Visual feedback for researching

I say go for it, Empires DMW had something similar, except it was all buildings, and it included unit training
at a quick glance it would be helpful for the host player himself to know whether or not a building is idle, as well as enemy scouting. that would add an interesting facet to the gameplay

Scouting with this mechanic would be even more interesting with split functionality barracks.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I say go for it, Empires DMW had something similar, except it was all buildings, and it included unit training
at a quick glance it would be helpful for the host player himself to know whether or not a building is idle, as well as enemy scouting. that would add an interesting facet to the gameplay

Scouting with this mechanic would be even more interesting with split functionality barracks.

Any idea on what could be done for other buildings? Blacksmith was the easiest (hence the example) but the other I have no idea :/

23 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Any idea on what could be done for other buildings? Blacksmith was the easiest (hence the example) but the other I have no idea :/

Trainees in the courtyard with training animations, stone and woodworking prop actors at the storehouses and workshops, all manner of things to make the building look used

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Trainees in the courtyard with training animations, stone and woodworking prop actors at the storehouses and workshops, all manner of things to make the building look used

Currently it's only for researching for trainees I'd have to write another patch... 

Wouldn't the storehouses look weird without props when not researching?

• Like 1

Yes, you can see which technologies are being research (globally), but you can't see which structures are researching or training something. This thread is about adding animations so you can see if a structure is busy. Simply adding a production status bar would serve the same purpose, be possibly clearer, and would work for all entities without having to add animations for every actor.

• Like 1

I really like building animations, and I don't think it's revealing too much, actually, in real life, you can see when a building is working or not.

Anyway, eventually, maybe the code could be updated to just show the animation to the player and its allies, hiding it to enemies?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Why would you prefer another status bar to a beautiful animation though?

I think Nescio is a practical man that likes practical things (No offense meant)

image.png

5 minutes ago, fabio said:

Anyway, eventually, maybe the code could be updated to just show the animation to the player and its allies, hiding it to enemies?

Having player dependant cmpVisual sounds complicated :/

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 15/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, Nescio said:

Yes, you can see which technologies are being research (globally), but you can't see which structures are researching or training something. This thread is about adding animations so you can see if a structure is busy. Simply adding a production status bar would serve the same purpose, be possibly clearer, and would work for all entities without having to add animations for every actor.

Yea but your solution is lame.