===[TASK]=== Improve hero portraits

Lion.Kanzen

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Lion.Kanzen Nice the crest needs to be tweaked a bit though it looks like it's not in the correct angle. 

Suggestion : you could take a screenshot in Atlas in the same angle then playing with opacity you could get the correct position of the crest and just paint over it.

Sidenote : That caros art is so great I wish the guy was still around. That's some good promotional material and it could even fit an artbook.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

@Lion.Kanzen Nice the crest needs to be tweaked a bit though it looks like it's not in the correct angle. 

Suggestion : you could take a screenshot in Atlas in the same angle then playing with opacity you could get the correct position of the crest and just paint over it.

Sidenote : That caros art is so great I wish the guy was still around. That's some good promotional material and it could even fit an artbook.

are  place holder, can be nice help me to upload in blender the helmet with same angle; thsts a limit I Have with this; this helmet haven't enough   references. even I have an idea for the name.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone you remember when that art was made? is from 2004 or later...

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've talked to @Lion.Kanzen yesterday and I'm going to collaborate with new portraits for the heroes, starting with the Romans.

Before sketching anything, I tested a few ways of portraying the characters ingame. I'm aware that there are portraits made from different artists, but I wanted to create/follow a pattern or rule to make it more consistent. 

I've tested different framing and camera angles, taking portraits from other games and pasting on top of a screenshot from 0 A.D. I'm including the full size screenshot to get a better sense of scale.
Please, let me know if you like any of them :D

The first one is my favorite, where the camera is slightly tilted upwards / looking up, giving a sense of greatness to the Hero.

I'm also aware that the portrait will get really small when multiple units are selected, so it would be a good idea to use a different background color to differentiate them from regular units. I.e.: all heroes have golden a background.

From Age of Empires 3 
zuLFuTS.jpg

Zoom:

lSlxXI8.jpg

From Total War: Rome 2

GI7UJjA.jpg

Zoom:

ZoWBGxD.jpg

From Total War: Arena

Fqubufz.jpg

Zoom:

jOWfSdJ.jpg

From Age of Empires 2

YwFZlYC.jpg

Zoom:

S5w4Gdp.jpg

@Victor Rossi Welcome to the forums and thanks for your interest :)

Looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with :)

If you have some time please take the time to present yourself and your work through and application :)

If you want your art to be committed to the main game you'll have to sign the legal waiver :) I'm sure Lion will guide you through that :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

45º like Rome TW. is fine.

Ok, I'll follow that reference as a guide then

10 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

If you have some time please take the time to present yourself and your work through and application :)

Is there a specific topic or way to do it (following a set of questions or a form)?

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I like this one very much. Maybe have his eyes looking at us?

Funny fact , the original was looking to the spectator, but... i need  a helmet. and he is focus in the battle. but I can do it a little change.

This the style.

More poligonal and more gamer.

e2024d02ee1f72d3e66e809eeaa4a610--face-reference-anatomy-reference.jpg

barb-mf-blizzcon2011.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen