

But Atlas might have some issues. It didn’t like the "ë" in fields of mëroe.

Meroë. File names ought to consist only of lowercase a to z and underscores, of course. Atlas does not use or display specific names or other internal strings.

28 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I believe the reason it's written in the incorrect alphabet is that it wasn't implemented at the beginning.

Or maybe it's because not everyone knows the Greek alphabet.

Besides, if Greek is written in Greek, should we also write Punic in Phoenician abjad, Persian in cuneiform, and Meroitic in hieroglyphs? And what to do with languages that didn't have their own script?

Although I consider writing Greek in Greek an improvement and happily use it in my mod, I'm not sure it's the most desireable option for 0 A.D.'s main distribution.

1 minute ago, Nescio said:

File names ought to consist only of lowercase a to z and underscores, of course. Atlas does not use or display specific names or other internal strings.

I think it was not in the filename but in the map description not sure. Because Atlas handles chars differently.

I always wondered if we could one day make it completely part of the game.

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Besides, if Greek is written in Greek, should we also write Punic in Phoenician abjad, Persian in cuneiform, and Meroitic in hieroglyphs? And what to do with languages that didn't have their own script?

True. I don't know then. I didn't find any reference to it in the wiki but I didn't really search.

1 minute ago, stanislas69 said:

I think it was not in the filename but in the map description not sure. Because Atlas handles chars differently.

I always wondered if we could one day make it completely part of the game.

Well, I don't know. Atlas has no difficulty in handling templates from my mod that include Greek specific name strings.

• Like 1

@dMAthena, if you don't mind, I also have a final suggestion. Instead of the bright purple, on her shoulder, you could put some Celtic looking fabric. Perhaps you were already planning to do that, in which case, feel free to ignore me :P 

• Like 1

I can't help it: I got a 'problem' with her eyes.

I feel like her right pupil/iris is a bit too much to the left (everything from our pov). And while the lower part of the left iris is nearly round, the right iris is cut off much more at the bottom; is that all how it should be?

Spoiler

I don't know jack about art or anatomy, so feel free to ignore this. ;)

20 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Should be purple though :) For consistency

That's a pretty odd choice. I've never seen such a color in the context of Antiquity. Consistency with what exactly? Victor Rossi's Roman hero portrait didn't have that in your face purple either and i think it looks fantastic. 

In Irish mythology, the color for kings and sovereignty is more often the red and sometimes the white. 

Purple was rare because of the difficulty to get Tyrian purple pigments (the only known pigment at this time that can stay brightful through time) 

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sundiata said:

@dMAthena, if you don't mind, I also have a final suggestion. Instead of the bright purple, on her shoulder, you could put some Celtic looking fabric. Perhaps you were already planning to do that, in which case, feel free to ignore me :P 

thank you for your feedback , no problem on my side but character in game has this purple color

Is it ok?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dMAthena said:

thank you for your feedback , no problem on my side but character in game has this purple color

Is it ok?

Your portait looks great so far, IMO a light blue (similiar to her face paint) or green might look better. This is just my opinion though.

Historically Tryrian Purple was extremely expensive to obtain (also it was restricted mostly to the middle east and nearby areas), it is highly unlikely that it was traded or obtained by the Briton tribes. https://www.ancient.eu/Tyrian_Purple/   this article sums it up nicely IMO.

Edited by Rolf Dew

The portrait has a nice aesthetic, but her facial features seem too refined, especially when contrasting with her wounds.  I would add wrinkles, and either have the makeup less clear or not there at all; her eyebrows also seem too uniform.  She had already been through a lot before rebelling, and needless to say that after she was flogged and saw her daughters raped, I'm not sure if she would have bothered much with her looks.

Then again, the art is stylised so maybe my criticisms are misplaced.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Imperator Ferrum Princeps I said:

Imo the boudica pic look good but kind of clashes with the art style of the game and rest of the updated hero portraits.

Hero portraits differ from the normal unit icons. Most are currently placeholders. After all, making a portrait like this one is a lot of work.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

The portrait has a nice aesthetic, but her facial features seem too refined, especially when contrasting with her wounds.  I would add wrinkles, and either have the makeup less clear or not there at all; her eyebrows also seem too uniform.  She had already been through a lot before rebelling, and needless to say that after she was flogged and saw her daughters raped, I'm not sure if she would have bothered much with her looks.

Then again, the art is stylised so maybe my criticisms are misplaced.

In other words she looks like posing for a fashion photography.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Pedantry. 

Purple was chosen for hero portraits to easily tell them apart from other classes of units. The ad hoc justification was that purple was seen as a royal or elite color due to its expense. Quibble about the historicity if you want to, but for gameplay purposes I think hero portraits should have some purple. The reasoning is sound.

Also, let's not pick apart every portrait for eye color and pupil shape, unless the sources specifically mention it. :P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, let's not pick apart every portrait for eye color and pupil shape, unless the sources specifically mention it.

I agree that criticisms of facial features, make-up, eyebrows or whatever are misplaced, and the portrait itself looks terrific. I wish I could one day achieve that level. I admire the artist dMAthena, and I hope that she(?) continues to make these lovely portraits for other heroes as well!

But,

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Purple was chosen for hero portraits to easily tell them apart from other classes of units. The ad hoc justification was that purple was seen as a royal or elite color due to its expense. Quibble about the historicity if you want to, but for gameplay purposes I think hero portraits should have some purple. The reasoning is sound.

It's the wrong color... Fluorescent purple/purple-pink-red/fuchsia or magenta, whatever you want to call it, is not appropriate. I mean, color theory and color psychology are a thing, and that color should throw up all kind of warning signs... It clashes badly with natural colors... I don't think man-made fuschia dyes even existed before 1859. If you insist on using purple, at least use the correct type of purple. As mentioned before, Tyrian purple is more appropriate, at least in a Greco-Roman/oriental context (not in a Celtic one, but I'll let it slide). 

The second reason it's the wrong color is because 0AD is a 3D game with assets largely made in Blender. In Blender, as well as Unity, that color is used to highlight missing texture slots, because it's so offensively loud. It stands out like a sore thumb. It literally looks like a missing texture.

Fuchsia is also an effeminate color, not right for those otherwise oh so manly heroes (yes, even Boudicca and Amanirenas are both described as "masculine"). 

In short, if you insist on using purple, at least use Tyrian purple, a color that actually existed at the time, instead of fluorescent looking colors. This doesn't just apply to Boudicca of course, but to all the hero portraits in-game.  

Spoiler

Missing-texture-slot-color really looks like it's missing a texture:

J04b40r.thumb.jpg.127b41f5bb46ae65f98e1286c9650444.jpg3fV5yrCh.png.thumb.jpeg.3e91a38f7adf449fa7cbc3664ae22d87.jpegjKanW.thumb.png.d42bc2a6d4e00252535c750ed6e67357.pngZxKSK.thumb.png.c9840cec4e3a4c2ee67b5dd8347c3db7.pngRAHJM.thumb.png.a76057d263159a43c38e1369ec9ddf45.png3d95c4a9deba3a6e871d0417b8eff047.thumb.png.c11fbb29730e77c93caf5ec2229182ee.png

31567-pink_problem.thumb.jpg.e2064850abbd32945ed55c5bd536d685.jpg86195-quickcapture.thumb.png.8d53aed5200743102a5a63546dddd444.pngUewwd.jpg.c58bd7c0b0a730084e0c511041afc8f8.jpgXBbh7.gif.4a02ae99e300df4194b59f3555429ede.gif

l4d_hospital01_apartment0002.thumb.jpg.baf75e3f05dc241bb1d35f4be1e9a09b.jpgsteamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_135782335_preview.thumb.jpg.81033657db8f441eae841842b35288d8.jpg