0 A.D. Social Media Accounts (We need you!)

Sundiata

0 A.D. Social Media Accounts (We need you!)

I’ve been given the lovely honor to curate 0AD’s social media accounts. In this capacity, I would love to invite every forum member here at the Wildfire Games Forums to take a look at our current accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Mastodon. 

As you may know, 0 A.D. is completely free, libre, open source and volunteer based. No wages are paid in the development of this game and there is no budget for marketing. Exposure for this project is made up almost entirely of word-of-mouth advertising. 

We, the fans, are the developers of this game, both here on the forum, as well as on other platforms like tracphabricator, GitHub and IRC. Together, we are all contributing towards the development of this game, however large or small those contributions may be.

Every like, comment and share contributes towards the future of this game that we have all grown to love. The more people know about this game, the higher the odds that we will attract more developers in various fields from programming to art and translations.

So, if you haven’t given these pages a visit yet, please take a look. And maybe give us a like ;)

Other media accounts worth checking out are:

Another reason I open this topic, is to receive community suggestions, feedback and comments about our accounts. And remember, there is also a lovely thread called “Your screenshots”. Don’t be shy to post some nice shots there. The ones that are exceptionally pleasing to the eye might receive a feature on our platforms.

Our current followers, January 11, 2020:

• Instagram: 3
  • Mastodon: 22
  • Twitter: 3537
  • Facebook: 11,834

As Stan` the Man aptly pointed out to me recently:

"image.png.2a2c0526048ccfd6f668da16b7ee634b.png"

Some free promotional art (Click the image, then click it again to open the original sized file in a new window):

Hero Portrait by JustinOperable, backdrop by LordGood. Ashoka the Great:

LordGood Mauryan town hero Ashoka Maurya Emperor.jpg

Hero Portrait by JustinOperable, backdrop by LordGood. Hannibal:

0AD Carthaginians LordGood promotion art Hannibal.jpg

Hero Portraits by Victor Rossi, backdrop by LordGood. Marcus Claudius Marcellus and Queen Amanirenas:

Victor Rossi LordGood Kushite Roman Hero portraits 0AD promotional art BBB.jpg

Flyer 0AD Empires ascendant 2020 B.png

Remember, 0 A.D. and the Pyrogenesis game engine aren't just free. They are libre software: 

• The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  • The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
  • The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/0ad/

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

and others YT channels.

I public some videos and for Unknown reason some fans starting to write me, i can figure this happen with our Officials Youtubers like @ValihrAnt or Tom 0 AD ..etc

can be nice share the best videos. specially great matches or new content. even Lorgood videos.

I'm open to suggestions, but we don't usually have much videos to post. And taking other people's videos sounds like a bad habit.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:46 PM, Sundiata said:

Our current followers, January 11, 2020:

• Instagram: 3
  • Mastodon: 22
  • Twitter: 3537
  • Facebook: 11,834

Our current followers, January 14, 2020:

• Instagram: 97
  • Mastodon: 99
  • Twitter: 3580
  • Facebook: 11,840

That's slightly better, and it's nice to see the appreciation for Mastodon, an open source alternative to the big social media sites. 

But we can still do a lot better than that. Come on my fellow forumites, let's push those numbers!

0AD Empires ascendant Needs you leonidas recruitment poster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Lion.Kanzen, I'd love to share more videos, but Ideally they should have the highest graphics settings enabled, which isn't often the case. (not really the fault of the video-makers, because they have to make a choice between fps and graphics settings which means graphic settings usually loose out. Ideally we need more optimizations to the game so that average machines can play with high graphics settings as well)  

Are the reddit and discord channels official? because I assumed they were self regulated kind of things.

11 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

0AD Empires ascendant Needs you leonidas recruitment poster.jpg

I love it :D

4 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Are the reddit and discord channels official? because I assumed they were self regulated kind of things.

Reddit not really but we can ask them.

For discord not at all. We had one attempt at an official one but it wasn't successful because of privacy constraints.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

If I recall correctly, it wasn't discord being evil that derailed the whole thing. I assumed the concern was that IRC users don't get to agree to the evil policy in the first place.

If the matrix bridge didn't exist, there is nothing against discord. All participants would have agreed to terms.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2021 at 7:52 AM, smiley said:

If I recall correctly, it wasn't discord being evil that derailed the whole thing. I assumed the concern was that IRC users don't get to agree to the evil policy in the first place.

If the matrix bridge didn't exist, there is nothing against discord. All participants would have agreed to terms.

All big tech are very evil. In the end they are all corporations that join other corporations and become bigger than even the countries themselves.

On 09/03/2021 at 12:56 AM, azayrahmad said:

I noticed that in YouTube, 0 A.D is not yet listed as a game, so it can't be shown in game category like this:

image.png.8381495805adb43d6da3829a8bf0b179.png

Anyone knows how to add 0 A.D. to YouTube listing?

It's wierd, mate, 0AD used to be there, it vanished a few weeks back and I have no idea why! 

On 09/03/2021 at 1:56 AM, azayrahmad said:

Anyone knows how to add 0 A.D. to YouTube listing?

This is the only answer I could find
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42610756/register-new-game-for-youtube-gaming

So maybe a problem with the wiki page, or the play0ad homepage has metadata in the wrong format.

Or google just changed their algorithm.

• Like 1

Shall we make posters of 0AD and post them on Instagram and other social media platforms? This should gain us some recognition and attract more players?

I can start spamming Instagram with 0AD content and I will tell my friends to do the same as well. 

I also think it would be a good idea to make a 0AD group chat on Instagram and Discord (or snapchat etc) for players who use them?

• Like 3

There are several 0 AD groups already on discord.

https://discord.gg/ztUnc2dg

https://discord.gg/xgpMArvu

https://discord.gg/jywnFzFA

And several others

Those are all private though, it would be good to have attention not divided amongst all of them and have something like a "offical 0 AD discord group" by wildfire games, which is linked of Wildfiregames social media, website etc. new people wont usually search whole forum to find some links. There sharepics/posters announcements text, post etc could be posted by ppl with such skills and then added to other platforms by private people.  You could post news about tournaments hosted, games dev news, new alphas, screenshots, etc. which is partially happening already on 0 AD Fb, but all could use content and spread elswhere.

• Like 1