===[COMMITTED]=== Iberian Unit Textures

wackyserious

@TKogumelos is this clothing pattern exclusive to the Balearics? Or did Iberians also used stripe clothing patterns?

DgIr9.jpg

Could you also check if these clothing details and patterns are accurate for Iberian culture, since these are the current textures that we use for the Iberians

1.) The typical type we see in depictions

FILAeyrUUAAA28V?format=jpg&name=medium

2.) Meander patterns

FIK-0FGUYAIDUjk?format=jpg&name=medium

3.) Dyed short and long sleeved tunics

FILAeyvUUAA6c-r?format=jpg&name=medium

@TKogumelos

As for the helmets, I think if we can reduce the shine/spec for helmet I it looks like leather, maybe I can recolor it also and create lighter leather tones from it.

helmet I, helmet III, helmet IV and helmet V on the other hand are ones that are depicted as metal objects, what are your suggestions? Are they also supposed to be made out of organic material such as leather?

010722 - Iberians (2).jpg

18 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Also changed the footwear from laced boots into slip on boots and footwear with animal footwraps around it.

010722 - Iberians.jpg

uJadtOG.jpg.2b1535cd59d249a218d32eebe6d07103.jpg

34. Looks really similar to the Montefortino helmet that the Rome faction use in the game, should we use it instead of the Gallic montefortino above or can those two be used interchangeably? 

33 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

The Celtic montefortino isnt widespread in the Iberian peninsula. The Celtiberians never used it, only the Iberians of the North-East like the Illergetae. 

So we'd go with the Roman type? and maybe mix a small variant chance for the Gallic type?

Going back this somehow brings back the issue with the Iberian faction being a combined representation of different cultures, in my mind right now, I thought we are striving towards making this faction as a defined Iberian faction with proper representation of Celtiberians, since the faction structures and majority of the units are going towards an Iberian identity

14 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@TKogumelos is this clothing pattern exclusive to the Balearics? Or did Iberians also used stripe clothing patterns?

DgIr9.jpg

Could you also check if these clothing details and patterns are accurate for Iberian culture, since these are the current textures that we use for the Iberians

1.) The typical type we see in depictions

FILAeyrUUAAA28V?format=jpg&name=medium

2.) Meander patterns

FIK-0FGUYAIDUjk?format=jpg&name=medium

3.) Dyed short and long sleeved tunics

FILAeyvUUAA6c-r?format=jpg&name=medium

@wackyseriousThe stripe pattern was introduced in the Balearic Islands by the Phoenicians according to Strabo. 

Iberians used other type of stripe pattern composed by two red lines. 

DZvs5.thumb.jpg.5ce4e90a7f9933033949648bc7b4baae.jpg

South-eastern Iberian burial by José Luís García Moran already 4th century BC. 

Edited by TKogumelos
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@Genava55 @TKogumelos What about metal ornaments on leather helmets, like the one above?

@wackyseriousMaybe less decorated, perhaps more something like this:

Screenshot_20220107_182903.jpg.616d53fe8ac18cb48ea4e6bb8c5a65c0.jpg

but also it were found metal crests for leather helmets. 

dOiY0.thumb.jpg.387efd87aef674f2ff852d5bb90737c4.jpg

Different types of southeastern Iberian infantry during the 4th century BC.
Source: "Weapons, warriors and battles of the Ancient Iberia" Quesada Sanz. 2010

48Thumb.jpg.fd5a3a75e45c81159a4350d8016f9b30.jpg

Crest of El cigarralejo dated about the early 4th century BC

Edited by TKogumelos
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

So we'd go with the Roman type? and maybe mix a small variant chance for the Gallic type?

Going back this somehow brings back the issue with the Iberian faction being a combined representation of different cultures, in my mind right now, I thought we are striving towards making this faction as a defined Iberian faction with proper representation of Celtiberians, since the faction structures and majority of the units are going towards an Iberian identity

@wackyseriousMaybe mix in the same faction Iberians from the north and the south? The use of metal helmets is somewhat later but I think we can give ourselves a little "creative license"

aRrZN.thumb.jpg.9805ff16ca3b84d2de0e84de695b97ff.jpg

North-Eastern Iberian warrior of the mid-3rd century BC. (*Through the gauls the north-east Iberians also adopted the long shields and straight swords.) 

Edited by TKogumelos
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wackyserious said:

uJadtOG.jpg.2b1535cd59d249a218d32eebe6d07103.jpg

34. Looks really similar to the Montefortino helmet that the Rome faction use in the game, should we use it instead of the Gallic montefortino above or can those two be used interchangeably? 

@wackyseriousThe problem is bronze montefortinoes were introduced in the Peninsula by the Carthaginians during the Punic wars. 

Edited by TKogumelos

7 hours ago, TKogumelos said:

The problem is bronze montefortinoes were introduced in the Peninsula by the Carthaginians during the Punic wars. 

The breastplate (cardiophylax) is also something from an earlier period right? Not in use anymore during the Punic Wars?

12 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

The breastplate (cardiophylax) is also something from an earlier period right? Not in use anymore during the Punic Wars?

For who? I think there many depictions of the cardiophylax still in use by the Romans, but I am not sure about what primary sources there are. There's the famous triple-disk cardiophylax found in North Africa (?).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For who? I think there many depictions of the cardiophylax still in use by the Romans, but I am not sure about what primary sources there are. There's the famous triple-disk cardiophylax found in North Africa (?).

For the Romans they definitely are using it during the Punic Wars, Polybius mentioned it explicitly. But for the Iberians and Celtiberians, according to the articles above, the evidence for breastplates seems to stop both in the archaeological records and artistic depictions at the beginning of the 3rd c. BC.

• Like 2