Forum "reactions"

fatherbushido

Hi!

In the past, there was only one kind of reaction on the forum, perhaps was it Like. It could be confusing to give a like when something sad happens, so I guess it was thought that giving some nuances was better.

Now we have 5 choices

Thanks Thanks

Like Like

Haha Haha

Sad Sad

Confused Confused

I often see people receiving the last one, without any comments. I guess that if someone is confused, he could just ask clarifications. Last time I received it, I was really disturbed.

I really think that we could only give positive reactions. If something is not of our taste, one can just skip it or discuss about it.

Any opinion?

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

Mostly agree with @fatherbushido. More specifically the 'Confused' emoticon would be fine if it could display sthg like « Please ask clarifications ». Dunno if that's easily possible, but this way one receiving this reaction without any question wouldn't feel the need to add a post just for asking what is that he should clarify.

It's indeed much easier to express your opinion on a particular post without having to clutter the topic.

But i'm not really the confused face is actually used to express your confusion. I feel its meaning has become something like 'Wut? Why would you say such a thing?' but that might just be me lol :P 

• Like 2

I think that adding a simple dislike icon could prevent all the confusion regarding the confused or sad reactions. Sometimes you read a post so stupid that there isn't really even much to talk about. And it's not exactly making me sad; it's not preferable to let something your read on the Internet affect you happiness after all. I wouldn't say it makes me confused either. Could that be that I didn't understand that post? No, I don't think so. I see exactly what was being said and it's something I didn't like. Just let me express myself briefly and precisely.

Edited by Boudica

I think we should have more. It helps a lot to not clutter up threads and quickly gauge community response.

• Red heart button for "love"
  • Blue thumbs up for "like"

A thumbs down button theoretically sounds logical, but for psychological reasons, it might not be advised. In theory we shouldn't let online interactions determine our feelings and state of mind, but reality is a different question. I think the "confused" choice is nuanced enough to express something akin to a dislike without being too harsh.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, Stan` said:

@feneur @implodedok How much control do we have on these emoji?

100% In practice I guess the correct answer is less than that since the icons for the existing pre-made ones can be redone (and maybe could be different from theme to theme, not sure), and a future update could change the system, but in general we can use or not use as much or as little as we want of it.

As for what to use or not, I don't think I should make the decision, but I want to add my opinion: I personally like the possibility to show that I agree or appreciate something without having to take up unnecessary space or go off-topic. I do think that it should be limited to positive reactions though, for negative reactions to have a positive effect (if all you get is "I dislike this" you are unable to change or explain whatever it was that caused the reaction, so all the reaction would lead to would be to make the receiver sad) they need to be expressed in greater detail (preferably phrased more politely than "I dislike this" as well for that matter), so my preference is to keep it to positive or at the most neutral reactions. All reactions are neutral or positive in terms of how they affect the "reputation" (i.e. the little number next to the plus symbol underneath your user group and avatar), but it's of course up for debate how they affect the one receiving them, so I wouldn't say it has to be the way things are now.

• Like 2

I agree with limiting to positive reactions. I think "disliked" content should either be ignored, or require an actual response with an explanation. I don't favor a "downvote" option. I think it has its place to help suppress spam-like content, but I don't think we have nearly enough volume to even remotely need that functionality.