Ratings Disputes and Offence Reporting (Discussion)

gator303

13 minutes ago, ethanray94 said:

@Sepelin I wouldn't bother reporting someone for leaving a ranked game. This always happens in every single game similar to this one and this game is no different. If anything your rank shouldn't be moved but the player that  left should be. No need to report. 

Other people behaving badly elsewhere is not an excuse for allowing people to behave badly here. If you want to argue for a change of rules, feel free to do so in its own thread, but as long as the rules are the way they are please don't derail these threads-

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ethanray94 said:

@feneur it doesn't even mean someone may be acting "badly" maybe they had a real life emergency. It happens, no need to punish them.  

It takes the same amount of time to press the resign button as the exit button, so if you are actively pressing a button to exit the game I don't really see that as an argument. Also, if you really have an emergency, why would you care about a few points in your ranking in a game?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are various reasons for the rating. I'll just give at least two:
1. Stat-padding - Some people just love stats, and get their self-esteem from that. When they realize that they're losing, they quit (or try other means not to reduce their rating).
2. Looking for Challenges - Competitive players want to play with other competitive players. And ratings help them find each other.

I agree with @sphyrth, while ranking is kinda broken at the moment it's still a reasonable measure if a player is decent or not, while not a guarantee that a 1400- user is nub it is that a 1400+ player is not 'cosmic'.

Another reason is that for tournaments and other limited roster events it's the official way to get in, e.g. I got only second bracket games for all SPG weeks (which means I had to play Valihrant and borg-in my first game) even after going from low 1400s to high 1500s. While I would certainly not have won later brackets I would have enjoyed being able to get there.

It helps with TGs where even if a host does not know you, he can see that you're not a cosmic. Cosmic players are unreliable, they quit games out of the blue or as soon as are rushed, they provide nothing more than a light deterrent for the opposing team in the best case scenario. In 1v1s they are more likely to quit rated games. Even if you are a good player, if others don't know you, you'll be put in the same category as above.

After I got 1450+ I noticed that the rate of 1v1 quitters has decreased dramatically.

My recommendation is that even if you don't care about ranking or 1v1, getting out of the 1400- will benefit you a lot.

This does not mean you need to be one of those 'rating farmers', players who stay online all the time fishing for 100+ rating difference players to crush and which claim to have 'skills only' but chicken out at any slight challenge. If you're a good enough player, can boom when necessary (p3 200 pop in 14- min) while also knowing how to not panic and throw units away when rushed or even perhaps scouting and rushing yourself, 1500-1700 would be the range where I'd expect to see you. That said, unfortunately this is the range where you find most inconsistency in player skills per rating, very good players in the low 1500s and borderline decent players at 1600+.

Also an interesting thing I noticed is that when I actually started caring about rating for SPG I started noticing more subtle details of gameplay that would give me an edge, had to learn how handle more competitive players and strategies for which I was unprepared before, and got a better insight on game sense.

The rating also keeps me accountable, I care for it, but not as a number to be optimized but rather as a symbol of what it means: do I multitask, rush, scout, boom, know more different civs and strategies as other players in the same range? If not, look for good players in that range and play them, learn what is missing and get better, it's fine to get a lower rating if it means you're evolving.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Juleferie said:

Well i don't see why you Basiliskos @Tramite have to put my name up without any proof of your claims, Juleferie has not quit a game since 1929! 

But in any case i would like to report Basiliskos for quitting two more rated games against me. 
@user1@Hannibal_Barca 

Basiliskos_quitter2.thumb.jpg.43c3f3c3107655697e11c5aaa57f482a.jpg

commands.txt 393.38 kB · 0 downloads metadata.json 46.89 kB · 0 downloads commands.txt 36.87 kB · 0 downloads metadata.json 17.09 kB · 0 downloads

now are u lying hahaha u are a quiter and because of that i quite

• 2 weeks later...

I have started to play the game recently and I have seen many times that I win a match but the rating does not change because the other player has left the game.

Reading on the forum I found that other players have the same problem. Is there any way to fix it that I'm not doing?

I have read that players that quit without resigning should be reported here:

+----------------+------------+
| player         | date       |
| UWND           | 2019-12-13 |
| Insignis       | 2019-12-13 |
| ITALIANEMPEROR | 2019-12-08 |

28 minutes ago, ironbar said:

I have read that players that quit without resigning should be reported here: