What Is The Most Efficient Way To Work ?

I made this thread, because recently I have had some problems with spending my time correctly. It's as follows: I wake up at 6am in them orning, have a shower, have breakfast, then be at the comp for 30 minutes. Checking the WFG forums and email. Then I leave for school and return at 5pm. Checking WFG forums and email and a couple other forums. Then I do my school homework (more or less carefully), code something or check back on forums/emails (yes I get a lot each day), have some MSN chat etc.

Then I would have dinner and do the same as some lines above till I go to bed at 10 or 11 pm. I simply have no time for learning for school so that my grades get a bit up again. My mother says I should revise stuff and prepare for the next day about 2 hours everyday. I simply don't have time for it, well I have, but then again I don't (you know what I mean).

How can I improve my situation ?

How do you spend your valuable time ?

Do you think you use your time efficiently ?

Is there some general rule how one should use his/her time ?

Let's have a nice discussion. B)

The most important thing in your life right now is school, you have the rest of your life to work, so learn as much school as you can now. I am a homeschooler so I don't have the same problem you have with school in the day, and homework at night. Create a sort-of time budget (thats what I do) seems like you already have one, but revise it so you can use your time more effefintly. Sometimes there are things that upset this 'budget', but don't worry its all part of life. Here's a suggestion - rather than scripting something, do some more homework - save the scripting till a more flexible time period. I also am rather busy these days, but remember school is very important. B)

I used to waste my time to stupid things about 2.5 years ago, that year I failed at school. Well, I was pretty lazy back then, wasn't really interested in school, so I got a very severe punishment: redoing my year at school. So, then I quite realized I should study every day. My mother also told me to study 2 hour a day, although I didn't do that. Best thing to do imo, is always making all your tasks, and study lessons of which you'll either get a test or aren't good at. I never studied for stuff like history, latin, english, etc., because I could get good marks without looking at it. So that saved me quite some time.

I did have to give up some stuff though, I left DGDN for example, I stopped designing and gamed a lot less. Especially (although odd to say being in a design team) gaming is a big waste of precious time. Now I had 3 months of vacation I wasted a lot of my time to that instead of doing some serious things like learning more php, reading more books, etc. Imagine you have a gf, then you have a lot less time, 1/3 to half of my time goes into time spending with my gf, so I had to give up more in order to keep doing the things I enjoyed most.

So basicly you have to find a balance between essential things (school, social contact) and your hobbies. It's not easy, but sometimes you simply have to give up some hobbies, it'll help you in the future. My "hobby filter" mainly applies to stuff that won't get me any further, like gaming, chatting, etc.

It's a personal matter though, but I really advice you to make some time free for school, failing a year is one of the worset things that can happen.

Thanks guys for the replies so far. Re-reading my post I realised that I spend much time everyday on the WFG forums. But then again we are currently about to take off, so I @#$% the webbie have to make sure there are chattyt opics etc. But I think I will have to make some sort of task planner or better scheduler, which I print out and always stick to it. Like coming home from school, relaxing 30 minutes, doing homework, revising stuff and prepare for lessons that I will have then ext day. Then come my hobbies. Yeah, that sounds good.

I also had some lengthy chat with my parents about the matter and they advised me to really make such a planner. They also asked me what I would have done if I had not had a computer. Then I asked them what their hobbies were back in the 60's and 70's when there was no comp. I was really surprised what they replied.

Speaking of that I realize that I waste really much with re-clicking on forums where I made one of those A-posts (A = very important) just to check if there is a new reply yet. That's really wasted time. Or double- and tripple-checking on my email account if someone sent me a mail regarding the A-posts and what not. I think I will have to keep discipline andm ake me such a planner and then really stick to it. Such a planner would also mean that I won't be on MSN so often, so send me either a mail or private message. Then I will check those only once a day me thinks, maybe twice if I have just made some A-post.

I think it's the right time now to become an adult and work efficiently.

Thanks again for your replies guys! Would be cool if we could gather more opinions. B)

*goes out willing to make a scheduler*

Yeah, screw that computer! away with the darn thing! B)

Strange how our lives differ from that of our parents, they had no pc, and for us it has become almost something essential. Well, not for every teenager, but the past 2 years (I'm speaking for my country now), tons of people of my age started using the pc and internet a lot. Most of them only chat with it though, atleast we do something useful with it B)

But sometimes I think back about the golden 60s, when technology still hadn't troubled our minds so much. Actually I wish I could live then, enjoy more the essential things in life instead of things that are just so superficial in reality. Maybe that's why I like surfmusic that much, that scene is the reincarnation of the 60s, or Sartre for example. Well, I envy my father a lot you know :)

Hey Klaas - your absolutly right, computers - tecnology for that matter - is the curse and blessing of the world. We have alot to envy from our family tree. Today, there is just about anything to take our mind of work, and our Creator. It's sick and sad to think that we used a our God given brains to come up with ANYTHING that will take our minds off Him, and what he is about. It's hard to live as a Christian today because there is so much to take my mind off Him - the world is so consuming - I don't mean to be preachy, but I hope you were listening. And don't think I'm one of those hippocrits you see going to church every Sunday either.

Yeah Quacker I'm a Homeschooler - have been all my life too.

Ah, good man Swellick *gives high 5*

Here is what you do Tim... don't turn on the computer in the morning, don't turn on the computer when you get home. Only turn on the computer when you finish your homework B)

Yeah... and I'm one to talk, I should be doing my homework right now B)

But, anyway, the point is to put your priorities on your schooling!

I personally find that if I need to get work done (WFG related), I have to turn of MSN messenger. Then I have to not post in every thread on the forum that I find is interesting... Stop surfing the net for the latest world and gaming news... and just start doing stuff. A few ours later I have some pretty good fruits from my labor.

So to answer you questions:

How can I improve my situation ?

Don't turn on your computer till after your homework is done. Not only is it good incentive to complete your homework, but you'll find you do it faster. Remind yourself that you are the only person who can discipline yourself. Its better to learn it now than when your 32 and fat, lazy and out of a job :)

How do you spend your valuable time ?

Besides homework (in this order) - Emails, WFG work, WFG forums, WFG chat, World news, HG News, surfing for tutorials

Do you think you use your time efficiently ?

I think I'd give myself the letter B grade right now. Could be better.

Is there some general rule how one should use his/her time ?

Fun stuff after the required stuff. Can't eat dessert before you eat dinner.

I agree with most of you here that school should be a bigger priority than anything else. If I do fun stuff (like posting here) first, I find it very hard to get to work on my homework. Try to do as much work as possible at school during times like study hall and lunchtime so you have less to do at home and can pursure other activities like sports or designing freeware RTS's like TLA and 0AD. And if you have a long-term project to do, I'd advise that you set aside at least 30 to 60 minutes each day for it so you don't panic at the last minute.

But sometimes I think back about the golden 60s, when technology still hadn't troubled our minds so much. Actually I wish I could live then, enjoy more the essential things in life instead of things that are just so superficial in reality

Ever been to Bulgaria? :D It's a very rural place, and very pretty too with the Balkan Mountains running through half the country. Bulgaria has got quite a nice culture, it's very family-oriented, virtually everyone in the neighborhood knows each other, and the main points of society are having a good time (which uh, translates into getting very drunk) and humor. Technology is edging on there a bit, but people don't spend more than 1 hour on a computer, let alone if they have one. It's a blessing and a curse at the same time. meh.

Let’s see, how do I manage my time:

Well, I get up, shower, breakfast, go to school, come back at 4:00

(School ends 2:45 actually, I spend the time between school ending and going home with friends),

4:00-5:00 (sometimes 6:00) I relax a bit then start on homework.

6:00-8:00, I'm on the computer simultaneously doing homework (typing papers up), my HG duties, go through forums, maybe start on something.

8:00-9:00 I find something to work on, check news.... things like that.

9:00-10:00 Relax, play a game or something, chat with someone, then turn off the computer.

10:00-11:00 Finish up homework (I am most productive and think clearest at night, that’s just who I am)

11:00-11:30 read a book to relax again

11:30-6:30 Sleep, good old sleep, and something that I can't quite get enough of B) , repeat cycle

Lately, I haven't been gaming much. In fact I think in 2 weeks I've only played 1 hours worth of video games. Bleh, my youth is spent :)

So here is my advice, Tim.

I hate to say it, but don't go on the computer after you wake up :D when you get up, 6:00-7:00AM (9:00-10:00PM my time) is the only time we get to talk to each other live, besides on weekends. However you'll have to give that up, don't go on the computer in the morning because then at school you'll be distracted because you're thinking about the stuff you couldn't get to in the morning, or be wondering what people are saying in one of your threads, or something.

When you get back, start on your homework first, if you'd like, put on some very loud music to distract you from the things you want to do (that’s what I do) If you've got a lot of homework, leave it for later on (if you're a night person like me, which I'm sure you are B) ) Then do your computer stuff. If you have a lot of things to do (like me) then do them at the same time, multitasking is a very nice skill to have. Just for an example, as I'm typing this I'm also making a news post at AOMH, downloading things, telling Kumar Shah some HTML, and also browsing other forums. Thank god (or rather the MS programmers) for the Alt+tab hotkey ;)

Music is a wonderful thing. I always have it on if I can, it really helps you work and keeps your mind on what you're doing.

Another thing: Make sure you're always relaxing. When I do my homework as soon as I get home I'm relaxing from school, when I do my computer stuff I'm relaxing from homework, when I'm gaming or doing something like that I'm relaxing from my computer work. When I'm finishing up my homework at night I'm relaxing in general, when I'm reading a book I'm relaxing from the homework I just did... If you're not relaxed, you'll become very stressed and irritable B) So always relax.

About schedules:

Try to make some, for example Tuesday is my AOM scenario downloading day, I look for a scenario to spotlight for Wednesday's Download Spotlight. Thursday I collect material for the Scenario Design Library, Friday I finish up any changes to The Library and also look for interesting community happenings, then I post my Community Weekly Summary which summarizes all of that. Now that's just my schedule for AOMH :)

And one last thing: Try to do your most serious work (studying, scripting etc) on the weekends, that way you won't be overwhelmed during the week.

Yet another last thing: Avoid making long posts like these that take up 30 minutes of your time.

Hey Swellick,

I was home schooled all the way through to graduation.

Then I went to college and it was so easy most of the time that I would procrastinate. Making a list of what I need to get done really helps.

I have a really bad short term memory so I will forget I even made a list sometimes so that doesn't really help all of the time.