Famous Ancestors?

I was talking the other day with svede about family ancestors and heritage... that sort of thing. He turned out to have quite a few interesting charecters in his liniage. But, I'll let him tell you if he wants...

So do you have anyone famous in your family tree?

Here.. I'll give it a shot:

It is speculated that Robert Burns wrote a poem about one of my ancestors - Grose

My great great grandfather was in the cafe of in the middle of Spokane, Washington when the nearly the entire downtown was destroyed in 1889 - Klein

I'm related to Alexander Levski's.... cousin B) He was a great military leader in Bulgaria and liberated Bulgaria from Turkey a couple hundred years back.

My family lineage goes back to the Eastern Romans I think (all pure-blood Bulgarians have very dark hair, not black, just very dark, and pure blood Bulgarians come from the eastern roman empire area), infact the "Ognyan" in Ognyanov means Of Fire or Fire-wrought in some very old language. If you're wondering why alot of people from eastern europe have "ov" or "ski" at the end of their name, it means they're "of the ____ family" People in Poland use "ski" more I think.

I have a horse robber in my family tree - about 125 years ago he was hung. I don't know his firstname but his last was Martin (Mother side of the Family), and I am a 3rd Generation Croatian (Fathers Side). My grandfather(Fathers Side) was a counterinteligence operative who caught a Geman Colonel(among others) at the end of WWII ,who had escaped to Spain, in a short shootout! I guess they aren't really VERY famous, but all the same they are interesting and slightly famous. Good Idea for a thread Wijit.

My father's family on father's side is an old aristocratic Flemish family. We traced our family history back to 800 A.D., so the family is quite old :)

We had some important members. The first one to mention was an advisor of the Flemish count during the war with France in 1302 (which is a national celabration day for Flanders). Another one was baljuw (comparable to a mair now) of Ghent during the time of Charles V, he was tortured and cut in pieces because Ghent opposed Charles V. We had also one who was mair of Eeklo, a town close to Ghent, during the war between France, Spain and the United Provinces (The Netherlands & Belgium). He saved Eeklo because French and Spanish forces were planning to fight eachother in the neighboorhood of the team and planning to pillage it. He made people burn big fires around the town and the French and Spanish thought Eeklo was already burning, so they left.

Anyway, right now the family means nothing anymore, we lost our title during the French revolution, not that I want to be aristocratic B)

I'll have to ask my sister some more about this, she's done a lot of work in this area.

However, I do know that one of my ancestors fought under Francis Marion in the American Revolution. You say "who the hey is Francis Marion?"...well, have you seen the movie The Patriot? You know the part Mel Gibson plays as the "Swamp Fox"? He's modelling after Francis Marion.

Francis Marion

Wow. I have read a pretty interesting book about that time and I actually know who Francis Marion is... they used to call him "swamp-fox", right ?

From what I've read he was a tiny man but with great intelligence and courage. He raided the Britons a couple of years in South Carolina and finally made the way free for the battle at Yorktown where General Cornwallis was defeated and later they helped to drive the Britons out of Charleston which had been conquered two or three years before... anyone interested in the story ? B)