===[COMMITTED]=== Iberian Unit Textures

wackyserious

Yeah, the bottom part was an interpretation of an elaborately woven fabric when zoomed in. I could try and experiment for more possible interpretations.

Greek armor could have been possibly imported or looted right? There are nearby Greek trading outposts on the coast by that period. So it is safe to use linothorax or even greek fashioned pteruges? The same way applies for Celtic chainmail right?

12 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Yeah, the bottom part was an interpretation of an elaborately woven fabric when zoomed in. I could try and experiment for more possible interpretations.

Greek armor could have been possibly imported or looted right? There are nearby Greek trading outposts on the coast by that period. So it is safe to use linothorax or even greek fashioned pteruges? The same way applies for Celtic chainmail right?

I think it's possible to have mail and linothorax in small numbers for high ranking Iberian units.

Cart mercenaries could have some as well.

A couple examples from EB twitter:

EVoDoqVUUAQzQBk?format=jpg&name=medium

EaJagiNXkAA3nlr?format=jpg&name=large

EaJadfOXQAAkFAR?format=jpg&name=large

EaOP8H4WsAAWXzT?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Thanks 1

On 26/10/2020 at 4:02 AM, wackyserious said:

eo8R40C.jpg.c4d55441ec6945a9fdd40a5df9f1

102620 - Iberians (2).jpg

A actor file concept for Caros, one of the heroes of the faction. The texture and props for the unit are outdated.

Tagging @Genava55 and other individuals who might want to help in updating the hero actor file.

He was a Celtiberian leader, i think he could have mail or a breastplate with a local variant of Chalcidian helm.

EVFcH7KUEAIsfRX?format=png&name=900x900

EVFcPYeUMAIU-20?format=png&name=900x900

EVFdViFU0AIaAGh?format=png&name=small

EQ_q91EW4AUI-2G?format=png&name=small

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

As far as i know there is not evidence for using two swords at a time, i think it would be better to have only one.

The color of the clothes is a bit similar to the Cardiophylax strap (makes it looks like his tunic is made of leather).

4 hours ago, Ultimate Aurelian said:

As far as i know there is not evidence for using two swords at a time, i think it would be better to have only one.

The color of the clothes is a bit similar to the Cardiophylax strap (makes it looks like his tunic is made of leather).

I thought it was some sort of animal hide, like another form of protection. So that was fabric, let me change it and lighten it a bit, more like a cream toned fabric.

39 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I thought it was some sort of animal hide, like another form of protection. So that was fabric, let me change it and lighten it a bit, more like a cream toned fabric.

He is wearing a padded armor, so a leather tunic under that  would be a bit redundant.

The part on the feet can still be brown (boots and hide greaves  were worn in Celtibeira).

Long sleeves in some depictions of Iberians are from the same vase as ''scale armor''.

Considering how the whole arm including e hand is in black; it is more likely that it is portraying bodypaint on the arms.

NWNPH57XQPNFPTSZVZJUM3UPWQ.jpg

• Thanks 1

One question is what is the white line in the middle of the arm.

The more common interpretation is that he is wearing a sleeveless garment with some kind of bracelet.

Or maybe a short sleeved tunic and the line is the end of the sleeve who is painted on a different color ?

Perhaps a mix of both (Bracelete worn near the sleeve).

EhMrDiBWAAAdtlk?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 1

On 29/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

He is wearing a padded armor, so a leather tunic under that  would be a bit redundant.

The part on the feet can still be brown (boots and hide greaves  were worn in Celtibeira).

Long sleeves in some depictions of Iberians are from the same vase as ''scale armor''.

Considering how the whole arm including e hand is in black; it is more likely that it is portraying bodypaint on the arms.

NWNPH57XQPNFPTSZVZJUM3UPWQ.jpg

Does it also imply that the headgear worn in the depiction could also be some sort of organic head protection?

15 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Does it also imply that the headgear worn in the depiction could also be some sort of organic head protection?

Likely, since they did not use scale.

Probably a cloth helmet with feather crest.

I think it may have looked like Osuna Helmet but shorter without neck flap.

madrid-spain-november-10-2017-young-iber

tumblr_inline_ns1qbuZbzH1rtdfb6_540.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@Ultimate Aurelian any reference for the possible tattoo patterns they used for their arms?

Based on what i read they were not tattoos but warpaint.

The vase was found in an Edetani site.

Similar paint may have been used in Celtiberia; article says paste was Orange, although most depictions have ig as black paint (Vase is monochromatic so it may have been a color other than black)

https://dc.uwm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=ekeltoi

Visual references (Have inaccurate scale armor, only using them as example for paint):

jinete-edetano.png 

4bff85d7b2272b4f91a6431c9781697a1fe223b1

27-0.jpg

• Like 1

@wackyserious @Ultimate Aurelian Probably we should make an exception for heroes about the scaled armor. I don't think scale+mail is credible but a metallic scale armor is not impossible for the highest level of society.

For the two swords and the shield hold by the arm, maybe it should be replaced by a javelin held with the shield on the same hand:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Genava55 said:

@wackyserious @Ultimate Aurelian Probably we should make an exception for heroes about the scaled armor. I don't think scale+mail is credible but a metallic scale armor is not impossible for the highest level of society.

For the two swords and the shield hold by the arm, maybe it should be replaced by a javelin held with the shield on the same hand:

If so instead of the ''scale apron'' (Misinterpreted cloth armor), it would be better to make it like Carthaginian scale armor (Idea being it was bought from their allies)

Caros and Viriato could have mail (It was used by Lusitanians and Celtiberians).

Indibil could get the scale one (Bronze pectorals were outdated in his time from what i read.).

• 1 year later...

FIPnyLdUYAEQ4a8?format=jpg&name=large

@wowgetoffyourcellphone Thanks! Here are the shield textures so far.

Modifying the old mesh is quite tricky, I am not that good with 3d softwares, I could try and push it a little more forward and see how it goes..

Waiting for a little more opinion on the stitched up cloth helmet before I proceed with the Iberian rework commit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think the Iberian scutum shield patterns could definitely use an update.

XKQEQBO.png

Also, as discussed last year, Iberian style scales are to be replaced with Carthaginian or Hellenic ones too, since the material depicted could likely be organic as how @Ultimate Aurelian shared information in this thread. But I will not be replacing nor deleting the textures just yet, I will just add the new ones as how they are

1 minute ago, wackyserious said:

I still kinda don't get alexandermb's shield-making work flow with variants and how to properly use them but I can make textures for it, yeah

I think I can make a patch for the shield "variant" files if you commit some new textures. If you make 1 to 1 replacements, then the existing actors can look better immediately.

• Like 1