Could a, not exactly great, solution be to increase the carry capacity for slower units? e.g. spearmen can carry 12 res instead of 10, etc...

I feel like the combat implications of having melee units walking as fast as ranged not to be good for gameplay.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These patches are related, so I bundled them in a mod: walls_a24.zip So people can try them out easier. This mod requires the svn development version (A24), mind, not the latest (A23) or ear

Today I started creating a gameplay mod for the current (svn) development version of 0 A.D. “Empires Ascendant”. Although there are already multiple gameplay mods, and the aim of improving gameplay fo

@asterix, @badosu, @borg-, @Boudica, @Feldfeld, @ffffffff, @go2die, @Lion.Kanzen, @nani, @PhyZic, @sarcoma, @sphyrth, @Thorfinn the Shallow Minded, @ValihrAnt, @wowgetoffyourcellphone, and others, I'd

Posted Images

20 hours ago, badosu said:

I feel like the combat implications of having melee units walking as fast as ranged not to be good for gameplay.

Again, D2884 does not do that, D2300 does.

Currently there is a backlog of about 50 open gameplay patches; see https://code.wildfiregames.com/search/query/4pPnEvE_Ol0A/ for a full list. Not all of them are ready to be merged; some have been ignored so far, and many need to be rebased because of commits in the months since they were last updated.

Earlier today I've rebased those patches that have been accepted at some point:

And a few others:

All of the above are ready to be merged. However, team members are very reluctant to commit anything that might alter gameplay balance, therefore more people are needed to have a look at these patches, and click “Request Changes” (if you think they shouldn't be committed in their current state) or “Accept Revision” (if you approve of them).

Edited by Nescio
two down
39 minutes ago, badosu said:

I wouldn't mind relaxing the criteria for releasing a24, however I'd rather have unmerged gameplay patches in the release than a worse balance than a23.

It's an Alpha. I know I'm in a Stark minority here, but shouldn't detailed balancing wait for Beta releases when the game is deemed feature complete? Or does alpha and beta or any of that mean nothing to the development of 0 a.d. hmm 

As I said, I don't mind a24 being released as soon as possible. I even advocated multiple times for reaching beta status.

But we have a player base, that's been dwindling (at least with regard to the competitive scene) with the lack of progress on balance/performance/addressing the dos issues.

Making at least one of the above worse does not help. But then, I was not even aware we had blockers for a24, especially given the lack of responses to raised questions about it on the forum (do we have a roadmap?).

That said, releasing a24 would do more good than bad for the momentum at the current stage.

Patchs risk 0: D2950 D2939 D2856 D2493 D2951 D2992

Patchs risk 1: D2972 D2866 D2843 D2853 D2863 D1762 D2886 D2993

Patchs risk 2: D2494 D2815 D2801

Patchs risk 3: D2507

Risk 0: Can be committed without biggest problems.

Risk 1: Slightly change the balance. No greater risk of damaging a new alpha.

Risk 2: Units or civilizations can benefit more than others, enough to make a new alpha boring.

Risk 3: It can completely ruin the current gameplay.

1 hour ago, borg- said:

Risk 3: It can completely ruin the current gameplay.

The ability to lame resources could definitely be problematic, but provided that there are significant nerfs to palisade stats outside friendly territory, that could be regarded as a non-issue.  Is there something I might otherwise be missing?

7 hours ago, badosu said:

As I said, I don't mind a24 being released as soon as possible. I even advocated multiple times for reaching beta status.

But we have a player base, that's been dwindling (at least with regard to the competitive scene) with the lack of progress on balance/performance/addressing the dos issues.

Making at least one of the above worse does not help. But then, I was not even aware we had blockers for a24, especially given the lack of responses to raised questions about it on the forum (do we have a roadmap?).

That said, releasing a24 would do more good than bad for the momentum at the current stage.

Beta would mean the game is feature-complete and no new mechanics will be added; 0 A.D. is not at that stage, hence alpha. There is a roadmap (https://trac.wildfiregames.com/roadmap), but no date. While team members are busy or working on technical and complicated tickets (e.g. upgrading SpiderMonkey 45→52→60→68→78), it makes sense to continue improving other things, such as art or gameplay.

Not every patch has to be accepted and committed, of course. However, if something seems an improvement or an idea worth trying, it's better to have it merged sooner rather than later, to give people playtesting the development version more time to figure out the combined effects of all changes and spot aspects that are poor and should be improved. If a committed patch turns out to be a change for the worse, it can always be amended or reverted.